Out of space message for any apk I try to install on fresh build of FP Open OS

I have successfully built and installed FP2 Open OS, following instructions provided here: https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/dev/fairphone-os-build-instructions.html

However, each time I try to install an apk (F-Droid, others), I get the message

“”“
Out of space
F-Droid couldn’t be installed. Free up some space and try again
”""

Storage settings say that internal storage has 24.94 GB available storage.

Do you have any idea ?

I trust you with the 24.94 GB, but could you post a picture of your phones storage? (Settings -> Storage Settings). Is it a “clean” install? Have you wiped your phone before? Have you “played around” with options like disk encryption or fast boot before?

Without knowing more, I would try a hard reset and reinstall. But maybe others here have better ideas so better wait a bit :slight_smile:

Thx.

Here is a picture: http://www.cloudooo.com?__ac_key=119149169172113163167167164174158160172160198156172198206161214181174
(I could not find a better way to share)

Have you wiped your phone before? -> I think so, I used TWRP to wipe cache, dalvik and data

Have you “played around” with options like disk encryption or fast boot before? -> I do not think so

fastboot: is this what I used to install the system ($ fastboot flashall) ?

encryption: I touched the menu and did nothing further.

hard reset and reinstall -> I will try to find out what this is

Actually I tried again to reinstall after using TWRP to reformat internal memory. Same issue.

I now tried with an official build of FP Open OS (fp2-sibon-16.06.0-image-userdebug.zip) using fastboot install approach.

Everything worls with the official build. This is not really what I expected.

So:

• fresh buildof FP2 Open OS does not let me install apk
  • official build of FP2 Open OS lets me install apk

What could be the difference ? How can I get a self-built FP Open OS to support apk installation ?

write rights?

Spielmops

1 Like

could be. I will check.

Thanks for posting all the information. Yes, I think a read-only fs could maybe trigger a similar error message. Maybe @Spielmops has a point. I’m not sure what kind of error code is returned/used. I thought the error codes for disc full and read only differ, but it’s been a while and maybe there is some kind of layer around all this.

If you install apks how do you do this? Using adb? The recovery? Clicking on them with a filemanager? Have you enabled root access?

If you use adb like adb install my-app.apk what kind of error message do you get?

If you install apks how do you do this? Using adb? The recovery? Clicking on them with a filemanager?

Clicking on them with a filemanager

Have you enabled root access?

No

If you use adb like adb install my-app.apk what kind of error message do you get?

I will try. I am now rebuilding from sources using an LTS12 instead of LTS14 Ubuntu, just in case. It will take a few hours

I moved this to #software:dev since you use a self-compiled OS and no one seems to have that issue with standard Open OS.

I moved this to #software:dev since you use a self-compiled OS and no one seems to have that issue with standard Open OS.

I confirm: no issues with pre-compiled Open OS downloaded from this site.

Issue with self-compiled OS based on official build instructions.

I am still rebuilding OS with a 12 LTS Ubuntu instead of 14 LTS. I will post news soon.

I have succeeded to recompile and use Fairphone Open OS. I used Ubuntu precise distribution. My build environment is a NayuOS laptop with chroot made by crouton.

I had to retry a few times. It seems that the code download process and build process is not idempotent. This means that stopping build in the middle can not be recovered sometimes. I guess there is nothing much to do about this. Even git has this problem in some rare cases.

I use now F-Droid and APKPure appstores. I got some nice Free Software (920 Text Edtitor, Flym, K-9, Termux, OsmAnd). I could run Waze, Line, Wechat, FB Messenger.

Some apps do not work though (ex. Autolib) because of lack of google play services and location support, even though I tried all NLP plugins. But that is OK for me.

One note: I deactivated the default Email and Internet browser. This makes my system more reliable because the default Email client was always crashing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.