New slim back cover

Thanks for the pics of comparison.
Can anybody provide some images of comparison for the coral color?
I fear to get something too pink stuff with this, but I am not sure about this…

I cannot provide any photos of my own and haven’t seen the coral red cover with my own eyes yet, but this article (that was included in a Fairphone newsletter as well) includes some very high resolution pictures.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedbacks so far!
I have one more small question: I use a glass screen protector, any issue with the slim case and a glass screen protector?
I think it is unlikely (the screen protector is really thin so it should not affect the case), but I would be curious to hear your experiences.

Metal back covers are possible on a phone, but it must be designed from the beginning, so not for FP2. the antennas for the cellular, wifi and gps wouldn’t allow it.

The FP1 was a 3g phone, so a lot easier to implement the antennas with a metal battery door.

11 Likes

Like so many before, I would also like to express my disappointment about the absence of “transparent” as a choice for the slim cases. This is especially grave since Fairphone relies on every owner being an ambassador for the “movement”.

When I put my transparent FP2 on the table, I always turn it upside down (also because the rubber then makes the vibration quieter), which more than a few times made people remark on the phone so that we got into a conversation about it, fair electronics and fair trade in general. Some even think this is some DIY device. ^^

Do you think a non-transparent cover will have the same effect? I don’t think so. The label does not stand out enough on its own, what with all the “alternative” smartphone brands out there today.

So in short: If you want the movement to grow faster, offer a transparent case!

24 Likes

Yes, transparent slim covers would be just great. In a number of different colours, blue, dark grey, some nice shade of green, orange, maybe, that would be fantastic. Could really help to make the Fairphone an eye-catcher and a good piece of conversation to propagate the ideas behind.
Ah, a man can dream…

12 Likes

I agree, had regretted not buying a transparent cover at the start, just tried to buy one as an accessory to find they don’t seem to exist. I think the ‘talking point’ is really important to marketing the Fairphone and talking about the circular economy. Fairphone: Please poll users to see if others agree!

4 Likes

Not meaning to discourage the Bring back our transparent cover campaign, just a reminder that those who really still want one right now can buy it from Vireo. If you have trouble making sense of the German, e-mail them in English at kundenservice@vireo.de.

3 Likes

Although then again, the openability of the slim cases is a good match for the transparency of the older cases - you can just peel off the cover like Yul Brynner’s face in “Westworld” and expose its guts, then replace it again.

My original transparent case also cracked. Support offered me the option a slim case, and the details in this thread convinced me that it’s mechanical construction was much better (less stress when opening, separate buttons). I ordered the white one (eeny, meeny, miny, moe), but I’m hoping for a transparent version to come along. :innocent: Every week I get a Fairphone conversation started because of the transparent cover. Most end up with me disassembling the phone in front of their eyes. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I just wrote to support in order to replace my original FP2 case (the volume button rubber is deformed). I started thinking about which slim case I would prefer (in case they accept to change my cover and offer me a slim one), but I cannot decide which color I prefer.

I do not like the red one.
The white one is ok but kind of “I want an Apple thing”.
The turquoise is nice but from the pictures it seems like the buttons are not in the same turquoise but in the same shape of blue as the buttons of the red one. I’m not sure I like the two shapes of turquoise and blue together.
I could like the indigo one but from the pictures I do not understand the exact shape of indigo. How much blue? How much violet? The buttons are black, right?

Did anyone get the turquoise or the indigo? Could you post some pictures? How do you like them?

I would love to be able to mix button and cover colors (Turquoise cover and black buttons? Indigo cover with white buttons?).

1 Like

For some pictures just scroll up in this thread… :grinning:

2 Likes

Now I have also replaced my cracked regular cover by a white slim cover - and I do like it until now.
Only the power button is moving much easier - which could be a problem in pockets while hitting it accidently more easy than with the regular case.

Does anybody know, if the SLIM COVER is designed as robust as the regular cover was?
I remember some videos by FP, in which they are doing some FP2 drop tests of 1,80m height frequently.
Is the SLIM CASE also designed for that welcome robustness?

3 Likes

Thx, but I still cannot tell if the turquoise cover has the buttons of a different shape or if it is the same.

(Slim) Covers, rims and Buttons are interchangeable. It’s called #rimswapping and it’s the hottest trend among the kids these days. :smiley:

10 Likes

I know! I hope I’ll find someone to swap my rim with in Italy (Rome or Genova). Maybe we should create a topic for this purpose (like the second hand unofficial shops but only to swap with locals).

1 Like

Sorry, seems that I just read half of your questions - I guess it was just too early in the morning… I am going to upload some pics of the indigo case in comparison to some other blue things in my flat, I guess than you will get a better idea of the shape.

As promised:

Sorry for the bad lightning…

6 Likes

There already are local Italian communities:

You could even start your own in Genova! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much! It seems to be kind of blue!
I like it but I am not fully convinced of the black ribbon.
I think I would go for the turquoise! I would…
If just the slim covers were available.

In facts, the good part of the story is that the answer to my support request was super-fast (I wrote them last sunday and received an answer monday morning).

The less nice part is they told me currently they only have the blue matte cover available for replacement.
Black cover is nice (it is the one I already have), but I’m afraid it will have the same issue as the one I’m asking to replace…

I asked them how long I should wait for getting a slim one; currently waiting for another (hopefully just as fast) answer.

1 Like