Playing with adb shell wm overscan

Hi. I am playing with adb shell wm. I found this https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/115484/resize-screen-to-display-only-on-working-part-of-semi-functional-touchscreen and I have tried not to use bottom of the display. However when I use adb shell wm overscan 0,0,0,300, the bottom icons of “favorites” move to the middle of the display.

Bottom part of the display is not used, but the part up to the middle of the display is used “partialy”, i. e. grayed when using Klar, reserved for favorite apps, etc.

My guess (only!) is that it’s due to software navigation buttons. Is it possible to not use the bottom part of the display but not broke the rest of the display?

Thanks.

Looks like having interefered with the “split screen” functionality with which you could display and interact with two apps on the screen at the same time.

I didn’t think about that. Have you got any idea how could I fix this?

The normal functionality would look like having a black middle bar, indicated by a small white bar in the middle of it. The bar can be dragged in the middle by pressing that white bar field and pulling it up or down till the top or bottom of the screen. Thenafter the split screen is gone.

I should mention I use Fairphone Open OS.

I am aware of the split-screen feature. I just didn’t consider it when I was thinking about why my approach does not work. I will test the split screen with resized display afternoon.

However, still I think that it shouldn’t be a problem. Also, it looks like the size of the favorite apps area is somehow related to the size of software buttons area. I would like to investigate but don’t know where to start…

Yes, the split screen functionality works exactly as described with Fairphone OS 19.12.1 (Android 7.1.2) and therefore most certainly exactly the same for Fairphone Open OS with Android 7.1.2

OK, back to my original question that worries me the most – how can I fix or report that the display does not work well when I use adb shell wm overscan 0,0,0,300?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.