Noisy coloured pixels on my Fairphone 2

Hi @paulakreuzer I was not able to upload the picture … is there any maximum size of picture for upload ? I just tried again now but no result. The picture is 3Mo

I’ll try to reduce the picture size and post it here later :wink:

Here it is


Thanks for the pic, I moved your posts here.
First try to disassemble the screen and carefully cleaning the connectors. If that doesn’t help than you’ll probably need a replacement. To get a reply from support faster post your request number in the #supportrequest::tag thread.
Don’t worry about the pictures, changing the screen shouldn’t do anything to your data.

Thank you very much @paulakreuzer for your help.

I have read some posts here and I see someone says the support didn’t want to change the phone because the user did take the sreen off himslef. I am not sure I want to take the risk !!

I am going to post my request number in the #supportrequest thread just now. Thank you very much !!!

Support is understaffed and therefore hiring. That must have been a new and not very well trained employee if he didn’t know that the FP2 was designed to open and repaired by the user, which doesn’t void the warranty.

PS: Where did you read that, I can’t find that post.

1 Like

Same problem here. I did open and clean - although I would have liked instructions for it, not sure whether I am doing it right - but nothing changed.
It did come back once for a few seconds, but now I am having that noisy screen again all the time.

@paulakreuzer , the thing about the support refusing to change the phone because it was open comes from a thread about FP1, here: Display problem - whole screen filled with noisy pixels of different colors

Also, I am commenting about my problem here because you said “A lot is a relative term. Compared to the number of FP2s sold very few people have this issue and usually it’s solved by taking off the screen and cleaning the connectors.” I wouldn’t have commented about it otherwise since it does not really advance the discussion (the prompt says: Does your reply improve the conversation in some way?). What I mean is there may well be many more people with this problem than you might be aware off. Also, some of the post here say that cleaning the connectors worked at first but the problem is coming back, some that it didn’t work. I would not conclude that “usually it’s solved by taking off the screen and cleaning the connectors”.

I know support is under a lot of work, but it is equally distressing to find yourself in a circonstance where you main connection with the world is broken. Waiting for a call from the bank or the doctor, not able to answer it. A few weeks of wait are sure to find people switching to cheaper options, which is sadly probably what I am about to do.

I’m asked to be constructive, so here it is: Why not publish a video showing how to remove the screen and clean the connectors ? Maybe have some people from support acting in it, and this way we also get to empathise with their daily load of work.


Maybe this topic helps you:

1 Like

Oh ok, that’s different then. FP2 was designed to be repaired by just anybody. With the FP1 it’s quite easy to actually do something wrong while trying to repair.

You’re right. The “usually” is debatable.

Just to share that I got the same problem and managed to solve it by taking off the screen + wiping connectors.

Middle of June after a rainy, high humidity moonsoon day, the screen started to behave as decribed in this thread. I reboot it several times, this solved the problem for few minutes to few hours, then it came back.

Then I finally decided to open the phone, dismantle the screen and wipe the connectors with a dry cloth - it just solved the issue totally! It has been a month now, and the phone is still working fine!

Hope it can help;
Cheers & good luck!

1 Like

Where’s the help here?? Do any techy staff use this forum? I’m so peed off with my fp2, it’s rubbish!!!

This is a community forum, so don’t expect answers from the Fairphone team. But if you read the posts here you’ll find that the recommended approach is to disassemble the phone and clean the connectors and if that doesn’t change anything contact support to get the screen replaced.

OK thanks, I’ll try that. Took so long to send this reply because of the scrambled and frozen screen. I love the thinking behind this phone, I so want it to be brilliant! Many thanks.

I had the same issue, and @paulakreuzer’s logic made sense to me - if the display works, even briefly, it’s not a faulty part. It’s the signal being sent from the motherboard to the display that is compromised.

I removed the display, wiped the gold contact points with a soft cloth, replaced the screen, and voila! Worked perfectly.

That said, let’s see how long this lasts - my wife is tech illiterate and would throw her hands up in despair if the situation arises again.

Fingers crossed!

Hi there, I have the same problem with my touchscreen since I ordered a new case (blue translucent). Before that I had the black one and no problems.

I’ve just read the comments here. I “solved” the problem for now by removing only the case. With the open phone the problem doesn’t appear.

I’ll try now the cleaning and reconnecting of the plugs, but in my opinion it’s a problem with the cases.

Good luck!

I’m pretty sure that a plastic case that doesn’t touch any electronics can’t be the cause for such an issue. What I can imagine is that - e.g. if the screen is not mounted well - the case can cause pressure on some points - and lack of pressure at others - and therefore mess with the connection.
If cleaning doesn’t work it would be interesting to know if it still works with the old cover - but I doubt it.


yes, to me it seems weird too. I have no good explanation, just describing my experience. Reassembled my FP2 yesterday, hardly used it, but I’ll tell if the problem occurs again. My old case was replaced because it fell apart, can’t try this again.


Hi all, having same issue (noisy pixels/snow/occasionally black/sometimes works for a few minutes/cleaning doesn’t help etc)

What I notice below the 30-pin connector pad though is a grey rectangular box (power connection?) that connects to the phone via a spring-pin. This grey box is fixed in place via 6 tiny clasps (2 each on the north, east and south sides) and does not appear to be that securely fastened.

I wonder - could the looseness of this grey box (or a bent spring-pin) be causing poor connectivity and all the screen issues we’re having?

It looks quite fiddly to adjust…

Any thoughts @paulakreuzer?

The grey box is shielding for some of the components underneath (including, by the looks of it, a connector) - it doesn’t perform a function itself, but I can imagine that if it gets dented/dislodges in an unlucky way it may cause problems. If you’re curious about what’s underneath, see the third picture in step 5 of the iFixit teardown.

1 Like

Hi there,
the problem is persisting.
I tried cleaning, removing and mounting the display again. If I’m in a strong need for a working cell phone I have to -sorry, Paul- remove the plastic case. Strange thing, but it works. Sometimes I only press a little harder on the touchscreen and the normal image comes back for a second or two.
That’s unsatisfying.
Anything new experiences or ideas?


1 Like

I am currently on holiday in Thailand with my FP2. Worked fine in flight mode for internet and camera for 2 weeks but now only displays static snow on the screen. No trauma happened to phone, literally did it overnight and can now only turn it off by taking battery out. Thinking it may be the humid environment as the FP2 backing case isn’t very close fitting. Any ideas how to fix this / what is happening?