Not every USB-C cable will work with FP3

I know there is already this topic, but I wanted to warn new users:

I just got my FP3. Luckily everything works, as far as the SW is concerned (which is already a bummer - you pay 450 euros, you wait a month or so, and you have also to hope that the phone works)

What I cannot get my head around is, why on the earth you don’t write that NOT every cable will work with the phone.

You CANNOT simply write that the phone won’t come with a cable and charger, while not warning that other cables might not work.

I have an additional Huawei Honor 20, which arrived a couple of days before the FP3 (Android dev here), and that cable simply does not work. So I went out to buy one, which worked when the clerk tried it on. Then I arrived home, attached to charge, worked 2 seconds and the LED went dark.

Fortunately the shi*ty charger of the Bluetooth headphones works.

Now if I want a regular cable what should I do, keep buying different ones till any of them works?

You must be out of your mind by selling stuff like that.

1 Like

Creating duplicate topics isn’t doing anyone a favor. It will just mean that people will only find parts of the information gathered on the forum.

2 Likes

Not everyone goes down 50 replies though.

EDIT: and I added new information. They need to specify on the website that when you buy the phone, not every cable will work (as they left intended). You will have to wait to discover it when it arrives.

1 Like

Hi, I bought the first USB-C cable with the FP3, and it worked. However, some cables USB-C I had dis not plug in correctly, and I bought another cable while traveling, which did not work either :frowning: Reason? The insulation of some cables is too thick to fit into the corresponding hole of the shock-protection sleeve of the FP3. So, simple fix: remove the sleeve for charging, or test the cable in the shop. And contrary with micro-USB, with USB-C there should be a distinct “click” when plugging the cable correctly.
All in all, a purely mechanical problem.

It’s not purely mechanical …

I have to say that the charging compatibility with the FP3 is a bit underwhelming.
One example:
USB-C 45w charger + packaged cable: rapid charging
Same cable on a Thinkpad P51/52: slow charging
Same cable & Laptop but Motorola Z4 instead of FP3: rapid charging

Thanks for the link.
I have a USB current/voltage measurement device. I’ll test with various cables/chargers. It will be interesting to see which charges the phone configures to use 9V instead of 5V.

I think the FP idea of “saving ressources” failed with that usb C cable issue.

I am definitely not the only one who

• can’t reuse my old phone’s cable (that worked perfectly with my qc3 charger cable combination.)
  • sent my phone back to repair, because I tested it with three not supported cables. Got it back fully charged. yay.
  • bought new cables (cheap, branded QC3). Still not working. Creating more and more waste of resources.

They better should have sold the phone for 460€ including a cable, saving up all that logistic and support trouble they are experiencing with this cables.

cheers

2 Likes

Too late, I have a FP2 that I’m going to give to my mom and ordered a FP3, now I have it but I didn’t notice that the connector was different, I don’t have any cable USB-C and the one in FP shop is Out of stock! I can’t change my phone…:sob:

Just go to a shop and try out a cable before buying.
I bought a cable through Fairphone and one in a computer shop for charging in my car.
The one from the computer shop doesn’t charge fast, but good enough.

2 Likes

Just buy any USB-C cable which explicitly has “USB-IF certified” in the specs (that’s important).
Or try whether a micro USB → USB-C adapter works with your existing cable(s).

2 Likes

Only when you want to use Quick Charge 3.0 you need a “USB-IF certified” cable.
Yes with Quick Charge 3.0 you can charge quicker, but normal charging is better for the battery.

If you follow my link you can see that I personally had non-USB-IF-certified cables with which charging was almost not possible. Better safe than sorry :wink: .

1 Like

Well I didn’t post a link, but I can charge my phone with a cable from Delock for 10 euro’s without any problem.
So it’s try before you buy, which I did.

Ok, so it’s try before you buy … or if you can’t try because you want to or need to order online, go for USB-IF certified :slight_smile: .

1 Like

My friend got FP3+ and bought Huawei USB to USB C cable. This cable doesn’t work. This is the second time that I saw Huawei cable not working so my advice is to stay away from all Huawei cables. With this cable FP3+ when turned off is constantly going into reboot loop. I didn’t dare to try to plug it in my FP3 when turned off.

FYI, I went to Ikea when I received my Fairphone 3 (I already had a Nintendo Switch charger but it turned out not to be convenient to use it for both devices, plus it’s big and can’t be used as a cable only), and bought their USB-C cable, and it works like a charm. Not really fast charging (it’s not USB-IF), bit for 5€ you get a good quality 1.5m cable.

I’ve got a doubt on two cables that are sold in the shop, can you check this please?

Regards,
Max

While I can’t answer the question about the difference between the cables, you can safely assume a cable sold in the Fairphone shop works with an FP3 or FP3+.

The FP3(+) uses USB 2.0 over a USB-C connector to communicate with a computer in any case, so a ‘USB 2.0’ cable is an oxymoron here. It would be interesting to know though whether any cables would support USB 3.0/3.1 data transfer, but the FP3(+) won’t take advantage of that if available.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.