Old and new camera photo comparison + new module general discussion

I got my new modules today and made some comparison photos (fixed, not handheld)
but i don’t see a big difference.

IMHO the difference between using stock camera software and GCam on the old module is bigger than the difference between the stock camera photos of the old and the new camera .
Old - Backside Cam

Old - Selfie Cam

New Backside Cam

New Selfie Cam (i don’t think i focussed correctly)

I would have loved to compare old GCam with new GCam pictures, but haven’t yet installed a new working version of it (i take recommendations if you have some)

i am interested in seeing if i reccognize the image stabilization on the one hand and maybe better low light performance on the other hand.
Also i wonder if audio recordings will sound better - i forgot to make a before and after test in this regard.

3 Likes

That’s my impression as well. On a completely arbitrary 10 point scale I would give the old camera a 4 with the stock app and a 7 with a gCam port, and the new camera a 4.5 with the stock app and a 7.5 with a gCam port. Completely subjectively and without having made a direct comparison, just from looking at photos taken in different settings with these 4 scenarios.

Since nobody has answered @Antoine’s question yet I will repeat what I wrote before: IMO it’s not worth the change (yet). I would cancel the order and reconsider if and when FP releases better software that actually takes advantage of the theoretically better sensor.

Edit:

I have only tried Nikita’s 7.4 port (link in the Google Camera thread) and am very happy with it. The post-processing is very fast (never more than maybe 5 seconds, often less), the results look pretty good and I haven’t had any issues with it.

2 Likes

In good light conditions I don’t see much difference but I defintely see them in poor light conditions!!

3 Likes

@Iris_VdB Could you elaborate? For example, with which app? Which differences? Could you post examples of photo comparisons?

1 Like

I ordered my FP3 from a Dutch mobile phone webstore, so not the Fairphone shop, and just received an email informing me about the FP3+ and the new camera modules. They are also running a discount on the modules, I didn’t realise they would be available in other shops too! Pretty cool.

The discount amounts to the same total as the Fairphone shop discount, by the way, although it seems there’s a separate discount for each module, whereas I think Fairphone had a deal on the two modules combined?

For interested Dutchies: it’s Belsimpel.

4 Likes

Got the same email. I chuckled when I read their copy in the vein of ‘good news, Fairphone owner: you can now buy a new Fairphone!’ when that’s not exactly in line with the idea of Fairphone.

Also, PSA to Belsimpel users: their contracts are cheap because they gather and sell user data, you have to go into your account settings to opt out.

2 Likes

Nooo the email actually said you can have a 3+ if you now have a 3 by updating the modules, without buying a new phone.

I just bought my phone through them, not my contract.

I kind of wish I had bought the modules there, too. The whole point of buying my phone there was having full control over when it would arrive. My modules have been delayed by Fairphone…

3 Likes

I got my modules yesterday, which were a bit expensive due to the Norwegian taxation system. Price ended up as 74€ for the modules, plus 35€ extra for importation tax as Fairphone isn’t registered in what is called a VOEC-scheme. Fairphone would be wise to register here as it would make the Fairphone a lot more affordable! Not that I blame anyone, I was aware when ordering the modules. :blush:

In terms of the cameras: I feel the difference is small in the camera app (Except the shutter speed, which is much improved!). However, for me, the cameras are performing a bit better in social media apps like SnapChat (It ain’t perfect, not by a mile, but it’s flowing better). This is especially true for the selfie camera, which kind of works better than the main camera? Maybe it’s got to do with comprimation and settings in the app and in the OS?

Will test the cameras further and give further thoughts later. Let me know if you have any Q’s!

3 Likes

I think they’re sending different emails to (former) customers based on what phone they have. In the email I got they say explicitly that I can now replace my FP2 with a brand new FP3+. Their marketing department isn’t missing any beats, it seems!

1 Like

I think you are right @uodalricus, a better software will make the difference. Open Camera is distroying the photo. Compare RAW photo with Open Camera result, it’s just obvious.
Other software give better results (A Better Camera for instance).

I regret that Fairphone has jumped into this marketing stuff. It has created a lot of confusion for nothing and expectations what will not be met.
A smartphone may be a “ok” camera, can play music, does average coffee ( :wink:). But you have Cameras for good photos, Hi-Fi stereo for good music listening and coffee machine for good coffee!

1 Like

How does “a better camera” app work with FP3/FP3+? Is super sensor mode supported?

I’m thinking of getting the FP3 or 3+, not sure which one yet.

If it’s any cheaper, there’s loads of used camera modules on the market forum now. You then only need the but the rest of the parts to assemble a new phone :slight_smile:

That’s not possible, you can’t buy all the parts.

The negative comments speak for itself.

Thank you, rae, for speaking up. But again this is SO typical Fairphone. And I am a customer since FP1.

You sell something before ensuring that it is really working, or reliable or whatever.

I understand that you can do that as people are intrinsically motivated to buy a fair phone, but it is so disappointing and embarassing!

4 Likes

I 100% agree @anon18561511. Quality control is not what it should be.

I can accept paying a premium for Fairphone’s principles, instead of a cheaper, less ethical device with comparable/better specs.

However, it’s frustrating when issues come up that are seemingly due to lack of care.

1 Like

Hi @maciekpruski,

Welcome to this forum!
You will discover here a lot of interesting opinions… if you have time to read a lot of posts :wink:!

I don’t know if A Bette Camera will support Super sensor mode. Good question. Do photos resulting from super sensor 48MP have differences that entail specific processing modes ?

FP3 or PF3+
If you don’t have a real camera and High quality picture is not your main goal, I would buy a FP3 only (-50€). Then, if really needed in one or two years, buy the 48MP+++ with newly adapted firmware, software and processing (+?55€ +?32€ front).

Anyway, it’s a good idea to buy a FP3xy and also consider using another OS than G00gle, for instance /e/.
Good luck!

1 Like

It has been mentioned before and i have to repeat it: This “48 Megapixel” camera is unable to take 48 Megapixel photos - it’s a disappointing if you think about it

They advertise it as 48 Megapixel Camera and only in the small details they say

48 megapixels resolution with 12 megapixel output

It’s kind of funny, i bought 2 new cameras and the selfie cam has a higher resolution (16MP) than the backside camera (12MP)

3 Likes

It has also been mentioned that …

… which sounds like overkill.

The resolution in itself is nothing to be disappointed about. The question is … does the 4-sensor-pixels-into-1-output-pixel process do any good for the photos the camera makes? Is it an improvement compared to the old camera?

There seems to be some room for disappointment on that front judging by the posts in this forum, until Fairphone perhaps manage to decisively improve the camera App.

3 Likes

Thanks @domino7 !

Generally within “a better camera” app, the super sensor mode is one with more advanced processing, something like the gcam. It is in the menu for various extra modes and options, along with things like panorama, HDR etc. My current smartphone is not supported though, I’m curious if the FP3 or FP3+ would be compatible.

If anyone has the app installed and could check it for me I’d be very grateful

1 Like