New software update Kola Nut 1.8.5 is ready

Hi @daveboschma!
sure, there’s no hurry. if, as you suggest in your other comment with all the clarifications (thanks for that!), there’s a new, forthcoming installer that deals with it, I’ll just wait for that.
Please keep us updated. cheers!

I manually repartitioned storage before. I’m missing the cache file for installing the update also, I understand (from posts by jopi79) that I’ll have to back up my phone and do a manual update.

I find this quite frustrating to be honest, as when I did the repartioning and made a back-up in the way described on the website, I kept all my files but lost all the content of apps - e.g. all my whatsapp conversations were gone and it messed up my Google calendar (which I was surprised about as that’s obviously not only used on my phone - but it was very inconvenient!) Any way to make sure that doesn’t happen this time round?

Actually I wouldn’t do that (if you want to use GAPPS) because people who can’t update with the updater app and update manually are stuck in a googleless loop. (see here)

I have the same problem.

The update went normal, but half of my contacts are gone. Normally I save my contacts on simcard or phone.
The wifi symbol was grey, so I installed a random app from google apps. But the numbers are still missing.
I synchronalised my google account again, and many of the numbers that were not missing are now twice in my contactlist.
How do I get my contacts back?

Are there still contacts missing? If so I’d sign out of google, whipe the contacts data and cache, restart, add google account again, restart, download an app and wait.
If you have all contacts back but some are there twice you can use an app like Contact Merger to get rid of duplicates.

I moved a post to an existing topic: Google Apps can’t be reinstalled

So what should I do in that case?

I’m sure Fairphone is working on a solution. I’d wait for an official solution.

same problem here. cant send text messages anymore since all google apps are out of order. im really looking forward to some kind of help here! :smiley:

Hi Paul, so I haven’t done anything else since you advised against it - however I now found that my Playstore has disappeared and I can’t seem to reinstall Google apps. Other apps do seem to be working but not having the Playstore is inconvenient.

I have tried step 1 of these suggestions https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202177963, not 2 as am reluctant to do lots of inconvenient things now if there may be an easier solution later (hopefully!). The widget is greyed out and does seem to do ‘something’ when I click it, however it hasn’t brought the Playstore back.

Like someone else said, I bought the Fairphone because I wanted a fair product but did not realise I’d have to dive into all this software stuff… Really hope the team come up with a solution where the effort/knowledge required on our part is minimal. Thanks everyone who’s trying to help!

I haven’t done anything else since you advised against it - however I now found that my Playstore has disappeared and I can’t seem to reinstall Google apps.

What have you done so far, from your last post I assumed you haven’t started the update process yet, but if you are missing your GAPPS then you obviously did

Has anyone had further success with this issue?
Via trying to install the update, my google apps were already deleted. But since, for whatever reason, I do not have enough storage space on my FP, I can not continue.
I would rather not install the update manually…

Hey all,

Just a quick update; we are working on a solution for the problems with reinstalling Google Apps and the Storage upgrader in 1.8.5.

As soon as we have an update (which will be later today) we’ll immediately post it here. Thanks for your patience in the meantime…!

6 Likes

My problem is fixed since yesterday night :grinning:, see my post here:

If somebody needs a detailed description how flash the Fairphone with SP Flash tool, write me a private message.
Please note, that all data will be removed with this step, so make sure you have a backup.
If somebody wants to flash the phone, write me a detailed description, which steps you did and whats going wrong.

After the flashing you can install the Google Apps and restore your backups. Then you can use the Fairphone Updater and all should be like the Fairphone Team it planned.

The first step of the update worked, now opening the fairphone updates says that I’m currently on version 1.6 and taht 1.8.5 is available. However after downloadig the update it says “No space available on /cache”, wehn I press RESTART it says “File not found: /cache/fp_update_21.zip”.

I’ve completely emptied /cache, the partition has a size of 123MB. Any idea how to get around this? Or the easiest way to resize partitions?

@reto
Some people have this problem (mostly those without the official storage upgrade).
The Fairphone Team is working on a fix.
There are some workarounds posted here but I’d suggest to wait for the solution because most people who continued updating after this error are now stuck without Google Apps. (unless you don’t need/want them anyway, then you can do a manual update.)

I suggest to wait for the official update, too :wink:

1 Like

Hi Fairphoners,

Our software team is working hard on narrowing down the issue with the Storage Upgrader 1.8.5. We can’t give a clear outlook on a fix yet but I assure you it will be soon. After we got aware of the issue we immediately took the Storage Upgrader offline.

Please note: the “normal” Kola Nut 1.8.5 is working as it should (for both FP1 old storage layout and FP1 with already upgraded partition layout - and FP1U devices), so you can safely update. Only for users who want to unify their storage with a Storage Upgrader need to wait a bit longer.

For users who already performed the Storage Upgrade and are now stuck with Google Apps that won’t install; we will offer a solution for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

4 Likes

Hi Rick,

@paulakreuzer recommended to wait as I might be stuck without google apps. But actually at the current stage I am without play store and without gmail.

What I did:

1. more than 1 year ago: followed some post toincrease the phone storage, this was before fairphone realized that 1GB is not plenty of space for all users
  2. yesterday: happily clicked on install update, it told me that it needs to restart and that I should start the updater again after the reboot
  3. today: noticed that the second update fails because of lac of space in /cache
  4. noticed that the play store and gmail aren’t there anymore (google maps still works)
  5. added the google apps install-widget, clicking on it to reinstall, this opens the fairphone updater, which brings me back to step 3.

As I did not use the Storage Upgrader (but something else, following a description in the old forum) I hope the update will fix this situation too.

Cheers!

Hi,

If you unofficially repartitioned your first edition FP1 yourself in the past, I’m afraid you will keep on having issues. Read more here how to solve this: New software update Kola Nut 1.8.5 is ready

Cheers