My FP1: four years and counting!

Didn’t make it to the 4 year-old mark with my early 2014 engraved back-cover FP1…
I had to switch after 3.5 years --the determining factor was that people would not hear me talk during phone calls. They coud hear me a bit better when I was outside/not in my home that has mediocre cell phone reception, and so standing by my window to conduct work meetings was becoming too unconvenient. Add to this the slightly cracked screen, the danse of batteries to charge externally because of the dysfunctional USB port, the unfocusing camera (which I broke myself when trying to clean the said USB port), the overall slowness of the software and the limited 2G connection (#CanadianFairphoner), I have to tell the switch to FP2 was welcome (thanks for the wedding gift, mom!).

3 Likes

I’m also still using my FP1 (with engraving) as my everyday phone. The battery has been replaced once as the original one bloated. everything else is original and USB works also, just a few scratches over the years in the screen but nothing bad. Of course I have also encountered apps that I can’t use due to the old Android version but as I anyway prefer using and having as few apps installed as possible it’s not a big deal yet for me. Not getting security patches is a concern for me but as others have mentioned here and elsewhere, don’t open e-mail attachments from unknown, install apps from unknown sources etc. and the risk is minimized.

6 Likes

My FP1 was delivered in September 2014 and was working just fine until recently, despite a pretty bad screen crack due to a heavy fall. I wish I could use it at least one more year but my battery recently bloated and now it charges poorly and only works for a few hours at a time… Desperately browsing the forum in search for a second-hand FP1 battery. Fingers crossed!!

2 Likes

Some people are using a generic battery see here for more information.

1 Like

You really should give the generic battery a try. It works fine for me and is already sold as “battery for FP1 -short version” :wink:

1 Like

OK thanks, will do that if I can’t find another FP1.

I do not know what that means, though

How do I fill the space?

There’s a picture somewhere in the thread. You can use everything. I use cardboard for example.

Yes, in the meantime I found the answer to my question. Thank you all very much!

2 Likes

What would justify a FP2 for you?

Maybe a used on from this forum would work for you?

Well basically, I have to be convinced that the amount of time I expect that I’ll be able to use it without problems is worth the money that I would spend on the phone. In general, I would prefer buying a phone that can last me another 4-5 years than buying one that I expect to become outdated within a couple of years. So I’d have to look into the predicted amount of time that the FP2 still receives updates and the time that spare parts will be available etc.

Also, I’ve seen some pictures taken with other phone cameras (thinking specifically of Google Pixel 2) that I was totally blown away by, and since I’m really into photography, I would also look into the specifics of the phone camera’s value for money. If the phone could double as a high-quality compact camera (something I really cannot say of the FP1), then I’d be willing to spend more on it.

2 Likes

We have a FP1 that has been running fine since Jan 2014. It suffered from the swelling battery problem and so that part has been replaced. The screen was replaced early in its life, as well.
The person that uses it at the moment is not a big user of apps, so the dated software is not too great a problem. Long-term support of aging software is an expensive process!
Thank you for all your work, guys!

8 Likes

I am very sad, but I have to report that I don’t use a FP1 anymore. The reason is very stupid, I just lost my phone (probably in the tram) and it hasn’t been returned to a lost-and-found office.

Now I am a FP2 user and I hope I manage to keep it for more than four years.

5 Likes

Hi everyone! I´m happy to read that FP1 is working till now. Mine arrived in February 2014 and it have worked so far now. Only a replacement of battery (bloated) and a friend also changed something related with the system.
Today is the day that the message " Unfortunately, System UI has stopped" apear again. Last week, It happened but I pushesd the button OK, and I had time to quickly push the button RESTAR and could restart the phone and it will continue working. Today I cannot!! I am desesperated because tomorrow I will travel to Bangladesh one month and without mobile phone it may well be very complicated!.

if this happened also with your FP1 phone, what dis you solve?. Please, if someone can tell me something asap I would apreciate so much!.

Sorry, for my bad English, I´m Spanish!! :wink:

First I’d try to go to #dic:customrecovery and clean the system cache. If that doesn’t work make a #dic:backup and then perform a #dic:hardreset.

1 Like

Thank you Paula!
Sorry, I am newby in this forum. How can access to the full explaination about how to do the customrecovery? I entered in the dictionary but I cannot see it.

1 Like

I found the information!!! and with the recovery mode it is working again!! THANK YOU!! UF…I feel now relieved. I hope my Fairphone survive to Bangladesh and much more!!!

Best

7 Likes

I am also still on my first Fairphone, deliverd January 2014. One change of battery in 2016. Still working like a jiffy. I am not a heavy user of apps, but those I frequent regularly are working fine. Het, I am looking forward to the new Fairphone 3. Any news, Fairphone?

4 Likes

News about a potential Fairphone 3 is bundled in this thread: Fairphone 3 - Interview of Bas from FrAndroid

2 Likes

Yes, still using FP1 after 4 years, even with the original battery. I LOVE having a FP & being part of all this; & great to know you guys in the FP community are out there :smiley:

Having some battery problems finally (not holding charge, esp if I browse internet or use Facebook), so wondering about replacing it but not sure where to go to get a new battery these days.

Am also considering upgrade to FP2, but would like to keep FP1 working anyway for ecological reasons & my son could use it.

Thanks everyone!:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Maybe this is something for you:

3 Likes