My FP1: Six years and counting! | Who is still using their FP1?

As a browser for the FP1 I would recommend Firefox, which is available for Android 4.4.4. I don’t know if it’s also available for lower versions, but it does a good job here.

Great, thank you! I will try

Still in use, working mostly fine except for some new apps, but one of my Sim providers is stopping support end of 2020. Beginning to convert to the FP3.

2 Likes

Have you tried Fennec? Basically just a Firefox browser with a different name. Only requires Android 4.1.

1 Like

Happy Birthday, my FP1U! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

6 years for my FP1 too
Light user too But Now the battery is nearly dead :pensive:

5 Likes

If you want to continue to use your Fairphone 1, have a look at the post replacement battery Fairphone 1.

1 Like

“Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.”

Try 🇬🇧 🇩🇪 Generic battery to replace FP1 battery (⚠️see first post for warning)

1 Like

The link targets were garbled. Fixed.

1 Like

Where’s my/our 6 years of FP1 usage badge??? :wink:

You just have asked for it.

3 Likes

I know, sorry! Please disregard my bad sense of humour by asking like this and thanks for the badge :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So, after 6 years and 10 months of daily usage my FP1 is finally showing issues with the micro usb port, one of the main weaknesses in the design. I can still charge it without hanging it upside down or other special tricks but have to be very precise with the plug and the slightest movement can stop it from charging. In light of this surely not getting better over the time and that the old android version restricts me from using most newer apps plus all the advantages like the much better camera etc. I have now ordered a FP3+ and waiting anxiously to get my dirty fingers on it. I still plan to use my FP1 at least to January so that I can ask for a 7 years badge for it.
After I fully transfer to using the new FP I will keep my FP1 with the inscription on the backcover for being part of the first ever FP crowdfunding. I realise this is against the recommendations of FP as it means the minerals etc. in it won’t be reused but when the Technical Museum here in Vienna can have one on the display I guess so can I :wink:

13 Likes

I still use the FP1-series1, but not as daily driver.
As I use magnetic cables, I never get USB-port issues.
Batteries still usable; I bought 2 new ones just before they got sold-out.

5 Likes

I was ready to drop it one year ago but, hey, my FP1 is still with me after 6 years and 2 months!
I must admit I got a new phone for work, where I can install the apps that don’t support Android 4, but I’m still using FP1 as my personal phone, to browse the internet (Opera browser works really fine), Whatsapp, Telegram, and a bunch of other apps from the F-droid store.
Cheers!
PS: I think I deserve a new badge, don’t I? :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Like the FP2 at the end of the year 2015, the First Edition FP1s started to arrive at their initial crowdfunders on or just after Christmas 2013. So we might have a few of them here in the forum who are still using theirs. Whoever is one of them (my own FP1U is in use now for “only” 6 years, 5 months and 5 days, so I don’t qualify yet …) is encouraged to create a new topic "My FP1: Seven years and counting!". Feel encouraged! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I received my Fairphone 1 on January 27th 2014. So it is already 6 years, 11 months and 2 days in use.
Makes me proud to be of being part of Fairphone.

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: My FP1: Seven years and counting!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.