Poll: Should Fairphone allow the development of third party hardware modules for FP2?

As posted by @deedend

• Yes, it should release the specifications of all the hardware (like openmoko)
  • Yes, it should release the specifications of the main modules (camera, wifi, etc.)
  • No, it’s better that the hardware is proprietary to avoid compatibility issues and other problems

0 voters

3 Likes

Yes, release everything, because I believe that having an economy around the FP2 can in turn boost the sales of the phone itself. See e.g. Raspberry Pi, Arduino, or even Apple’s “Made for iPhone”.

If I think about it, Fairphone should test the third-party-hardware and give them a "Made for FP2"label.

6 Likes

I don’t have a lot of experience with third party hardware modules. Do you have some examples of cool things made possible by this kind of freedom?

p.s. I’m sure there will still be parts of the hardware that Fairphone won’t have the rights to release the full specifications for.

1 Like

E.g. this physical keyboard for the Jolla phone. They have something similar to FP2 (back cover with interface, called “the other half”) and provide a developer kit for it.

3 Likes

this kind of freedom allow for example to develop a third part better or different main or front camera, another kind of usb port, a solar powered back cover, etc.

2 Likes

I’ll volunteer as a tester! :smiley:

Here’s a list of cool things we hope will be made possible:

2 Likes

I just hope that, if others start producing modules too, these will be at least as fair as the FP…

1 Like

If the specifications are releases it will be greate to have a place where consult how far a module is.

Agree to all.

Actually I already saw a FP-compatible(?) cover on a (likely not very fair) chinese website. I think allowing the development of 3rd party hardware would help goodwilling people make cool stuff (others won’t care).

1 Like

Sounds like a good opportunity for the fairphone to grow beyond what the company could do on its own.

4 Likes

I want a back cover made of solar cells please.

The surface would be too small with current technologies to create a meaningful solar back cover. Please also have a look at this discussion here:

Please continue here: