Music as sms ringtone

how do i use a song from my music folder as sms ringtone or general notification ringtone?

Copy your song with the ā€˜File Managerā€™ to the file ā€œRingtonesā€ on your ā€˜Internal storageā€™.
Please have a look at the link How do I change my ringtone.

2 Likes

thanks for that. i now have the song as a voice call notification but still not as sms notification. any more suggestions please ?

i had a basic Blackberry so Android is new to me. some things are much, much easier with Android other things like media were more intuitive on BB.

This is a steep learning curve for an older user

For the sms notification you have to go to the ā€˜messagingā€™ app and go to the settings within the app. There you can choose your ringtone for the sms notification.

please be patient as iā€™m not getting this. so i go

1. messages

2. settings

3. text message ā€¦and then iā€™m stuck

OR

4. notifications

5. ringtoneā€¦but my song isnā€™t in the list of ringtones

please donā€™t give up on me just yet

1. messages
  2. settings
  3. Noficifations
  4. Ringtone
    Did you copied the ringtone you want for sms ringtone with the ā€˜File Managerā€™ to the file ā€œRingtonesā€ on your ā€˜Internal storageā€™?

Youā€™re on a Fairphone forum, here we look out for each other.

oh gosh i have no idea how to do that

Where is the ringtone now?

itā€™s in the music app

Take a deep breathe :wink:
Go to the app 'File Managerā€™
Tab on "Internal Storage"
Tab on "Music"
Look where youā€™re song is.
Tab long on the name of the song
If you tab long enough then you will get icons at the bottom of the screen.
Tab on the second icon, this is ā€˜copyā€™.
Now go back till you see ā€œInternal Storageā€ again.
Tab on "Internal Storage"
Tab on "Ringtone"
Now you will see 4 icons at the bottom of the screen.
Tab on the third icon, this is ā€˜pasteā€™.
And your song is now copied to the file Ringtone.
Leave the ā€œFile Managerā€.
Go to
Noficifations
Ringtone
and now you should be able to choose your song.

3 Likes

ok, i think he did it, btw i think that there is an easier way on doing it.
if you download another file menager like es explorer when you try to change ringotnes the phone will ask you if you want to use the normal file system or the file manager that you have installed. so if you choose the new file manager like es explorer you can find the song wherever is saved

ok weā€™re getting there.

iā€™m ok up till ā€œmusicā€ but the song doesnā€™t show up in ā€œinternal storageā€ the ā€œmusicā€ file is empty

the song is only in the music app

progress !!!

song is in ā€œringtonesā€ on ā€œinternal storageā€ but still doesnā€™t show in the ringtone list in message notifications. this has got to be me doing something silly

your instructions by the way are brilliantly clear

keep going and iā€™ll keep working on it here

thanks v v much

okā€¦ may be i didnā€™t understand well what the problem isā€¦ you need to choose a song as ringtones or notification for message right? here is how to do it:

1. go on play store and download ā€œes file explorerā€ (should be the first result, this is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=it)
    2)go on message
    3)press the left button at the left bottom of the FP (the one for settings)
    4)choose settings
    5)choose notifications
    6)choose select ringtones
  2. now a little windows will ask you if you want to use media storage or Es File Explorer, choose Es file Explorer
    8)now a new windows will show you all the folders you have in your phone so if for example this song is saved in Bluetooth folder, go in it and press on the song.
  3. Done :wink:

thankyou demetrio itā€™s nice that people here help out

appreciated

j

1 Like

uhm, little problem, I canā€™t find the folder ā€œringtoneā€ā€¦ any ideas?

Can you make a folder named ā€œRingtonesā€ in ā€œyour internal storageā€?
Put there your ringtone.
And at the end when you go to ā€˜messagesā€™, go to settings/preferences
tick to 'enable notificationsā€™
then tap on "Sound"
and choose your song.

(I think my original posting is to old, because I canā€™t edit it.)

hiya Lidwien helped me use a full song as a text notification. is this what you want? thereā€™s a different way to do it.

1 Like

Hi Lidwien! Thx for your answer. Meanwhile I worked out something on my own :smile:
I thought of making the folder as well, but it wasnā€™t as easy as it seems. Well, creating a folder was peanuts, but the correct location wasnā€™t :slight_smile:
I saw a fodler ā€˜notificationsā€™ in Internal Storage, so I made a ā€˜ringtonesā€™ one there, but that didnā€™t work out. But then I saw another ā€˜notificationsā€™ folder in Internal storage\media\audio so I made my ā€˜ringtonesā€™ one over there: finally succesful :smile:

I had some minor issues as well, because I had to switch to MTP because of Unified Storage.

But as I said: it works fine now :slight_smile:

this doesnā€™t work with the 1.6 version of fairphone OS because my PC cannot see the amalgamated drive