Official LineageOS 18.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

Depending on what apps you’re using it might also be a memory problem. I activated zram (and am experimenting with how much seems to be the optimum in my case, right now I’m using 512MB), but reactiveness is a lot better.
I still have a copy of a payed franko kernel manager where this is easy.
I would start with @dk1978’s suggestion, though

1 Like

Hi there!

First I want to say thank you for all the effords which have been put in bringing LineageOS to Fairphones!
Then to my question: I have a Fairphone 3 with LineageOS 17.1 (20210524). Now I have the problem that the phone shows “can’t read data” after the first boot does’n complet and the phone starts booting again. (I can imagine no reason for this, since I don’t recall doing something (like OTA updating etc.) which might have caused this.)

My question is: Might it be a good idea “just” to upgrade to 18.1 via the normal way? (Install LOS + Magisk via Sideload via TWRP)

Best,
Philipp

Is it possible to have Wifi calling in LOS 18.1? There is an option in the settings to activate it, but if I do so and dial ##4636## to show the IMS service status, it will say “Voice-over-WLAN: Not available”. I know that my carrier does allow VoWifi because it worked in stock rom.

Update: Unfortunately I had problems installing the current LOS 18.1, but I tried multiple times. Now I’m back to stock rom because I really need the phone.

I will look into this.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. If you have time and feel like trying again later, PM me here on the forum or contact a Fairphone Angel so we can look into the problem.

My impressions of the auto brightness fix is that it’s still the same behaviour, it just that the lowest brightness setting is higher now, so it’s not as noticeable. All in all, it’s not annoying anymore.

I’m still having issues with NFC, I’m unable to pay with it or read my ID card, both of which worked before switching to LOS.

I also noticed that two different apps seem to be unable to use any data connection. I’m not sure if this is because of LOS, some OpenGapps weirdness, or the apps themselves. Although now that two apps show problems independently, I’m starting to think it might be a common reason.

which apps? and which mobile provider are you using? I think I have read about issues with t-mobile using ipv6 settings in the APN settings…

The APN doesn’t say anything about IPv6, I’m on a german reseller of E-Plus. Both apps also don’t work on WiFi, or on VPN connections, so it probably aren’t the mobile network settings that are broken.

The Apps are S-Invest and Endlos-Quiz Pro, both installed directly from the Play Store.

I have been using WiFi calling since 17.1, also works on 18.1. Dialing ##4636## displays an error dialog however…

It’s *#*#4636#*#*.
The forum software uses asterisks for formatting (notice the italic characters in the source), so it doesn’t get displayed that way if users type this string without working around this behaviour.

3 Likes

The solution is achieved by using the Pre formatted option shown as </>

i.e. type
asterisk hash asterisk hash 4636 hash asterisk hash asterisk

with no spaces and then highlight the text and click on the Pre option.

If you don’t like the look, you can also type backslashes before the asterisks (escaping them), but I don’t know how future-proof that is, perhaps some future forum update might disable backslashes as escape characters and make the backslashes visible … *#*#4636#*#*.

Well since you asked for suggestions, I would suggest you enable developer mode in the Settings menu (you will find instructions online), then hook up a data cable, install adb and run adb root, followed by adb shell top, to look for processes that are slowing down your device.

I have finally access to my linux box with adb. Nothing is strikingly unusual with the output from htop. Load average about 3-4. The com.android.systemui takes the most memory. The system_server process takes the most CPU time and is active now and then. I do notice, however, that com.android.gms.persistent have lots of CPU time. What is that?

After some further examination, I notice that com.google.android.youtube runs in the background, but I don’t use that app (only occasionally because YouTube is better in the app than in the browser). What kind of devilry is this?

Hmm on my phone the Google process does not have outstanding cpu time. Which gapps did you install?
Also, maybe it’s possible to put youtube into battery optimization? I’m using alternative YouTube players

Uninstalling YouTube made no difference. I’m beginning to think it’s a memory issue. I notice that apps keep getting killed when switching between them. The systemui process takes a lot of memory
Is that normal?

So how will you know that you are using WiFi? Is there an icon showing up?

Up to now i was the only one complaining, i think :slight_smile: IIRC, stock os had zram activated, and on LOS it’s off. I activated zram via franko kernel manager, and i think my device is snappier, and less apps get killed. Was experimenting with different sizes, and settled at 512MB at the moment.

1 Like

Yes there’s a WiFi symbol on the calling screen, from the moment I click the (green) ‘dial’ symbol in the dialer.

Also, sometimes I got feedback from others I called, that my voice was partly cutout, which I could solve by disabling WiFi. Another proof that I was then actually WiFi-calling :grinning: