Microphone not working FP2 fixed by rubbing alcohol

Hi all,
About a year ago my primary microphone stopped working so I bought a new one. (I have had my FP2 for 4 years now). A couple of months ago, the same thing happened again with the replacement. For a while, my voice was still being transmitted but with a lot of static, then it stopped working all together. When i pressed down on it, the microphone works again. Apparently this is a common problem (cf. https://www.reddit.com/r/fairphone/comments/de8a4b/fairphone_2_microphone_design_problem/).

It seems the problem was linked to oxidation which was solved with some rubbing alcohol and cotton buds used on the contacts (microphone module and screen module).

I thought i would share, in case someone else has a similar problem, I just wish I had tried this a year ago, instead of buying a second microphone module!

4 Likes

I’m already on my 5th bottom module which also broke recently, I’ll try to fix all 5 of them with your tip.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm,

after 4 and 1/2 years, my bottom module is dying. People hear a hollow sound when I talk to them. I did test the primary microphone through the Check Up app. Yes, it sounds hollow. However, when I press on a particular spot on the slim case, it is much better. I went back to my old slim case. it is slightly better than my new slim case.
I did try rubbing alcohol, but it did not help. The core module is slightly bent. May be this is the reason?
@Stanzi, let me know if rubbing alcohol did help you with your 5 broken bottom modules. :slight_smile:

I’ve just replaced my bottom module after 2.5 years, because a similar issue.
Thanks for sharing!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.