Option to limit charging to maximum 80%

How about this?

Buy one and report!

4 Likes

Dude, thatā€™s awesome. I donā€™t like that I would have yet another hardware piece to keep track of, but the algorithms described on that page are exactly whatā€™s needed to prolong longevity. Why this hasnā€™t been built into phone OSs is beyond me, but at least this is a relatively universal solution.

Not sure yet if Iā€™ll be buying one to test out or the 4 pack, but I can tell you that Iā€™ll be giving this guy some cash. Iā€™m probably going to look into replicating this with an Arduino and a relay for my wifeā€™s and kidsā€™ laptops, I do not enjoy ripping the battery apart to replace dead 18650 cells and trying to cram it all back together.

3 Likes

Not convinced that it does what it says and wouldnā€™t even try it if was free with my breakfast cereal.

Can you name any technical reasons why? Or is it just your feeling?

3 Likes

If you canā€™t work it out from the site that sells it I will not go into details. Just look at the graph they use from batteryuniversity it says more that enough, it says nothing and is irrelevant a distraction and . . . .

So you have no solid arguments.

Which graph do you mean? I cannot find it on their websiteā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to play your all day argument game ~ today :slight_smile:

1. Save your combative tone for someone else, it sounds very immature.
  2. How was I supposed to know that this is the graph from batteryuniversity?

The graph does not say much, indeed, but that alone is no reason against the product itselfā€¦

1. You wanted to argue, not me :slight_smile:
  2. You read the site more carefully.

As I said I have no inclination to argue with you and even feelings, are statements of fact, they are not arguable in the manner you have previously engaged in.

Still if you donā€™t get it, you donā€™t. It wonā€™t cost the earth to buy one and try it.

Have fun, the sun is shining here :rainbow:

I had NoScript blocking some content on the site.

No need to exaggerate.

You speak in riddles. What shall I get? You have not mentioned a single technical reason why this product was badā€¦

Like I said the sun is shining here, hope you get some soon.
Exaggerate?, You could read site more in more depth, itā€™s there is plain text, donā€™t ask me where please ?

ā€˜soundsā€™ is a key

Are you trying to troll me?

You should be so ā€˜luckyā€™ :rofl:
The issue is the product you advertised. I donā€™t like it, thatā€™s a fact and not an argument.

The data shown in the graph is not relevant to the associated text, again not an argument.

There is no agenda to get you to argue the issues, but you picked up on my statements and here we are.

a) The first is a statement by me which you choose to challenge
b) The second is a reference to the site which you didnā€™t notice

Whatā€™s the problem with my assertions?

The topic is about the idea of Fairphone providing an 80% charge option and the subsequent add and my opinion are rather spurious.

Discussing my response to your advert may become a little more than a little disturbing, but of course you do have that option.

If you would like to continue the discussion about the product you mentioned it could be done elsewhere, but I would rather not bother, though I will answer if you decide it is important to garner more of my views.

So what? They decided to lay it on thick, which is what my employer sometimes does, too, in a sales conversation. But the products he sells are fine.

Your assertions do not refer to any technical specs or details of or experiences with this product, but you badmouth it anyway.

Why? The product seems to do what initially has been asked for.

I will not prepare another place for your self-stagingā€¦

2 Likes

A regular

smartphone battery
loses up to 20%
of its capacity per year
due to overnight
full charging.

Thatā€™s a fact.

And I earn up to 10.000 per month. Thatā€™s a fact :man_facepalming:

We already know this just is untrue with FP3 and recent phones. It was even untrue with FP2. You really gotta be into SM if you manage to degrade your battery by 20% per year. The curve goes down a lot in the EOL, sure, but not in the start. I donā€™t like marketing BS like this.

2 Likes

Yes, I saw that, too, but did not know how to read/understand the graph, so I did not want to argue about it.

Neither do Iā€¦

1 Like

They donā€™t specify what the lines represent.

I tried to order one, they try to upsell packs and by default includes a 3D printed case and (as usual in US) does not include VAT. So I think it ended up with ~38 EUR for one.

It also requires a (proprietary?) app for Android/iOS.

The website broke at https://chargie.org/checkout/ and I could not fill in S&H or payment details. So beware ordering on phone (I was using Firefox).

2 Likes

I would say it is legit to have a proprietary app to control and monitor a self-developed device, to prevent stealing code proprietary. But to gain more trust in the company and the product itself, I would like to see reports from at least one independently performed security audit.

Thanks for the warning!

1 Like

I, and Iā€™d like to think we, prefer modular hardware, open hardware, and FOSS. This piece of hardware is none of that.

I would like to know how it works. The app doesnā€™t have or require root, but I wonder how it talks to the USB device.

Right, at least they could reveal this part of code, since it might describe a method that is not related to the charging procedure itself. Just speculatingā€¦