October '15 production and delivery update - Blog

Iā€™m totally patient, I appreciate this is a new phone and I donā€™t mind (within reason) how late it is. I do however mind that someone canā€™t spend 10 minutes either writing a blog post or updating us on the forum, because that is all it would take. Then Iā€™d be happy to sit and wait.

3 Likes

Hey you all,

Sorry to keep you waiting. There is currently no news. Delivery for the first phones is still planned to start mid December.

Trust me if I say we here at the office are just as excited and impatient as some of you here. Does someone here have good tips to relax and make the waiting more bearable?

3 Likes

Yes, regular updates :wink:

4 Likes

I sense there is a reason that there have been no news for a week:

So why would you expect him to write an update when there are no news? Just trust those folks that they will tell us when there are news.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œdouwe, post:55, topic:10635, full:trueā€]Does someone here have good tips to relax and make the waiting more bearable?
[/quote]

Ok, so since the delivery is uncertain, how about the release of the source code and the tools to build a google-blobs-free AOSP version of the Fairphone OS? I think this could be a very nice way to relaxā€¦

We are working on that and it will most likely be released before the first phones are shipped.

5 Likes

I donā€™t want to keep going on about this, but there clearly is/was news as there was a problem with the PCBā€™s and production didnā€™t start on the day stated.

1 Like

Hey Jon,

There is clearly stuff happening at Fairphone. Some of us are currently in China, talking with Hi-P. Some of us are talking with Google about our Open Source version of Android. Some of us are unboxing the new T-Shirts that just came in (YAY!).

But that we are working, does not mean we have news or updates every day. Sometimes we are here biting our nails until test results come in (SAR and iFixit) or when a small part of our team is doing investigations. Just like you, I am waiting for news to arrive from China about the PCBā€™s.

Making a Fairphone is a process and results (and news) come at the end of that process. In the meantimeā€¦ weā€™ll have to relax and accept that making and delivering phones is not a walk in the park.

9 Likes

I get it, I appreciate everyone is very busy, this is a huge undertaking and I think Fairphone is going a good job. I think though that rather than highly polished blog posts detailing a number of items, a slightly rougher more regularly update post would be helpful, daily isnā€™t neccessary as everyone is busy, but I donā€™t think once a week is too much to ask.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update Douwe! :smile:
I have to admit that even your statement that there are no news is more satisfying than no statement at all.

ĀæMay I haz t-shirt? :grin:

[quote=ā€œDouwe, post:55, topic:10635ā€]
Delivery for the first phones is still planned to start mid December.
[/quote]Getting very excited! :smile:

[quote=ā€œDouwe, post:61, topic:10635ā€]
In the meantimeā€¦ weā€™ll have to relax and accept that making and delivering phones is not a walk in the park.
[/quote]Thanks for the awesome suggestions! :laughing:

Itā€™s not about patience and trust. I am patient and I trust Fairphone.

But itā€™s disappointing when Iā€™ve given them loads of money half a year in advance and we struggle to get basic updates.

We were told assembly would begin on November 23rd. That day we were told it hadnā€™t. And since, nothing. Has it started since then? Is there a timeline for it to start again? Even just a ā€œIā€™ve asked but weā€™ve got no news yetā€ would be welcome.

6 Likes

Because that resolves some of the uncertainty. It takes only a few moments to let us know that thereā€™s no news - but keeping us updated is surely a simple courtesy for those who are keen to know how itā€™s going? Particularly after some pretty big news that there has been a problem on the day assembly was expected to begin.

3 Likes

Iā€™m patiently waiting for my Fairphone 2. :innocent:

But I think that this:

is contradictory.

You have no news about the production or (pre-)assembly of the phone but you can plan the delivery?

1 Like

You donā€™t know what problems they have. ā€œAllegedly there are problems with the PCBsā€ could also mean that the production of these was postponed by a week and therefore shipment is delayed by one week. Nobody knows about the state, so we have to wait until douwe knows and then he might share it with us.
Relax!

1 Like

Furthermore, it is possible that they were using the time efficiently working on other tasks involved in the production, while finding a solution on the PCBs, like assembling everything else for example! :wink:

Iā€™m becoming more and more impatient as well, but thatā€™s just the growing excitement to finally hold my new phone very soon now and I still trust Fairphone doing their best to make it come true as soon as itā€™s possible! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In Germany we call this growing excitement Vorfreunde :smile:

1 Like

I canā€™t vouch for everyone, but Iā€™d wager this is exactly why people ask questions. They want to know.

1 Like

Hi all,

Iā€™m working on a production update to you all - planning a blog for tomorrow, and hopefully later today a short version for the forum.

Iā€™ll update you at the end of day. Thanks for your patience!

Joe

12 Likes

YEAH! THXā€¦hopefully great news :grimacing:

Please continue here: :slight_smile: