New launcher is... optimizable (Feedback)

I think I sort of fixed it, by fiddling around in app settings. But it means I have to redesign - again - my home screens and apps which is the second time this week.

I realised I could just get a completely different launcher, but I like the FP one :smile:

Thanks! :slight_smile: …

Very probably you cleared defaults on the new launcher. This is the procedure to have Android ask for another default launcher.

Hi! Thnx for the update. I’ve got a problem though - when I’m trying to nail a contact on the home screen it says that it is nailed, but I can’t find it, what to do?

David

At the moment this does not work out of the Contacts app.

1. When on the home screen, press the settings button (the left one).
  • A new screen will appear, there you select Widgets.
  • Then search for “Contact” and put this widget to the place, where you want it.
  • It will prompt you to select a contact to link to.

Thnx!

Stefan Brand no-reply@fairphone.com skrev:

At the moment this does not work out of the Contacts app.

1. When on the home screen, press the settings button (the left one).
  • A new screen will appear, there you select Widgets.
  • Then search for “Contact” and put this widget to the place, where you want it.
  • It will prompt you to select a contact to link to.

Posted by Stefan on 12/15/2014

1 Like

Some feedback on the Peace of Mind app:
I like it a lot (great idea) but it would be awesome to also have a smaller widget available.
Taking up a 4x3 space on a home screen is a bit too much for something that could essentially fit in a 1x1 square (maybe switching the display of the remaining time to a pie-type indicator).

1 Like

@jpjacobs Under Apps (not Widgets) you have the icon “Peace of Mind” as well - did you try this?

2 Likes

That’s a fair point. The downside is it does not show the total / remaining time, but does solve the bulkiness problem.

1 Like

Me too, I have the same problem, 3 tries out of 4 I end by dragging the widgets instead of being able to open the swipe launcher, very frustrating… :frowning:

1 Like

I installed PeaceOfMind+, a fork of the original application which comes also with a DashClock extension, and with a configurable timeout extended to 12 hours, it is very useful and I hope these modifications will be merged to the official app.
Bye!

3 Likes

Just to let you (the people at fairphone) know:

Installed the update - OK, had to do this trice before it all worked - and thought: Oh, that’s different.

But: Every question I had (e.g. how to get more panels on the launcher) was already answered here at the forum.

Yes, it is different.
Different is not bad.
And “thumbs up” for the forum staff!

Thank you,
I like it.

PS: Maybe it would be nice to get the installation a bit easier, for the technically challenged.

2 Likes

Here is my Feedback:

Cons

• I cannot add Bookmarks to the home screen from Firefox
  • All preferences in the launcher are lost

Pros

• I really like the reworked updater! Looks a lot easier to use now :smile:
  • I also like the new icon size! Most icons look better and all in all it is more colorful! :thumbsup:
  • I like the new way of adding widgets. I never liked Widgets and Apps in one launcher, the new way is a lot easier to understand.

Thanks for taking the feedback so serious. For me the upgrade went flawless!

2 Likes

recommend using the Apex Launcher if you’d like ultra-customisability!

It seems that this most times happens right after exiting an app through the home button. Also, although I end up moving a widget, I can feel the vibration of Edge Swipe, although I cannot see the quick access icons. Can you reproduce this?

@keesj It would be great to have a revised version of the FP launcher uploaded as soon as possible (before the beta test of the revised 1.8 update).

Why is @howard_at_the_office’s post flagged and hidden?

I’ve unhidden the post

@tin - yes, I agree

I marked the post as “off-topic” because I think it is the following : [quote]This post is not relevant to the current discussion as defined by the title and first post, and should probably be moved elsewhere.[/quote] (description of “flag as off-topic”).

I think @howard_at_the_office’s post is not only off-topic because it is not relevant (as in “Hey there is a problem with the current launcher, just move to another one”), but it (IMO) is not helpful at all. Why is the Apex Launcher better? What can you do with it? I do not get much information from this post.

i don’t agree. It is helpful in this manner that I know that there is this launcher which is working perfectly on FP and is then a good workaround until the launcher of FP is fixed. There are others - but this user tells me that this one works.

Wouldn’t any launcher be a workaround?

This very discussion is going off-topic and I would like to leave it as it is now and not argue anymore. I understand that you, @tin, and others do not agree on my point of view and so it is good that the controversial post is visible again!

Note to myself: Write a small edit note, when marking a post as off-topic.

2 Likes