New slim back cover

Hello everyone,
maybe I am repeating the question but I could not find a clear answer to this following the discussion. Will it be possible to put the new slim cover on an “old” Fairphone 2 with the “fat” cover? And will the new covers be sold as well by Fairphone?

Hi!
Of course! They are made for the FP2 (the phone it self stays the same). You can chose which one you put on.
They will be available soon …

4 Likes

My opinion: Creating sales in case of a warranty claim, very, very much consumer unfriendly without legal basis!
When my translucent blue cover is falling apart - I am seeing it coming - I can’t get a new one of the same kind.
So I have to choose the next-best choice. In my case - it would be the slim one - I won’t get it on warranty, even not with additional payment.
On warranty I would get a not wanted one and would have to pay full price for the one I want.
Can anybody call this warranty still? I really can’t follow such a regularization!

Would it be fair if your FP1 had been broken during the warranty period and you wanted them to send you a FP2 as a replacement? It’s a different product after all (e.g. not equivalent).

3 Likes

Did they write that down somewhere? Because as far as I understood the “fixing system” of the new slim covers is different to the “old” covers (consisting out of two parts, not 1, like the old ones).

Yes, the cover fixing system is different. But the phone is the same.
So you can put an old case (in one part) on your FP2, take it off and put a new cover (in two pieces) on.

3 Likes

(bold by me)

Source: Fairphone 2 gets a new case design in four colors - Fairphone

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @danielsjohan and @Stefan. I think you just gained a new fairphone 2 owner :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There is a new test of the FP2 online, where they show pictures of the new cover: Link to notebookcheck.com
It’s been written in German, but I guess that’s irrelevant for the pictures… :grin:

9 Likes

Thanks for the link.
Though, the gap between the two parts in one picture does not look very promising. Hope this was just not properly attached :slight_smile:

What’s your concern there? An influx of dust?

I spotted somewhere that with the new slim cover, the phone will be 11 mm thick. Isn’t at the moment also 11 mm?

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, at its thickest point, the new slim cases are roughly as thick as the old ones. However, the new shape gives a slimmer feel all around. See a similar question and the following replies, especially jftr’s, in another thread for more words on this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a nice (German) article here with some very detailed pictures of the new cases:

The thickest point is probably either at the speaker or at the camera, means just a small part of the phone is actually that thick.

Indeed I would be afraid that moisture/water and dust could more easily penetrate the device. But also, at least in my opinion, the case does look cheap and unappealing in these pictures.

The new FP2 slim cases and prices are now shown in the Fairphone shop (no ordering yet).

Price difference between Slim and Regular is currently around 3 Euros.

6 Likes

The dark blue (indigo) is missing. Oh gosh, I really hope they will expand their colour range - I am not a big fan of current colours…

1 Like

We also made little videos to show people how they can handle the new case. Check them out here and let us know what you think!

On stage is @Bernadette_Philipp!

7 Likes

Nice Fairphone you have there. :smirk: “The fastest smartphone on Earth!” :earth_africa:

3 Likes