Powerbank for FP3

Im eagerly waiting for my FP3 to arrive, but in meantime I want to buy a powerbank that can support the quick Charge 3.0 of my new phone.

What is the maximum voltage the FP3 can take?

Does it take all the way up to 12 or only 9v?

Some powerbanks list the following charge values. :

Output Quick Charge 3.0): 3.6V-6.5V 3A | 6.5V-9V 2A | 9V-12V 1.5A

So 12 is max and all good?

1 Like

You can find the information on the support page (or so I believe):

It’s 5V and 1A up to a max. of 3A.
The voltage, as far as I know, is not relevant for quick-charging, it’s the amperage (if that is a valid term?).

Edit:
As I really love mine, I use the chance to do some advertising again.
The Waka-Waka solar power-banks have an output of >2.1A for quick-charge.
So they might not be as fast as you can get, but they share the ethics of Fairphone (as well as the origins, 'cause they are from the Netherlands):
:uk:

:netherlands:

:de:
https://waka-waka.com/de/

5 Likes

Quick charge specs:
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/quick-charge-30

Up to 22V, at max 2.6A or 4.6A (though FP states max 3 Amp, so my guess is the 2.6A is the relevant stat to use). Comments elsewhere suggest maximum power used by quick charge is 18W, which at 2.6A would require around 7V to reach (and 9V at 2A). My guess is that it will still charge when a lower voltage is provided, just not as quickly. This is just based on the theory, I don’t know if the capabilities of the implementation in an actual device are dependent on other factors.

2 Likes

Just look for a powerbank with QC3.

This article (in Dutch though) from June 2019 is a great review of currently available powerbanks: 32 Powerbanks van 10.000+ mAh: nooit zonder stroom. There’s probably such a review on Anandtech or Ars or whatever as well, in English.

Another option is product search websites (where you can search for details of products to include or exclude). On a website like Tweakers.net (also Dutch) you can search for powerbanks with QC3. You probably have such websites for your country as well.

I know it isn’t a definite answer but it can help a reader along their search.

5 Likes

Waka Waka is fair and nice, but had a restart as the initial founders could not keep it profitable running.

Not fair, but fairly well-engineered I have an “Omnicharge” V1 with USB2, but now their portfolio also keeps several more items including this version with USB-C. Not as cheap anymore as when I backed it on Indiegogo though. But proper Panasonic 18650 cells integrated and keeping an approval certificate for transportation by plane. It’s stated being (one of) the strongest powerbanks on the market. They would also offer to replace spent batteries on return.

2 Likes

Just got a mail.
You can get a waka-waka solar charger at 15% off.

We are beyond excited to introduce our new website!
Check it out to discover all the benefits of going solar with WakaWaka,
and see how you can help spread access to clean sustainable energy around the world.

To celebrate our launch, here is a 15% discount code for your next order:
GOSOLAR15
Hurry up! It is valid for 3 days.

Go to: www.waka-waka.com

I am just a happy user of a “Power+” and a “Power 10” and in no way socially, economically or personally connected to that homepage or business / company.

2 Likes

How useful is the solar charger for the average person though? Say you commute by bicycle twice a day for 15 minutes, how much is it going to add?

I am not really sure, that I get, what you mean.
If you charge the powerbank by solar-panel only and just when riding your bike, you will most likely never get the powerbank fully charged.
I posted my opinion on the two different kinds of powerbanks here:

All waka-waka powerbanks can be charged using the power line as well.
The Power+ offers 3.000 mAh and a quite bright flashlight, that can be used as a light e.g. when camping. You most likely will not get the FP3 fully charged with this powerbank, as I was able to charge the 2.440 mAh battery of my FP2 with my (older) Power+ with 2.200 mAh only up to 70 or 80% (if I recall it right).
The Power 5 and 10 are rather big “bricklike” rugged tools, that offer 5.000 / 10.000 mAh. They can be used to charge more than one device and offer a port for fastcharging.
The solar panel of the Power+ is integrated into the powerbank and therefore quite small; the one for the Power 5/10 is a big foldable one (not exactly made for bike-use, though you might fix it on your back. :wink: )

If it’s sunny outside (also if not), place the solarpanels in the sun (light) and they will start charging. I never exactly tested how long it takes in ful sunlight, to charge from zero to 100%

Does this answer your question in any regard?

1 Like

@JeroenH’s question makes me wonder how often people will use a solar charge (in general, but also relative to the number of socket charges). If they only rarely get a decent amount of charge from sunlight, is it worth the resource investment to produce the panel in the portable charger, versus e.g. using those resources for a more efficient panel in a solar farm and charging the power bank from the grid?
I realise that If they need to be able to charge off-grid (extended trips away from civilisation), then it doesn’t matter how often the solar charge is used, but I wonder to how many people in Europe that applies.

2 Likes

A solar panel in / on a backpack or so, with a size of about 20x30 cm, can deliver 5-6 watts of power. This makes sense to “always have power” in a powerpank when you’re outside for several hours. With a small one integrated in a powerbank, you can power a led, but not really charge a phone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.