✏ B2G beta (formerly Firefox OS)

Hi,
there is a poll regarding the supported device by B2G, the new Firefox OS. Please vote for fairphone 2!!!

2 Likes

There ist a poll for Hardwaresupport of B2G…

What devices do you want to be supported next?

Regards, Novski

1 Like

Yes, it is the same that I reported just the last post. We can vote in order to have support for fairphone 2.

1 Like

Hi,
there is a Telegram group of B2G.
The wiki of the transition project.
IRC channel and Mozilla discussions.

2 Likes

My side is able to build the whole firefox code, and get .img files. but after i flashing system.img, boot.img, and recovery.img file, my phone is not able to enter home screen, and stop at a state where screen always display “loading…”. But adb command is working. and i check with logcat log, and see below logs, Does anyone has the same issue?
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_ctl_tx_msg: qmi_qmux_tx_msg failed
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_ctl_handle_request: qmi_ctl_tx_msg call failed
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_qmux_open_connection: connection is disabled for conn_id=48
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_qmux_tx_msg: failed to open inactive connd_id=48
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_qmux: TX failed, connection inactive or in reset, conn_id=48, status_flags=4
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_ctl_tx_msg: qmi_qmux_tx_msg failed
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_ctl_handle_request: qmi_ctl_tx_msg call failed
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_qmux_open_connection: connection is disabled for conn_id=57
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_qmux_tx_msg: failed to open inactive connd_id=57
E/QC-QMI ( 340): qmi_qmux: TX failed, connection inactive or in reset, conn_id=48, status_flags=4
E/sdcard ( 322): missing packages.list; retrying
W/Atfwd_Sendcmd( 321): AtCmdFwd service not published, waiting… retryCnt : 4
E/sdcard ( 322): missing packages.list; retrying

Apparently, the B2G Installer add on (which you can use to more easily install B2GOS on available phones) now has support for Fairphone. Note that it is a developmental build of the operating system.

Instructions on how to install the add-on are here:

Post about Fairphone2 support here:

2 Likes

Build can be flashed from FPOS-GMS 1.2.8 ROM, not FPOS-OS nor earlier FPOS-GMS.

I’m flashing FPOS-GMS and trying it, :wink:

Edit: For those of you with fastboot devices showing no permissions on Linux, last step of B2G Installer won’t work. Fix it appending this to the end of /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules (replace <user> with your username):

# adb protocol on fp2 (Fairphone 2)
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="d00d", MODE="0600", OWNER="<user>"

Then, reset udev service by running sudo service udev restart

Hi NicholasZ!
Im glad somebody is steping in here to help. I can confirm i have the same issue. I reported it to the same bugfile that lasts from begining. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1248718
Can you maybe try to upload your build.log file as well so Juan has the information he needs and he sees that the issue is not only on my side. (because its working on his side…) So we are already two that have the exact same issue.

@Roboe: did the B2G-Installer work on your side?

Regards, Novski

Hi novski,
I had quite the same issue. In my case the phone hang on the loading screen and the display got black. But then I tried the b2g-installer with Juan’s image and it worked fine (including wifi but i didn’t try cellular data). As @Roboe said, I tried it with a backup of the original image but I didn’t try the FPOSOS image.
Another interesting issue is that, when I flash a self compiled userdata.img to my device to get all languages, I end up in exactly the same situation as you, the loading animation continues but nothing else happens. So the problem could be located in the userdata partition.

sebastku

1 Like

B2G Installer with other than FPOS-GMS shouldn’t work because only that image is listed on B2G Installer metadata.

Wifi worked for me with Juan’s build (B2G Installer one). I didn’t tried mobile data, but I had some issues with phone calls, SMS receiving and plane mode not switching off. Juan stated on Mozilla’s Discurse that the build was not stable (as it’s a 2.6 pre-release)

im a bit confused. how can i do what you did @sebastku?

I only flashed Juan’s blobfree version with the b2g-installer. And just to try out I flashed a userdata.img of my previous build, because Juan only compiled gaia with the English location. There’s a manual to build B2G with multilocale: link
Normally flashing another userdata.img should not be a problem, because this image should only contain the gaia profile and the apps.
Wold you like to add a passage for the wiki of how to compile B2G with a Mac? I don’t own a Mac and I don’t know whether the information of the mdn page is obsolete or not.

do you have a link to that blobfree build of juan?

Yes the file is here. As I mentioned in the Wiki you can find the link in the builds.json file.

Hi there!
It’s my first post, so greetings to the forum!

