My FP1 : 10 years and counting

My FP1 just went 10. It’s still running for Boinc and the project World Community Grid.
World Community Grid enables anyone with a computer, smartphone or tablet to donate their unused computing power to advance cutting-edge scientific research on topics related to health, poverty and sustainability. Through the contributions of volunteers all over the globe, World Community Grid has supported 31 research projects to date, including searches for more effective treatments for cancer, HIV/AIDS and under-researched tropical diseases. Other projects are looking for low-cost water filtration systems and new materials for capturing solar energy efficiently.

10 Likes

I still have my FP1 and it was working when last used (my son used it in, I think 2018 after I transitioned to a FP2). I’ve been meaning to send it for recycling but might this project want it?

I also still use my FP1 first edition :slight_smile: However, not as a phone but only for downloading and listening to podcasts. Most apps stopped working properly quite some time ago and I wonder how long the browser app is going to work… But as long as it works I will keep using my beloved FP1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With all due respect for the longevity of all Fairphone 1 still running (really, I mean this) and without wanting to spoil the fun or anything too much, I’ll just leave this here regarding those devices possibly still being connected to the internet, full of security holes to exploit because of years of no security updates …

Botnets - consequences and protective actions.

(I’m not affiliated, I just chose this site as a summary of the topic.)

Botnets do real harm to organisations, companies and individual people. Devices full of security holes connected to the internet help them do this.

So please keep in mind … “It’s your responsibility to make sure that you take action to prevent others from taking control of your technology and using it for attacks.”

I’m not blaming anybody personally, I just want to raise some general awareness, because the sentiment “it’s my personal decision to risk catching some malware, because I’m the only one affected then” is still everywhere. But no, quite possibly you’re not the only one affected then.

2 Likes