OpenVPN in Fairphone Open

Is there a way to install OpenVPN in such a way in Fairphone Open that ALL connections (both wifi and cellular and also any connections made during startup) will be routed through the VPN?

2 Likes

Android 5.1 Lollipop has a native VPN feature. I’ve not tried it, though. Does it not reroute all the network traffic? :confused:

Edit: In fact, I use the VPN feature with NetGuard, which creates a local fake VPN to block WiFi/mobile data access per app, and I had no problem at all with it.

Openvpn is not supported by Android 5.1 :frowning:

I use the openVPN app which routes wifi and cellular traffic through VPN.

1 Like

Could you provide more information about this? How to test, where to download the app, what is failing, etc.

If you go to the settings of the Fairphone 2 and go to the VPN settings, you’ll see that OpenVPN is not an option to choose there.

In the meantime I downloaded the OpenVPN app recommended by @freibadschwimmer and that seems to work great.

Just one thing I can’t seem to do yet is to have it start earlier so no connections are made outside the VPN while booting. I wish I could restrict network access on my phone to be VPN-only…

Yeah, unfortunately this app doesn’t even have autoconnect on start up. I haven’t found yet an app doing what you are looking for. I also tested this app for some time, which actually works fine and can be set to autoconnect on start, but its not open source. And I guess you still have some bytes going without VPN before it is connected.

Edit: I just checked: apparently one of the more recent updates braught along an “always on” function in openVPN, I haven’t yet tested it, but looks promising :slight_smile:

Edit2: I have tested now a bit with the “always on” function, and seems to work fine. Connects soon after boot and keeps VPN connection alive also through switching connection types.

I only see you have to configure it. That’s the behaviour I expect. Do you mean OpenVPN should be a preconfigured option? There are a lot of VPN services out there with different endpoints.

I have this same issue with NetGuard. There’s an “VPN always on” (or similiar) option on VPN settings, tapping the three upper dots. It doesn’t list NetGuard for me, but you may have better luck with OpenVPN.

OpenVPN is a protocol. The protocol is not supported by Android 5.1. There is no option to choose OpenVPN in the default settings app of Android 5.1.

Only PPTP, L2TP and IPSec are supported as you can see in below screenshot.

Where do you see you can configure OpenVPN? I do not mean OpenVPN should be a preconfigured option. I mean that it is not supported. And indeed, there are a lot of VPN services out there with different endpoints. The one I use only supports OpenVPN and from a security perspective that is also the only one I want to use.

Yes, this seems to work rather well. Best possible option for now I guess.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.