English

New FP2 Motherboard

design
cpu-processor
motherboard
hardwareupgrade
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f57d45057c0> #<Tag:0x00007f57d4505680> #<Tag:0x00007f57d45054c8> #<Tag:0x00007f57d4505388>

From my side of view the cooperation from the company with the community needs more roots.
What @Leo_TheCrafter (and some other very motivated poeple here) did so far is an enormous effort and deserves all honour.
But there is no communication between the company and the community an I think this is huge gab, as the efforts just remain as a drawing or a prototype an finally end up in the trash can.
Together we all could achieve so much more if both partys just talk together.
Don´t get me worng, I do not complain, I just like to have more efficiency.
My idea:
The community proved they have some very nice skills. Let´s do something the company needs. Thy could come up with a project board, where they offer some projects to keep their workforce clean for other, more important projects.
Of course that can´t be made in a public, but the skilled community members could register themselves as a creator, programmer, designer, solderer, whatever. So they can apply for a project an get involved, also maybe as a team of several.
With this organization a new bottom module (or maybe even a new core module) should be able to create in just some weeks, even the prototyping should not be a problem. And finally the company could let it be manufactured at the fair certified companies they uses for the other parts.

As an owner of both, the FP2 and a GPD Pocket1 I really love the idea of combining those two devices. Especially the x86 CPU would make a lot of things easier - like being able to use mainline kernels and a desktop OS. I generally perceive the android-SW environment as kind of toxic.

Eventhough I wasn’t reading the whole thread I still would like to share some of my thoughts:
) the CPU seems a bit overpowered for purely passive operation; wouldn’t a slower CPU be a better choice so it doesn’t throttle after a few seconds? As there’s not enough space for a passive cooling concept this must be quite critical IMO.
) I remember the Pocket 1 to have had some serious issues with some sleep modes in Windows and Linux; I think it was s3 or hibernate. There were rumors it’s due to a limitation of the cherry trail architecture. Are those issues fixed already? I guess these must be pretty important on a mobile (I don’t use them on my laptop so I can’t really say if it works already).
) 8GB of RAM is really nice; as I’m doing a lot of CAD/modelling/slicing on my Pocket I’m very glad of it. I wonder what applications on a phone would require that amount of RAM. Ok - I could use it in convergence mode but then the purely passive CPU will soon throttle to uselessness. But maybe some kind of fan-driven docking station could help here.

However - if you really manage to produce some of these PCBs I’d be glad to buy one for approx. up to 500€

The CPUs are availeble in different clock speeds, and the RAM is too. Even for the eMMC there are one’s availeble for 32GB, but do you really want that, if you have to spend a few hundred € for a new motherboard. But the lower spec CPU is a good option.

For phones you don’t want S3, you need a state in which wireless connections are maintained, and apps are able to wake up the CPU at scheduled times to check if there are any notifications.

S3 is too deep for this, in S3 the CPU only turns on when the user sends a wake up event that is recognised by the BIOS (for instance, power button).