Name contest for the new OS is over

Yeah! Like OS X.
But i would Start with FairOS (0.0.1 Amsterdam)

1 Like

I was also thinking about “Open Amsterdam” or “Open Suzhou”.

But I also quite like @Hecki’s idea of “FairOS Amsterdam” and “FairOS Suzhou” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess Fair OS is the best one. It sounds also reliable. I would also start with 0.0.1 (suzhou) so it shows it’s on growing. Suzhou would be good to show respect to the chinese workers.

1 Like

Hello,

The things that come to my mind when I think of Fairphone are sustainable electronics, water, smiling people, sun, and Amsterdam.

I had the chance to come to Amsterdam, and people were always smiling, even when these were total strangers.

Another thing that defines the identity of Fairphone is that it’s a small company that wouldn’t betray its ideals, its customers or its partners, and that is very close of its customers.

Frogs are related to France, and this name should reflect the transparency of Fairphone (the aim of this is to provide an open-source OS without the closed-source apps of Google).

All of this makes me thing of the Rijks museum, so I’d suggest you this name : it gravitates around a huge, transparent hall with a lot of space and were people rest after having been in the museum all the day.

Will there be copyrights problem ?

Sustainable, huge, dynamic, resting, and transparent : this is what Fairphone makes me think of. Rijks OS, with a wallpapers set that shows this hall ?

I would not use Rijks as a name for the OS.
But why not as a version of Fair OS?
Fair OS 0.0.1-0.9.9 Suzhou
Fair OS 0.1.x Amsterdam
Fair OS 0.2.x Rijks
etc

Yeah, that would be great !

I would just highlight that there are to occurrences for Amsterdam.

Why not the Fairphone Open Source Project, as a take on the Android Open Source Project ?

+1 for FairOS :slight_smile:

Hey all!

After a long discussion in which all the ideas here on the forum were discussed we decided to go with

Fairphone Open OS

and we hope you like it!

We’d like to thank everyone for contributing their ideas in the forum and elsewhere. Finally we decided that Fairphone Open OS would be the best name for several reasons:

• It is simple and elegant.
  • It aspires not more then it is
  • We didn’t want to use a name that mainly focus on what it is not (all names referring to Google)
  • FairOS and Fairdroid are great, but it makes other OS’s seem unfair.

As for the extra of using ‘Amsterdam’ or ‘Rijks’ as release names; we currently will use [year.month] as a release scheme.

An extra name could be confusing, and as the Fairphone Open OS is in the end based on Android, we are tempted to stick with Lollipop/5 or Marshmallow/6 to indicate which version of Fairphone Open someone is using.

Once again thanks to all who contributed to this discussion that has helped us sharpen our ideas and guide or thoughts.

Best,
Douwe

14 Likes

Fairphone open OS is far to long. :blush:
Why not Fair OS could be usw for both.
So the open OS could be named fair OOS :wink: :blush:

What do you think about to start with Suzhou.
I think it’s a kind if respect, to the workers in China.
They worked hard to realize the Fairphone 2. :relieved:

Fair OS 0.0.1-0.9.9 Suzhou
Fair OS 0.1.x Amsterdam
Fair OS 0.2.x Rijks
etc

Fairphone Open Operating System, aka “FOOS”. For an average non-native speaker the “F” and “V” are hard to distinguish. To prevent confusion with the dutch word “voos” (rotten) I propose a minor modification to the name: “FOOS-with-an-F”

3 Likes

The decision in indeed final, but we can leave the topic open to discuss it further and if people have questions about the decision.

5 Likes

To make sure that no confusion with German FOS (“Fachoberschule”) can occur this could be enhanced to “FOOS-with-an-F-and-double-O”.
:wink:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fairphone Open Source roadmap discussion

Agree, we (they) should have checked that. At Nokia we once had a unit called “NN” (Nokia Networks) Generally beter know as “nomen nescio”, “I don’t know the name”. Another disastrous name was “SD” (System Development"). Also known as “social disease” Say no more. You have to check those things. In that respect the name “Frog” is a lot better. Same with “Nomad”, suggests freedom, everyone knows what it is, etc.

I like it! :smiley: It makes sense… and seems classy.

1 Like

In line with the previous abbreviations FPOS and FPOSOS you could also use FPoOS or FPopenOS / FP open OS. :wink:

1 Like

I quite don’t get it… FairPhone team opened a thread because FPOS could mean both:

• FairPhone Operating System
  • FairPhone Open Source

So users went for FPOSOS to explicitly speak about FairPhone Open Source Operating System.

After weeks of thinking about it, FairPhone team decided that ambiguity is better ?

I consider safer to stick with FPOSOS not to confuse anyone.

Why not?
I mean, that is the point that really distinguishes FPOSOS from FPOS, isn’t it? (there may be others, but minor ones.

Also, not-so-well-informed users will quickly find out from simply the name that there may be no PlayStore on their phone after installing FPOSOS. FOOS won’t make that clear.

Final, but not dispensable point, FROGS sounds a lot more fun than FOOS.

(and btw. have you checked the meaning of the english word “foo”? foo - Wiktionary, the free dictionary )

How do you figure Fairphone Open OS is ambiguous? You can’t abbreviate Fairphone Open OS as FP OS, but rather as FPOOS, FPOO or FOO, but I actually think FP Open OS is short enough and doesn’t need an abbreviation.

2 Likes