Phone freezes a few minutes after startup, and must be shut down

Yesterday I took out my phone and noticed it had been rebooted. I might have accidentally pressed the power button in my pocket, it happens sometimes. When trying to enter the pin I noticed the screen was unresponsive. I pressed the power button and rebooted the phone. I could now enter the pin and log in on my phone. Noticed I had 1% battery left. After a minute or so, the screen became unresponsive again, and had freezed. I recharged the phone, then I rebooted it once again, and the same thing still happened. The phone works for a couple of minutes and then freezes. I have also removed and reinserted the battery to see if that helps, but the same thing happens anyway…

1 Like

Interestingly, when I press the power button, the dialog box that appears works, some of the times…

Another detail: When I use the power button to lock the phone and then press it again unlock the phone, I come back to the frozen screen.
Also, when I let the screen be on for a while a dialog box appears that says: “Fairphone Launcher 3 isn’t responding. Do you want to close it?”. I press ‘ok’ but when the dialog box disappears nothing happens.

Hi, i have exactly the same problem. This started happening after I updated tp 1.9.3. Have you also updated to the newest version?

1 Like

Yes, it started happening to me after the latest update too. Though not immediately after. I think I had the latest update for a few days before it started happening.

1 Like

Happened to my daughter, also after an update. Fixed it by foricing another update – it took multiple tries to finish the download and install the update. Seems to be working now.

1 Like

Could you explain what you mean by forcing another update? How do i do that?

It happened to me as well today, would love to get the answer.

hello,
I have exactly the same problem since last update (actually not just after but a few time after…) and I guess it comes from Hiccut. Saddelly, I don’t manage to remove it.

I have put my phone on safe mode then I can use it “as a phone” but I can use apps that I’ve downloaded all by myself.

But it is not a solution, please help us !!!

If you open the Updater app and go to Advanced Mode you should be able to re-apply the update.

Exactly the same problem here! Very annoying, basically makes your phone impossible to use.

I will try to install it again and let you guys know if it worked. Thanks.

Have exactly the same problems in my girlfriends phone, i just told her to do the update manually. if this won’t work, can it be an option to install stock android? We have that phone for a year now and there seems to be a lot of software issues, smaller or bigger. Would be great if stock android can fix those

Dear all, I tried to install the latest update again several times earlier this week but this didn’t work; it simply took too long to download the update again… the phone always froze before finishing the download.

After that I found out how to reboot in safe-mode. In safe-mode, I did successfully the most recent update. Next to this, I deleted all my recently installed apps. Later, back in normal mode, nothing changed: my phone still freezes after every few minutes.

Yesterday, I contacted Fairphone via telephone. The guy was friendly and helpful, but no real solution was offered: just advice on some procedures + reading out info from this forum thread… Plus, the suggestion to do a factory reset. But this seems overdone: all was working until the latest update. I prefer to just install an older Fairphone software update + I can’t back-up my phone now (and do the factory reset) because my phone freezes after a minute or 2 every time.

I sincerely hope that Fairphone will urgently look into this matter. Not being able to use my phone for almost a week now. Have switched back to iPhone 4 to at least be able to surf the internet every now and then…

I have the exact same problem, did anyone find a solution?

I tried to get the downgrade, but I can’t get it installed.

I got pretty far tho: rebooted in safe mode, downloaded the old verison als .zip file, launched it via the updater app, pressed install, reboot… and then I got an error.

I tried to find instructions on how to proceed but I can’t find the solution just yet (for example, here: How can I downgrade the fairphone OS to an old version?).

If anyone succeeds in installing an older OS version, please let me know how you did it and if it worked. Thanks!!

1 Like

My phone is working now. When I looked for updates in settings I found that the latest update was not installed. It said I was using 1.8.1 and not 1.9.3 (which is the latest update). I thought I had the latest update because I had updated fairly recently. Anyway, I managed to download and install that update and since then my phone has been working…

Mine is still the same, I have tried everything suggested so far and still not working. I really need a solution, I have the FP on safe mode but I need access to some apps. Any other ideas?
thanks!

For us the solution was to deinstall the Facebook App. Works fine for an hour now

4 Likes

Deinstalling Facebook App worked for me too, thanks a lot for the tip @rainer1717!!!

1 Like

Desinstalling facebook work for me also. thx thx

1 Like