New Fairphone 2 camera

Just before I start with replacing the modules
As I’m on Lineage now - will I have to flash Fairphone OS first to calibrate the sensor again and then flash back to Lineage?
Thanks

The sensor can create “raw” files, is it possible to rewrite the driver so that the camera can support the raw format?

I am only a humble user, I don’t know. But @Douwe may give us a reliable answer what we can hope for?.

There is no capacity in the SOC to process RAW images. So even if the camera could create such files, the SOC wouldn’t be able to deal with them.

4 Likes

That is a little disappointing…

For the future I’d suggest to consider designing a phone with a SOC which can be equipped with different kinds of cameras.

E.g. here is an add-on for the iPhone for doctors:

https://www.doccheckshop.de/Praxis/Diagnostikinstrumente/Dermatoskope/Heine-iC1-Dermatoskop/

And here is a phone with build-in thermal imager:

I know there are some add-ons for sale with thermal imagers (plugged to the usb port), but the quality is not that good (to say the least)…

It might be interesting for some companies if they can create add-ons for the Fairphone and don’t have to design a whole phone? So designing a phone with well-documented ports might be something to consider…?

While I think it would be impossible to make sure the phone could be equipped with just any camera, you can always add it to the list: ✏ FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist

2 Likes

Thanks! I had not realized that there is a wish-list!

This sounds a bit over-simplified - either that, or I’m missing a point:

I’ve been editing and converting RAWs from a 16MP DSLR on an old Tablet (don’t know the SOC anymore but it was an ARM with 2x1GHz and 1GB RAM) successfully. Yes: It’s rather slow and cumbersome compared to a proper PC, but it works quite well.

Just shooting in RAW and converting/editing it afterwards on a PC would be great. The RAW-preview pic should be enough to preview it on the mobile.

2 Likes

I just received my new camera module, woohoo! :slight_smile: apart from some possible slight noise on the back camera I am happy with it. This is going to add to the longevity of my almost 2 year old smartphone.

On the back camera, I cannot remove one of the three screws. It seems to be in a loop (I don’t know the English term for it), even though I never touched it before. So I am now only using 2 screws. I live near Amsterdam so I was wondering if I could come pick up one new screw and recycle my 2 old camera modules? Or is it possible to buy the very same screw at say Karwei or something?

1 Like

How come the old and new modules have the same product name? How can you tell them apart?

1 Like

The flash looks differently, the old one clearly has only a single LED.

2 Likes

@Fuchur777 has some photos here.

I have just seen an FP2 with a new camera and the new camera has a white plastic piece between the lens and the flash, which the old camera lacks. I think that is the most obvious difference; at least it was when comparing two phones with a black back cover.

Using FP OS 17.10.1 (Android 6.0.1) Open Camera 1.4 needs one second for opening. But taking a picture is as fast as the Android camera app = no delay.

But the start time is annoying…

… most forum & social web systems resize and compress uploaded photos (or convert PNGs to JPGs)! So almost the best is to provide sample pictures via Dropbox or similar.

Hey guys! I just got the new camera bundle and replaced the old hardware. There is an issue though and as I suspect its just me being stupid I don’t want to open a new topic right away.
Main camera works like a charm but the front camera makes ridiculously dark pictures. Anyone else having the same problem?
(I’ve done proximity sensor calibration and removed and placed the module back in just to make sure. No change).
Main camera picture

Here is a picture from the front camera, same object same light

EDIT: It works with a third party camera app

That’s a relief then.
For reference: What OS and OS version are you using? What exactly does it say in Settings - About phone - Build number?

I am using the latest OS OS. Full build number says: FP2-userdebug 6.0.1 FP2 fp2-sibon-17.11.2 release-keys . I am a bit confused about the ‘userdebug’ in there, as I have not consciously debugged or altered anything.

That’s ok, it is just named that way.

So it is Fairphone Open OS. There were problems with the flashlight of the main camera and the stock camera App of Fairphone Open OS before, can’t remember whether anybody had dark pictures with the selfie camera though.

But the solution was the same and you found it yourself :+1: .

Have you deleted / purged the camera apps data and cache via settings - apps - storage? Perhaps this initializes the cameras.