Modularity, ethics and Fairphones (5,4,3,2,1)

The poster before you is talking about Trias Politica and wonders which part of the UK government actually creates the laws.

I agree that the EU can be more democratic, but that’s not only true for the EU. The US could be more democratic, The Netherlands can be more democratic, The UN could be more democratic.

I agree that Switzerland has a very nice system, but you could still critic it.

2 Likes

I will keep up with this thread and post more on ideas-thoughts-practical approaches later, but what I’d like to share first is a very intriguing rabbit hole that Louis Rossmann pondered over during one of his “ride around the city rants”: IP spaghetti when ODMs copy and paste “patented” designs/design elements for many if not the majority of their client brands’ products.

Hopefully it’s still early enough in the endomodular consumer computing device market niche for Fairphone, Shiftphone, Teracube, Framework, and their partnering ODMs to untangle any potential IP snags if they do decide to band together (hopefully in a few years if not by the end of the decade) to form a modular component standards consortium or at least take steps to work together to avoid legal hurdles when it comes to improving usability, repairability, or even interchangeable interoperability for the common user.

2 Likes

LG InnoTech just started offering standardized camera modules including some with variable telephoto zoom (yes like in the Sony Xperia 1 IV).

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxK9rNeJ0XWLFmH1G1TJJ7P8bBOasXwfBz

I’d love to see Fairphone work with suppliers & fellow ultrarepairable phone brands to standardize more component modules & internal connectors specifications.

2 Likes
1 Like

I think you meant to tag @plantroop? I don’t doubt the greenhouse effect :slight_smile:

I thought you would be interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

@plantroop I can also recommend this video

3 Likes

Regarding English not being your 1st language, note that backticks aren’t a replacement for apostrophes. You’ll be barked at by autocorrect and probably accidentally format your text as code if you’re not careful.

1 Like

Yeah, she’s seriously adept and reputable. Sabine is pretty much undefeatable.

Really, this does already occur. However, at a significantly smaller level. That’s because companies that desire efficient and physically small devices need to be able to design ultimately custom components whilst reducing developmental cost by utilizing standard components to manufacture those larger components.

Most people, when they see my #help:fairphone4, say “Golly, that’s thick.” (or something to that effect – I somewhat poshly paraphrased it :grin:) which most other companies do not desire for their brand image for objectively silly but ultimately rational reasons.

Consequently, truly, I expect that the form factor of the smartphone body is what should most immediately be standardized. Imagine what would have occurred to motherboard manufacturers if they didn’t have to adhere to the size constraints of ATX? Everything would become vaguely fucked.

1 Like

Indeed, I’ll take you up on that offer – it should send tanks to Ukraine, since that’s what its populace actually desires.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.