My FP2: 7 years and counting

I might have given you this advice in the past already (and not just to you … :wink: ), but for performance, it can never hurt to check Settings > Storage. I’d keep 20% of storage free to give apps and system some air to breathe, some wiggle room.

2 Likes

I got my FP2 7-and-a-half years ago now. My first and only smartphone, and still happy with it; in so far as there are issues, I got used to them.
I’m still on the stock FP OS, and I’m aware it doesn’t get security updates anymore. Depending on the phone for authentication on a regular basis and lacking any experience in installing a custom ROM, I didn’t embark on that so far (thanks for your offer to assist, @OldRoutard, but I’m an Apple user [since before it got mainstream …]) – and by now there’s not much point anymore, at least not for a daily driver.

So, time for an FP5. I’ll miss the notification LED, and it’ll be bigger; the translucent case seems nice though.
Haven’t figured out yet whether I’ll be going for an FP5 with stock OS, and experiment with a custom ROM on the FP2 (and check the authentication), or for an FP5 with e/OS, and if so, from Murena, or installing it myself. This forum provides useful info and pointers of course! I just need to read up on it and make up my mind.

Fingers crossed that my good old FP2 keeps serving me well in the meantime.

9 Likes

My FP2 was 7 years old when I replaced it in September this year for FP4. It was my only phone and it was still working.

7 Likes

Then you should be posting here !

1 Like

Well, with the FP5 you’ll have the option to turn on “Always show time and info” on the Lock screen, thanks to OLED display, though there’s some debate as to how much battery this uses up. Some, certainly.

If you want to run /e/ on your FP5 then best is probably to buy it from Murena.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: My FP2: 6 years and counting

My FP2 turned 7 early this month, but since I’ve switched to the FP5 with its release, my son has grabbed it and is doing his first mobile phone steps with it now. I’ve installed e/OS on it and he uses it for playing music and audio books. With Conversations he can use a messenger without SIM card and keep his grandparents up to date on his latest Lego constructions. And he could even call them, my wife or me via this messenger as long as he has WiFi (it doesn’t make sense to take it to school anyway).
I’ve noticed that the phone has become more picky in terms of μUSB plugs in the meantime, but it’s still on its first bottom module, so I won’t complain but train my son for a careful usage…

8 Likes

Which reminds me * …

* not really, I found it again accidentally while searching the forum for a magnetic adapter reference :innocent:

(Still on my first bottom module for more than 6.5 years, charging daily.)

5 Likes

Make that 7 years :partying_face: .

Although it can’t get Android 12 for technical reasons (I momentarily don’t find the source of), and thus security update support should run out soon-ish :frowning_face: .

5 Likes

Nothing much to report, except that my January 2017 FP2 just keeps on trucking. Yawn.
It’s running OpenOS, has had no repairs beyond plastic back cases and a second battery for spare and charge swaps. Yawn.
If it wasn’t somewhat remarkable nowadays that a phone should last 7 years, I would barely bother to write.

7 Likes

Since this is not supported anymore, it is lacking security updates, but you know this, I assume.
(Not that it will be any different with Fairphone 2s running still supported Android OSes before long, as security update support will run out for those, too.)