FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

I have an nfc enabeled SIM card, but i can’t use it since my phone is not nfc, as i understood, the chip inside the SIM doesn’t contain an antenna, it’s just a bridge between the phone (wich have nfc) and the payment service
Not sure at all either…

[quote]The ability to use your SIM as an ATM card is dependent on a NFC-enabled smartphone (using Android 4.1. or higher)
[/quote]
Translated freely from this Austrian source

Why do they call this a “Bankomatkarte” (“ATM card”) when you can’t use this at an ATM?

And I think this is broken by design because it is not working on rooted devices. (That means that the security of a smartphone is overestimated by them. All Android devices except the Google Nexus ones :de: have open security holes now, so you can’t even trust your FP1/FP2.)

You can pay at wireless NFC terminals in supermarkets for example. I do use this. But with my NFC-enabled ATM card, not with my ATM-enabled NFC-phone. :stuck_out_tongue: I trust this little piece of plastic more than my phone to be secure.

1 Like

For financial transactions and the like you need two things: the NFC transmitter/receiver and a secure element. Usually, the secure element is embedded on a SIM in current banking setups (unless I’m very much mistaken). The communications are handled by the hardware on the phone. There’s an explanation of the secure element part here.

If the latest update to my local bank’s ATMs is anything to go by, you’ll soon be able to use it at the ATM.
[sarcasm] Actually, if they keep adding features at this rate, they’ll probably soon start dispensing free coffee while you wait for your cash. [/sarcasm]

1 Like

It has already been said elsewhere, but it seemed me interesting to add it here : an improvment would be to being able to know in which position the phone is in our hand when we pull it out of a pocket.

Currently, the FP2 is too symetric and I’m always seeking the unlock button.

A cover with striations on on half (lock button upper half or APN bottom half) should achieve this.

Or, having a soft and a rugged material in those bicolor 3D printed covers : Fairphone 2 3D printed casings available

1 Like

I thought so as well at the beginning, but now I’m recognizing the position very well. Just get accustomed to the phone. :slightly_smiling:

So why people change their phone.
Mostly:

• Display quality, for ecample iphone 4 and 6
  • CPU speed
  • RAM (not that often, but forced by the OS)
    -design

Yes some get bord about their phone, always the same look, that’s why few people used to have different cases.

So why not some cases, who would change the look of the FP like bicolore cases.
Cases with a fake screen.
3D cases, if you put the phone on the screen the back would look like a valley with little hills and a river. :slight_smile:
Wooden cases

I moved your post here. In the first post you can see our list, it’s a wiki, so you can add to it.
As you can see, bicolored cases already exist.

Hi, I edited the wiki twice about a non-symetric back-cover, and a hifi sound module replacement.

Then I saw that an Emergency button for elderly people is categorized as “Less realistic” while it would be an easy hardware (just a button connected to the back expension-USB port…) and an easy software : if the button is pressed, try to cal 3x times each, 5 pre-selected numbers. An new push stop the process after the 1st successful call.

It is THE best 1st concrete use of the expension USB port to deploy. Ping @dvl
(and let’s have this new cover not symetric !)

If you read the full headline you see it says “less realistic for FP2, unsustainable or niche features” and an emergency button for elderly people on a 500€ smartphone is definitely a niche feature.

1 Like

Yeah, because:

• There is no market for it
  • So it is niche, but it will get no headlines
  • Mostly software, which I do not do
  • Will be more expensive than current systems that work better
  • Needs to GUARANTEE safety like current systems in place

So: no.

2 Likes

Hello all
What would you think of a docking station ? Like laptops do.
The point would be to

• keep a simple light phone design for street use
  • put it on the station while sitting somewhere and use extended hardware possibilities

It could

• hold the phone tilted as in @paulakreuzer picture
  • be a power source for charging the phone
  • have a few usb ports (hub) for attaching USB add ons
  • power those add ons
  • optionally have a high quality sound output jack or RCA

That would require to have an easy and reliable connection between a custom backcover and the dock. (magnetic ?). Do you think this could be something realistic ?
This would be quite universal, as many of the extensions suggested here already exist over USB. Have a look at this wiki ✏ FP2 : USB device compatibility to see current study about compatibility.

1 Like

There is already a solution: http://shop.fairphone.com/accessories/thefairphone2nightstand.html

But still this doesn´t solve problems with other well known problems along with the now “old” version of Android. Besides this the battery capacity is not that what you or me did expected,

The nightstand is only a ‘stand’, a piece of wood to hold your phone. While it seems pretty and do its job, it doesn’t include any module or connector. You still have to plug the micro USB cable to the phone to charge it.

I’d vote for an updated camera for FP2.

The actual one is pretty mediocre sadly, and doesn’t even support the Camera2 API, thus, being useless for advanced videographers. I expected FP2 to not handle 4k (neither UHD/DCI), nor having a great lense, but not supporting the Camera2 API is a real let down. Apps like Cinema 4k (advanced color profiles, manual expo/focus, bitrate & resolution, etc…) relies on such API.

5 Likes

Do advanced videographers actually use phones ???

It’s good for casual use, I mean I’m happy with it, and take my Canon EOS with me when I need more quality. But i do like the fact that it the modularity could be pushed further, and several camera models made available for buyers to choose from.

1 Like

Yes they do. Well at least I do :slight_smile:

I actually shot quite a lot of footage with my LG G4 and my Lumia 930. Sure, this is not the best quality footage ever, but I don’t always have my camera with me, and sometimes, a phone is the only handy thing :wink:

BTW, with cinema 4K, or similar app, you can get full manual control, like custom profiles, encoding bitrate, …, so you can easily get more from your camera, and use the resulting footage in real projects.

But that’s what I love with modular design. I can hope for an updated camera module, from FP or 3rd party. Or even a DIY one, since connections are standard :slight_smile:

Sure it won’t compare with a gopro or the like…
But I would appreciate a working focus… And I couldn’t manage to record to sdcard with opencamera, the videos disappear and aren’t saved anywhere… I will try your app cinema 4K.

The FP2 camera doesn’t support the Camera 2 API, so you won"t have any manual control with Cinema 4k :frowning: