New software update Kola Nut 1.8.5 is ready

yes, i made backups.

restarting the phone brought back the ringtones - but now the wifi symbol stays grey - even though i seem to be logged in (according to Google Play).

Same problem here. I wonder if this actually is a problem with not enough space being present. I have about 1,55 GB free on the internal storage partition. How much space is required?

on the main screen it shows “Download complete”, but for a few seconds it shows this message about “no space available on /cache”. See screenshot:

If I click restart, I get the message “File not found: /cache/fp_update_21.zip”

I may point out that dealt with the FP storage problem with one of the early fixes, and now I have 4GB internal partition, and larger “phone” partition for all the rest.

I kept the screen active through the whole procedure.

1 Like

I confirm. Keeping the screen active (by increasing the delay before extinction) does the trick!

2 Likes

Did you try the trick with clearing Media Storage Data yet?

Yes, I tried. Restarted the phone, cleared Media Storage Data again, and still the same problem. I wonder if this is really a matter of space. How much space is needed?

You performed the Storage Upgrade yet? If so, try keeping the screen active while downloading.

Good to hear it works!

I don’t know exactly how much the Updater App needs but the .zip file for the manual update is 201 MB.

Hi,

just wanted to say also positively: Just updated from 1.6 to 1.8.5 (on my FP1 with already unified storage) and everything worked out well and smooth. I am very happy and the phone is running expectedly. Good Job !!

The Phone booted 3x in total: I guess first time for the pre-Up from 1.6 to 1.8.x, than for updating to 1.8.5 and lately for re-installing the Google Apps - straight and no problems, no losses, no weired surprises.

Happy to have waited long enough for this update. And happy to have a very usable, nice and steady phone all the time with me.

Go on, Thanks and kind regards !
Timm

9 Likes

Ok. I deleted some apps, and have 2.2 GB free at this point, and I have still the same issue. Obviously, it’s not a matter of space.
Then I’d assume it’s a matter of partitions. The whole process looks much more painful…

The Update from 1.8 to 1.8.5 works very smooth.
Everything is fine (except the new screen layout, and the new arrangement ot the icons (very small indeed)).

3 Likes

Well do you have a unified partition or the original FP1 “internal storage” and “phone storage”. Or even a custom setup like @daveboschma ?
Obviously the partition that the update uses has to have enough space, deleting apps on another one won’t help.

Did you in the past repartitioned the storage layout manually?

yes, as mentioned in a post above, I used one of the early solutions. I have a 4GB partition, and another one with all the rest.
I’m starting to fear that the way forward is full backup -> reset to factory settings -> start from there
other options?

1 Like

A full backup (like with Titanium Backup) is definitly a good idea.

If it was a matter of space, deleting apps would help. But evidently, it’s not. As mentioned in my first post, I have “internal storage” (4GB) and “phone storage” the rest, re-partitioned with one of the early fixes. That is probably the problem.

The widget can indeed stay grey sometimes although you are connected to Wi-Fi as always (right?). This bug can be solved by updating an (any) app in the Google App store.

I installed the update, and I guess it worked out okay. But all my contacts dissapeared. Why?

If they are stored in the cloud wait a while for Google to synch them.

though a little worried about the consequences (the update to 1.6 cost me a lot of time and trouble) many of your experiences till now encouraged me to update to 1.8.5 too. I followed the digital manual Fairphone provided. Most steps were correct, sometimes something else showed up, but nothing I couldn’t handle.
One thing worried me. I clicked the widget to install GPlaystore, but at the same time the top of my screen said it was already downloading automatically. So I opened the message screen and waited till it was ready. After finishing downloading nothing happened. So I went back to the FpUpdater, to Install from here. After this download a message showed it could not find the .zip-file (file name had “-0” behind it, so second download probably renamed the file). I tried again. And again. About the third time GPlay installed itself.
So may be helpful for future downloaders of GPlay: let FpUpdater do the job, don’t follow the automatic download. Don’t know why. Good luck.

1 Like