Official LineageOS 18.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

:+1:
from another satisfied LOS 18.1 user :slight_smile:. Thanks to the developers and testers for all your hard work! Youā€™ve inspired me to try building LOS myself. Looking forward to potentially helping in the futureā€¦

1 Like

Is there a way to figure out whether the problems with Magisk come from the LOS-side or from the Magisk-side?
I mean, if it comes from the LOS, @dk1978 or @TeamB58 maybe could help and fix it, otherwise we should contact the Magisk developers, right?
I normally use Magisk, therefore I would like to have an idea whether I can use the LOS with Magisk or not in the future.

1 Like

I will look into the Magisk issue when I have time. I had no problems, but that is not saying much since everybody takes a different route for installation. I had the Magisk app patch my (self-built) boot image and reflashed it.
It would be helpful to have detailed steps from anyone experiencing problems, with that I can replay everything on my development phone.

1 Like

I had no problems. I extracted boot.img from the LOS zip, patched it with magisk, and flashed it via fastboot. Worked fine, uptime right now two days three hours

Iā€™m still at the LOS 17.1 with patched system via Nanodroid Patcher and microG.
Since the Nanodroid Patcher is not working with LOS 18.1, Iā€™m thinking about switching to LOS+microG 18.1 build.
Looks like LOS+microG being built regularly again.

Should I upgrade to offical 18.1 first before migrate to LOS 18.1+microG? (adb sideload migrate.zip and then adb sideload build.zip)
Or should a direct upgrade from official LOS 17.1 to LOS 18.1+microG work?
Can somebody recommend one of the two ways?

I would like to avoid a clean install and keep data and apps :grimacing:

Did someone try the update from LOS17.1microG to LOS18.1microG? And including or excluding Magisk?

I have a similar question if I go from LOS 18.1 to LOS-microG 18.1 do I need to make a full wipe? And if so how as in LOS Recovery I can only make format data/factory reset. But after that LOS 18.1 is still installed - as is a rudimentary Magisk.
And have I to flash the LOS recovery of microG as well?
Unfortunately itā€™s not only the patcher who does not work on LOS 18. Flashing of Nanodroid microG (via Magisk and/or recovery) left me stuck in boot. OK this could be solved but the method to give signature spoofing via Riru LSPosed and FakeGapps did not work either. So my last chance with LOS 18.1 on this Handy seems to be LOS-microG 18.1

Yep, I did. Selfcheck does not check all boxes, especially the top section. Still try to figure out whether I can get it up and running. Besides that everything seems fine!

Edit: Iā€™m not using Magisk.

Soooā€¦ I am still on 17.1 LOS4Microag.

The Updater of LOS4Microg offers me an OTA update from 17.1 to 18.1.

Is it safe to do this? I have Magisk installed, should I uninstall? Would it be safe without Magisk?

As written above, microG does not seem to be setup properly in 18.1, so currently I would not recommend to do the update if you rely on GCM or so.
Being unsure about what you mean by ā€˜safeā€™, Iā€™ve not realized any data loss or further issues.

1 Like

Sorry, it wasnā€™t clear to me that you upgraded via OTA, maybe I overlooked it. :wink:
By ā€˜safeā€™ I meant that I get a phone without bootloop and with working microG. Not losing data would of course be nice, too.
So, if you upgraded via OTA, the answer to my imprecise question would be: No :wink:

Have you flashed an microG installer as well? Because I had success - but may have taken a different procedure:
I made a full wipe (but this might not be necessary), flashed LOS-MicroG 18.1 and the respective recovery, reboot, installed Magisk.apk, reboot in bootloader and via bootloader in TWRP, flashed Magisk.zip, reboot, Busybox via Magisk, reboot and than I used as MicroG installer the MicroG of FriendlyNeighbourhood Installer: GitHub - FriendlyNeighborhoodShane/MinMicroG: Sources and scripts for MinMicroG installers. You shall find. Flashed it via Magisk - this worked I have now all boxes checked, spoofing works, the patched Playstore works as well

1 Like

I did both ways:

• Extracting boot.img, using Magisk app on LOS 18.1 to modify the boot.img, flashing boot.img with bootloader
  • Directly flashing/installing Magisk with magisk.zip using LOS recovery and TWRP

Both methods result in non-booting LOS which is crashing during startup. I also tried those steps with LOS4microG-18.1 with the same results

I first installed LOS-18.1 adb sideload with LOS recovery then later switched to LOS4microG-18.1 also using adb sideload with LOS recovery. I donā€™t know whether a direct upgrade is possible but if you backup all your stuff on your phone you could risk it. I made the experience that if something with an LOS upgrade went wrong and resulted in an non-booting OS (e.g. the recent Magisk-issue), I just had to reflash the LOS without any data loss. But a backup is still highly recommended.

I think an upgrade from LOS4microG-17.1 ā†’ LOS4microG-18.1 should work without any issues. A backup is still highly recommended. As it is always before doing some OS upgrades.
After the upgrade, the boot partition is overwritten, which is why you would have to reflash Magisk. But a lot users (including me) werenā€™t able to flash Magisk successfully, resulting in an non-booting LOS.

No, you donā€™t have to make a full wipe. you can dirty-flash it with LOS-recovery. The LOS-is included within the LOS-18.1 installation-zip so you donā€™t have to install it separately

For me, all the microG selfcheck checkboxes are marked as workingā€¦

I thing the update is safe. For me LOS4microG-18.1 is working flawlessly.
And no, you donā€™t have to uninstall Magisk. It just wonā€™t work after upgrading to LOS4microG-18.1 since the boot partition - where Magisk is located - will be overwritten during the upgrade. A lot of users are facing issues after flashing Magisk under LOS-18.1 which might result in an non-booting OS. So for now you might not be able to use Magisk with LOS-18.1. But of course you could try to shlash the Magisk.zip with LOS-recovery. If you wonā€™t be able to boot the OS afterwards, you just have to reflash LOS4microG-18.1 with LOS-recovery

For me, LOS4microG works without any issues. All self-checks seem to pass without a hitch:

3 Likes

I just did superficial tests with LOS microG 18.1 and it seems to work well

• self-check for microG is fine
  • bluetooth works
  • GPS works
  • Auto brightness works, but I am not using it regularly, wasnā€™t there a dimming effect once?

It worked for me, going straight to LOS microG 18.1

3 Likes

Hello, to Magisk Bootloop Problem :

I read in other forum that somebody flash the Version 21.4 and its OK. Then upgrade with the magisk APP to Version 23. Have someone test this ?

I just upgraded from 17.1 latest version to the latest 18.1, following the Upgrade instructions from the LOS wiki. I did have OpenGApps installed before and re-installed it. I did not use microG or Magisk. Everything worked flawlessly, all my data is still there. Thanks so much to everyone involved in this project!

1 Like

Iā€™ve found my battery life on the latest LOS+MicroG to be a pretty steady decrease with no noticeable Android dozing or idling. Assuming this might be a ROM or user error, are there any tools handy to monitor this more effectively? My previous phone with a similar app setup would often have a much flatter graph during idle times.

Worked like a charm! :+1:
Thanks

Just finished installing LOS 18.1 with pico OpenGapps (no Magisk, no microG). Everything mostly appears to be working, including WiFi and GPS. Havenā€™t tested NFC yet. The auto brightness issue is almost unnoticeable, it just went down to lowest brightness once so far under normal daylight.

Edit: NFC appears to be broken for me based on testing with the german ID card. I canā€™t get it to read the card even with the bumper and the back cover removed.

For those of you who are using the microG-build and want (in-)app-payment-support (like I do), I created a quick and dirty Magisk-module that replaces the preinstalled FakeStore with the patched Google Play Store from Nanolx. I am a bloody noob so donā€™t expect too much. However it works flawlessly for me and it should also work on other smartphones and other Android versions of microG-builds. If you are brave enough to try it, please let me know if it works for you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes