Orange Manual Selector bugging me since system update

@teezeh : it bugs me because it makes notifications come up and runs in the background, and I can’t uninstall it which is insane ! Just it being there using my phone battery bugs me.
I would like a new update to get rid of it.
What if Orange, Free, Bouygues, SFR, etc, all had apps like this sending notifications at stat that we had to disable by hand ?

By the way, what is adb ?

1 Like

Yes, it’s annoying and there is no reason why it should be even there on the phone. But you can silence the notifications by going into Settings -> Apps and Notifications -> SEE ALL xx APPS then look down the list for Orange Manual Selector and turn of notifications.

There is also the option to DISABLE and to FORCE STOP, but when I first select either of those, I get a warning that for disable “Android and other apps may no longer function…” and for force stop “if you force-stop an app, it may misbehave”.

Other than the rather dubious use of the verb “may”, I find this quite unclear and possibly misleading.

Really, the solution is to NOT INSTALL THIS CRAP ON THE PHONE, and to allow Orange subscribers to install the app at their own leisure.

1 Like

The only problem of this “crap” is that it has been activated accidentally in the latest update, that is all. There is so much other “crap” on each and every phone out there, but nobody gives a damn, because people do not even know about it, and it does not influence the OS in any way while disabled.

So, please come back down. It is true that it does not look very nicely, and this glitch should not have happened at all, but there are far more serious issues with the phone than this one…

1 Like

So do you mean it’s OK to put crap in the phones, as long as no one knows about it ? Is that so ? So I suppose it’s OK if for instance your conversations on your phone are spied on, as long as you don’t know about it, or it doesn’t influence your everyday life, until it does.

As for your second argument, we should not complain about this because it’s a tiny bug, we should indeed consider ourselves lucky that it’s the only thing we have to complain about since a lot of people have bigger problems, right ? Well, I don’t agree with that either, because some times I complain about somebody misbehaving in the street, like spitting on the floor, or letting his dog poo in the grass, and the person tells me I should feel lucky I wasn’t hit on the face or spat at, so I should come back down and shut it. So there are far more serious behaviours I could complain about.

So I can’t really agree with you, because even though it is a very small bug, first this happens, then next time it will be 2 apps, then 3. Even though they might be bigger issues, I found this extremely intruding and I thought, with its bright colours and the Orange name appearing, that it was a hack or a spyware, that my phone had been installed with some kind of virus, during update.

In the end, it’s not that big a deal, like I said in the fist post, I have disabled it right away, I was just bothered by the fact I couldn’t get rid of it for good.

3 Likes

Unless you know what that Orange app really does to your phone and your data, please do not call it “crap” or similar. First, you should gather some information about issues you want to complain about, otherwise it is “Trump rhetoric”:

“This app is a very bad app, I have seen thousands of thousands of Oranges spread all over the display with my own eyes! So sad, it is true! We must fight these very, very bad and tremendous Oranges to protect our nation against them, and our precious phones! Fairphone have done a very bad job, they are fired! Apple first!”

1 Like

That’s Google’s “Android Developer Bridge”, a tool that connects to your phone via USB and allows executing some more low-level commands, like e.g. uninstalling apps that your settings does not allow you to remove.

1 Like

FP3: stock ROM available? - #7 by Snafu :wink:

Just a guess.

1 Like

Please post the source of the information. I am not dubious about it, I just want proof. Thanks in advance.

Oh, BTW: Your phone carrier knows which numbers you dial. So scary…

The source was the NetGuard log on my FP3 back in December 2019 which is now unfortunately not available anymore. And of course I don’t know if the app is still doing it, since it’s not a feature of /e/ which I switched to.

Please post the source of the information.

Addition: Orange wasn’t my phone carrier back then, since it is not available here.

1 Like

The point is that this is a widespread app, so by now at least one journalist or security guy in the world should have found out if this app spies on people or not. I did a quick search, but I have not found anything with regard to such accusations.

Actually, that has been a joke, because it is quite logical that a provider must know about phone numbers in order to establish phone connections for us to be able to talk to each other…

You posted a joke.

Snafu replied with a joke.

Whoooooosh.

There are so many spying apps around nowadays, it’s a difficult task because of the sheer mass. But seriously, if I use a domain name “track.analytics-data.io” like they do, I would hardly expect an e.g. update server for new versions.
I will have a look if this app is downloadable somewhere and see if I can find out for you.

I have that app too with free provider! What’s that, anybody really knows?

I also got this silly app that is pointless for non Orange users. I do my best for reducing the number of applications installed or activated on my phone and this one is especially crazy to receive as an “update” as it should only happen to Orange customers, and only if they bought their phone from Orange. This gives me big doubts about Fairphone’s behavior regarding their customers.

No, this is not the only problem. It is taking up space on my phone, and it has been installed in such a way that I cannot remove it from the phone…

This seems to contradict one of the main pillars of the Fairphone ethos, as declared by Bas van Abel. If you can’t open it, you don’t own it.

My argument is that being able to open it is just the first step towards understanding the device, maintaining, upgrading and repairing it. Part of maintaining the device is being able to remove superfluous software (“cruft”) such as this Orange Manual Selector.

Please tell us, what other “crap” is on the phone, then. Even if it is not influencing the OS while disabled, it is still taking us space on the phone.

Well then, here you go …

In fact you can open it, you just need an appropriate “screwdriver”. Yes, it is not so easy to open it, and yes, it has been a mistake. Now, compare these two arguments to some other manufacturer: No, you cannot open it, and no, it has not been a mistake.

I have been referring to the “crap” many users install on the phone, without even knowing that it is “crap”, because it runs in the background and is not visible, unlike the “Orange Manual Selector”.

You are cherry-picking, reacting to the introduction of my argument rather than to the argument itself. Moreover, you seem to be trying to insult my intelligence by pointing out that it is possible to open the device… How do you think I managed to put a SIM card and an SD card in the device, if I don’t even know how to open it?

This is news to me.

As far as I can see (but I am simply reading the posts, not reading the minds of people who have not posted), the posters contributing to this thread have been discussing apps that were installed on the device before shipping…

Sadly i have this ‘orange bug’ too and oddly some two or three years ago ee took over orange and terminated my orange contract, i couldn’t even unlock my ‘orange’ phone. So what this app is doing is inconsistent and inconsiderate, so the blame lies with Fairphone/Android/Google for not being more thoughtful. Sad days but i’ll keep on consuming this rubbish as that’s what you get when being picky.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.