I am a little bit confused: does any of the builds actually really work? Read: does LTE, wifi, … work, such that I can use it as a real smartphone? I’d like to try B2G, but atm I am on Sailfish OS and would have to flash 1.2.8, then B2G, and if it doesn’t work flash the older FPOS and Sailfish OS…
Could you give me a hint before I try?

As I use SFOS on a daily basis, I am used to forgive some bugs and problems :wink: So I consider OSs with flaws as usable that some android-users wouldn’t touch :wink:

Best regards
Thomas

Hello Thomas and welcome to the forum,

I would propose you to download/compile an image of twrp, so that you can switch between the images easily. For the backups you need a micosd card, because they would be erased otherwise. So if anything doesn’t work you can just switch back to sailfish OS like as nothing happened before.
I only tested the b2g-installer with the original image as mentioned, but I can tell that at least wifi should work and I am almost sure that cellular should work also. For the b2g-installer i used the manual of mdn (and added it to the wiki) but unfortunately the b2g-installer also flashes the recovery, so you need to flash back to twrp manually.
By the way, I tried to connect to the eduroam of our university and recognized that the certificate manager of B2G 2.6 does not work properly.

I hope that I could help you,
sebastku

Yes, that was very helpful, thanks!
I’ll try it as soon as possible, sounds like a good way to not break too much :wink:

Cheers
Thomas

Thanks @sebastku!
I managed to install B2G over the links you provided. But it wasn’t easy to find out how it works.
So to summ all:
Parallels and Ubuntu 14.04 in the VM does not work.
My Native Ubuntu 14.04 on my Mac Hardware didn’t work as well becaus Mozilla Nightly download stoped with an error about the certificate i have or miss. I wasn’t able to find out.

1. Finaly i made a new user on OSX.

2. Installed this Browser called “Nightly” (was hard to follow that it has to be a special browser…! :grin: )
    on OSX just download the .dmg and install: https://nightly.mozilla.org/

Try this in Terminal on Ubuntu:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk

And even harder to understand where to find the preferences! For all those who whant to follow:

1. type in the URL field this: about:config

2. Then use the search to find this line: xpinstall.signatures.required ->and double click it.
    If the Font gets bold it is already good and you can go on with:

3. pasting this to the URL field: \o/ B2G Installer v0.9.9 \o/
    I don’t know where Windows users can find help here but i was able to download ether the linux or osx version.

4. then install also this: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/fxos-simulator/adb-helper/mac64/adbhelper-mac64-latest.xpi (from the lowest link here, called adb helper: Directory Listing: /pub/labs/fxos-simulator/ )

5. be sure you have 2 GB of free space and

6. type this to the URL Field: about:b2g-installer

Now a nice userinterface comes up and you can follow the instrucitons if your phone gets recognised.
If not try to enable Developer Menus in the Android setings tapp 10 times on the device info build number.

• And enable USB in the now showing up developers menu (main system menu).
  • And have a look to the
    Terminal command for Ubuntu:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
    add the Line below in the Top of that file and replace user with the current of your Ubuntu OS:

adb protocol on fp2 (Fairphone 2)

SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“18d1”, ATTR{idProduct}==“d00d”, MODE=“0600”, OWNER=“< user >”

I can confirm that

• Wifi now works but
  • not so LTE. Im not able to get 3G Data.
  • The Rotation of the Camera works fine but the
  • Video i made wasn’t able to be played back…
  • Phonecalls work,
  • Messages work,
  • Telegram works,
  • Music works,
  • Browser (on Wifi) works, the
  • Clock and the Alarm works! (and have wonderful alarmtones!!!)
  • Calculator doen’t work,
  • Notes app doesnt work,
  • Usage hangs on the let’s go screen (may be related to the 3GLTE problem)

All in all its a wonderfull system. Many thanks to everybody who invested Time to make that so nice…
Regards, Novski

Edit: Added exact explanation and Typo because of a call over at https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/update-suggestions-for-archiving-firefox-os-pages-on-mdn/8161/42.

2 Likes

I flashed twrp, 1.2.8 and with the addon the offered nightly and had to realize, that cellular data isn’t working for me, too. Tonight I might try the build you linked, hopefully I’ll be more lucky. (What doesn’t work, too, is any of the 4 offered CardDAV solutions :frowning: But maybe that is a topic to be discussed elsewhere.)
Is there any alternative like a 2.2-build to flash?

Cheers!

Hi, i have loaded the B2G from Juan and have the same issued with chargers that are not working as i had with the Default FPOS in January (1.1?) so im not sure how that is possible. Do you have a idea why FPOS 1.2.8 charging has changed and can you explain why its not a mater of the blobs?

Regards, Novski