New FP2 Motherboard

Yes, agreed. But maybe not the usual full 2 years of warranty, as the (German) law demands, are given. It may be reduced to only one year (not speaking of e.g. batteries) as many product just reach the state of mass production or a very early state still within the advancement process.

But that would then be a “Leophone” and not a “Fairphone”, as Fairphone already responded to @Leo_TheCrafter earlier.

It’s not a bad thing though: an open-hardware phone can still be, in my opinion, better than a Fairphone, as you have complete control on the hardware, on top of being able to fair-produce the components the way Fairphone did. But that part is where he was asking help from Fairphone (because it’s obviously a huge work), and didn’t get it (or instead, received a “no” answer).

1 Like

I actually have a “colleague” who developped a brand new ass-kicking OS based on an AMD SoC, and we designed the motherboard.
I’ll ask him if he has the datasheet, but I think there are some (many) NDAs to sign with AMD to get them.

6 Likes

That’s a very interesting detail. You designed it ? (together with him)
Maybe you could help me with my design, it’s my first motherboard and I could need some help, especially with the RAM.

5 Likes

No I’m just a software guy (embedded, with an electronics background though, but limited). I will ask my colleague who designed the board if he has experience in HDI.

5 Likes

German law has a distinction between “Garantie” (~warrenty) and “Gewährleistung”. The latter has to be 2 years and there is no way around it. Warrenty is completly optional!
“Gewährleistung” means: At the moment of purchase the item was without (technical) defects. For the first 6 months the manufacturer has to prove that there were none, after that (for the remaining 18 months) the consumer has to prove that AT THE MOMENT OF PURCHASE there were (non-obvious) defects.
Usually this is only for used construction-defects (i.e. bad parts, heat-problems, weak materials, …).

If you use this, then first the manufacturer gets 2 attempts to fix the problem (i.e. changing parts etc.) - after that you can get a full refund.

So it is actually pretty complicated to go through with that if the manufacturer has not screwed up… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes I agree, thank you for specifically pointing out this difference here not to get others confused.

But generally spoken platforms as Kickstarter/Indiegogo are operating somewhere abroad and are not directly confronted with the German law. The terms of use when backing a project contain statements like the possibility of loss of your entire investment without refund or a limited warranty as the items are in a very early development state when being shipped.
So there is not much use of local trading laws if the company operates from abroad (Those running campaigns could operate anywhere in the world) not even keeping an office here. It would mean struggles in any warranty case.

That’s what Amazon actually is facing day by day. Many (Chinese) companies only keep a local storage here shipping their often non-licensed goods. So customers first get back to Amazon which again pass their matters on to the original dealer just using their platform. It’s time consuming and at the end there is a 50/50 chance depending on value and more factors if the customer receive compensation. Many customers do believe being fully covered by our local/EU trading laws.
And consider the company being out of business again as it was a start-up not able to stay in business.

1 Like

how do you get along?

But remember, the first Fairphone wasn’t fair - it was only after entering the industry that they could begin to make changes

1 Like

Depends on how you define “fair”.
In the whole, they are still far away from fair.
But they get better with every step i.e. new phone.
And even the FP1 had it’s fair aspects / parts.
Take a look at this old blogpost:

Especially the paragraph headed:
Oh, what a year!
There they have some links to sourcing tin and tantalum from conflict-free mines, workers welfare fund etc.

So they entered the industry already proving that changes are possible. :wink:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.