✏ Adjustments to the Forum software

I agree that the 20char limit may be beneficial. Additionally, I think that the link limit is all right as it is - if someone is mentioning that he/she can not post a link, a mod can probably help?

Your e-mail response point is valid. (And I can access the edit history.)

3 Likes

One thing I’d really like to see changed - but I might be the only one - is the search function.

• When I hit cmd+f (mac combo for “find”) sometimes the Firefox site-search function opens, sometimes the Fairphone Forum search function does. I don’t see a pattern and it’s usually the search function I don’t want at the moment.
  • I use “Add to Searchbar”, a Firefox Plugin that let’s me add any website’s search function to my firefox search bar, so e.g. I can quickly search imdb, whosampled, dict.cc, and even search the Fairphone support pages as well as do a reverse image search. The only search function that doesn’t work for me is the Fairphone Forum search. (Maybe because it’s a pop-up.)
1 Like

There is a long discussion on discourse meta about this: https://meta.discourse.org/t/options-to-disable-hijack-of-cmd-f-ctrl-f-and-keys-for-search/16875

For me, using firefox on Ubuntu/Linux, ctrl+f , does not trigger forum search here, but does on meta.discourse.org :confused:

@paulakreuzer How did you do this nice shortcut “icons”?

1 Like

…and then some text to reach the 20 character limit. :wink:

3 Likes
  1. I read somewhere on meta.discourse.org that they are implementing a search page in addition to the pop-up, so hopefully, when the Fairphone Forum receives a new Discourse version, you will be able to use it in “Add to Searchbar”.
  2. According to the Keyboard Shortcuts (Gosh, I can’t even link to that pop-up… --> Click the hamburger above and select “Keyboard Shortcuts”) of the Fairphone Forum, the key for Search is / (“Slash”).
1 Like

Adding a note here from @paulakreuzer:

Make sure you migrate old polls when you update the discourse software.

1 Like

How does using the keyboard shortcuts and the / for searching relate to fixing the problem of a universal search/find?

Does it work now?

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=

Unfortunately no. Add to Searchbar still doesn’t work.

In Preferences I can watch track and mute categories and I can mute users. Wouldn’t it be cool to be able to watch users? E.g. I’d like to watch @ben and @humorkritik to never miss any of their interesting posts, I’d also like to watch the other moderators and the Fairphone staff and as a moderator it could be interesting to watch “shady” users to make sure they don’t turn out to be trolls. :smiley:

Also I think it would be cool to have a link to all my watched topics on my profile (or somewhere else). There is a way to see them, by entering “in:watching” in the search field but that’s not a very elegant solution.

2 Likes

Do you guys think we should install the solved button plugin?
We could enable it just for the help category.

Btw, I’ll only add my suggestions to the wiki post if they get some likes. I don’t want the forum software adjusted to my personal desires if I’m the only one who desires them! :wink:

4 Likes

There’s a longstanding discussion about this on Meta. The developers keep saying it’s something they’d like to have eventually, but it’s just not a top priority. They always prioritise features with solid use cases and good mockups, so if you have something in mind you should definitely pitch in on that topic.

1 Like

One more thing: How about we abandon the rule that polls can only be updated for 5 minutes? Or at least grant moderators the right to update them later on?

3 Likes

I would agree but if only moderators could change them, because there should be a control on modifications, especially if people voted before changing the poll.
Bye! :smile:

3 Likes

I noticed that links in posts open in the same window as the original post. I’d like to suggest for external links to always open in a new tab.
Reason:
I was just reading the suggestions someone posted using external links, and when I clicked a link I lost the original post.

4 Likes

I meant users can upload to some image hosting site and link to it so readers get the image only if and when they want.

There do not seem to be much automatic compression if any;
There are a couple images here that are in megabyte size. When the subject grows like this thread, one have to scroll down several times and have more and more images load… it take a while…

Maybe the forum software can be set to paginate a subject?

1 Like

@Morgano
I believe Stefan is right. If you want a picture to show up in your post - and not just link to it - it will automatically uploaded to the system and not linked to another source. The only alternative would be to upload a thumbnail to the post and link it to the picture from an external source.

I don’t think this has anything to do with the images. This happens with any long thread. But you can click on the post indicator in the bottom right corner and then tap “top”, “bottom” or enter a specific post number to navigate quicker.

2 Likes

OK thanks.
This is my first day with this kind of forum software.

2 Likes

Not sure if this a good place to mention it … I can also open up a new topic … but is it possible to switch off notifications for “new posts” for an user?

I like to edit my posts a lot to reword them or because I found more/better information. But every time I do that (for a new “last” post), people get notified about “updates”. Can that be changed for me as a user setting in the software?

Thanks.

To clarify @fp1_wo_sw_updates is talking about these kind of “notifications” for tabs open in the background. (Firefox)

or

Maybe I’m the only one affected by this because I use this function to see if there are any new posts on the forum. When I’m not browsing the internet but doing something else I crop the window of the program I’m using so I can still see the tabs bar of my Firefox window.

Alternatively I could “watch” every topic on the forum. Then I’d get the “real notifications”
( ) for every new post (and not for edits, unless I’m mentioned or quoted in the edit), but I don’t want to change my settings and the way I use the forum just because of @fp1_wo_sw_updates’s “edit escapades”. (no offense ;))
e.g.:

1 Like