Predictive Text Input

Hi,

If this topic has been dealt with anywhere else, I am sorry, but I was not able to find it. I found some threads about how to turn off auto-correct, but that is not what I am trying to do.

I would like to know if there is any predictive text input function on the Fairphone 2, so a function that gives suggestions for the next input word based on already written text. Mine does only suggest words as soon as I started the word and wrote at least one letter.

In the keyboard settings, I found the options for text correction, but nothing about predictive text. The one that comes closest to it is “next-word suggestions”, but turning on this option does not change anything.

So does Fairphone even have this function and if yes, how do I activate it?

Thanks in advance!

There are keyboards on the Google Playstore which use this function. Basically mostly they work as sending all your input to their cloud and so they learn from your (and other people’s) typing and can suggest you the most fitting choices. They all claim they wouldn’t send your passwords and credit card numbers to the cloud, but for this, they need to identify these fields as such and you have to believe them they don’t spy too much on you…

3 Likes

I think what you are looking for is found in Settings > Languages & Input > Virtual Keyboard > Android Keyboard (AOSP) > Text Correction > Next word suggestions.
At least that’s where it is in Lineage OS.

1 Like

So it is correct that there is no such Funktion pre-installed on Fairphone devices? I would have to download an external keyboard?

No, as mentioned in the start post, this option does not have the desired effect. I am not sure if it is supposed to be, but it still does not make my keyboard offer predictive suggestions on the following word. It only gives suggestions for corrections or how to end a word when I typed at least one letter

These keyboards have to learn from you and ideally from other people’s typing: The more data, the better the prediction. This way the predictive database can grow and is quite huge. This offer can hardly be for free and is mainly paid by your data, some keyboards still cost additional money.

For lesser investment there exists solutions like the one mentioned from Paula and also other open source keyboards exists with similar functionality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.