Missing LED indicator for charging / new messages

Pixels are just phones, it’s not integrated as a default for Android (luckily). The date format should match your default language locale.

Anyway, Fairphone makes Android customizations, I’m not an Android dev, but I suppose this isn’t hard to apply. The integer for the timeout is set somewhere. There just needs to be a method to change it.

Hi UPPERCASE,

Ah, I thought Pixel was also the name for the Google launcher. I stand corrected.

I wouldn’t know how many customisations Fairphone have made nor how easy it would be to do. I’ve seen bug fixes for Android 10 (of which there have been many including regressions), but the only mod I know about is the FP3 LED. There’s bound to be a list somewhere.

No, the unwanted unremovable date on the 'droid 10 home screen is in US. ie Wednesday, Dec 22 whereas the lock screen is correct for my part of the world : Wed, 22, Dec.

Apologies ‘visaton’ for talking FP3 on your FP4 thread. It wasn’t my intention to hijack it.

The strategy seems to be to remove things and make people think “You don’t need this ******* anyway.” But it is only one of several reasons why I don’t want a FP4 and keep the FP3.

2 Likes

II do not share your opinion here
I rather think that it is due to the modularity.
Of course you can put everything in. The only question is at what price.
Weight and size can not be expanded endlessly

There will always be things that some miss and others just not.
Especially in the case of FP, the balancing act they have to do is even wider than with other manufacturers.

If you are one of the power users who always want the latest technology with all the features, FP is not the right place for you. The approach and the philosophy is different…

Just my 2 cents

4 Likes

I do not want the “latest hardware” and especially do not want to pay the price for it. But it is a joke when things are missing that can be considered basic features. A notification LED is a basic feature if there is no OLED screen, as said often already.

7 Likes

But only by some people, a lot of users like me are absolutely satisfied without a notification LED.

2 Likes

I already pointed out that I’m glad I have an FP3, so I don’t need a new phone. I wouldn’t buy the FP4 either.

This is a deja vue for me. I had the same effect with Ubuntu and Gnome. With every new release, the Gnomes took away knobs to control features, layout, tada. Until I installed KDE. They continued to atrophy Gnome, but I didn’t really notice anymore. And I’m perfectly happy with KDE. No problems of this sort for many years now. It happens this way when you have no special obligations but enough opportunities.

This could happen with FP5, too, Fairphone! You listening?

2 Likes

Is KDE having a notification LED? :rofl:

OK, just a joke. Sorry…

4 Likes

Exactly, and this is why I can understand the decision to remove the headphone jack, even though I personally regret it : there were downsides in terms of space occupied and water-resistance. But in the case of the LED I really cannot think of any: very small and lightweight, negligible power consumption, and those who don’t like it can turn it off and forget about it.

It is actually quite the opposite: people regretting the loss of the LED are not asking for some new technology, they regret the removal of an immensely useful legacy technology, for no obvious reason, and with nothing to replace it.

9 Likes

Is that true?

I remember that the LED on the FP3 in the beginning was only used to indicate charging.
With some update it also got the ability to indicate notifications and I’m quite sure I didn’t have to enable it. In fact I was kind of surprised (positively) to see notifications without knowing beforehand they were back.

6 Likes

Indeed yes. It wasn’t that long before the update though.

Oh right? Perhaps I shouldn’t have said that with such certainty as I’ve only ever met two FP3s. My own FP3, and the one that belongs to an ex work collegue (now a friend) who I talked into buying one. I met up with him 6-7 weeks ago for the first time since Covid kicked off and turned his “blink light” setting on. I was still on Droid 9 at the time, he was on 10. I’m sure I had to change the settings for my own FP3 but as it was about 2 years ago I may be remembering it wrong?

Merry Christmas!

You are right, is was quite some time ago so there is no guarantee my memory is right, either. :slight_smile:
For the sake of completeness: the switch to turn off/on the notification LED is in “Settings > Apps and notifications > Notifications > Advanced > Blink light”

3 Likes

I had to activate this setting. I wasn’t aware the FP3 was able to use the LED for more than a charging indicator. Only after the discussion of missing notification LED in the FP4 started, I realized it.

1 Like

I never used an indicator led. In the day time I wear a smartwatch to get notifications.

I think that this led is a nice feature. It shows me when there are notifications missed, when the phone needs to charge and when it has charged. It sits on the table at work and I just need to glance at it to see the status.

I do not really like when people say that to have a sustainable phone it needs to sacrifice the features. You can blame economy of scale and trying to make sacrifice for making it cheaper, but not the sustainability. For me, FP4 is not good enough. I think they have got the balance wrong.

6 Likes

It would be bad if it was good enough for all people. FP would not be able to keep up with production and other manufacturers would no longer sell phones. And in the end, FP would have the monopoly.
All not good… :wink:

Joking aside. It’s nice that there is a choice on the market and everyone can buy what he likes best.

For me, the FP4 is 99.998% good. Miss nothing. Am happy.

2 Likes

[

I’m pleased FP4 is good enough for you. For me, it isn’t in contention as too many features I require / want / would like are missing. I don’t know what the future holds for Fairphone model 5. I live in hope it will be superb, but I won’t hold my breath :wink:

The developers don’t seem to be pro active, and software writers don’t add features they could eg. different ringtones per SIM. Has Fairphone asked their existing clients what they would want to see in the next model? If they did, they would be be two better than any of the existing manufacturers as I don’t know of any that do. Also, it would shut people like me up when they say only 1% wanted this feature.

I think (and it is only my opinion) Fairphone need to be better with the finishing touches if they want to dent the market.

2 Likes

OK, and now?
@TW8punk, @tridy what are you doing?
Do you sell your FP4? Do you send it back? Or do you live with it without beeing satisfied?

Personally, I have my FP3. I am not buying FP4, even though at this point several members of my family need a replacement.

6 Likes

@AlphaElwedritsch
I am very happy with the FP3 and will stick with it. If my FP3 decides to self destruct at some point, I’d have to look elsewhere. While I could get by without a headphone socket, I wouldn’t want to pay a premium price to revert to a phone without a persistant visual notification (back on topic momentarily!). Also, my current requirements are for two physical SIMs whereas the FP4 only has one slot. e-SIMs are only provided by a small selection of providers here at the moment.

The FP4 in most other aspects seems like a very good phone, it just isn’t suitable for me sadly. I hope it sells well enough for them to bring out a better feature packed dual SIM phone in two years time :wink:

4 Likes