Poll: Should the Google Apps come preinstalled with the Fairphone?

OK, so Fairphone 2 will come with GApps installed (bad); but it’s possible to remove them completely without leaving traces? For me it’s very important

See my post from the other thread:

Hi Ben. I missed this, please where and when did they officially tell that?
What about root?

1 Like

Here: Support > Learn everything about Fairphone 2 > What operating system (OS) will the Fairphone 2 run?

In the same article, it says

[T]he phone comes with the industry standard OEM unlock feature allowing you more control over device.

But I’m not sure what that means and whether it refers to root within the pre-installed Android or to an unlocked bootloader or something yet different.

1 Like

No, because you don’t really need GApps. F-Droid and Aptoide do a decent job, location services are provided by Mozilla or other alternatives, contacts, tasks and calendars can be synchronised using OwnCloud, either using your own server or a hostel. The only thing that’s so vital that it’s a game breaker is the Google Cloud Messaging, which cannot be substituted with any alternative yet.

I believe it means the second, in any case all it means for me is I’m not buying :angry:

Thanks man.

@GasLoop

Thanks for you contribution. But this a generalisation: You might not need Google Apps, i do, especially the Play Store. For example: I use the DB Navigator App (german railways) almost every Week not only for traffic information but also for mobile ticketing. I bought a very good weather app and use Telegram and WhatsApp relying on Google Cloud Messaging daily.

@enos
Let’s see what the solution of Fairphone is for users that do not want google Apps,
i am pretty sure there will be one.

––––––––––––––––––

I asked a moderator to close this thread since the decision is already made by Fairphone and we have enough threads discussing the matter of Google Apps already.

2 Likes