Meta Discussion about List of Free Cell & WiFi Databases for Location Services

There is a contact form right here.

Does anyone know what is happening with openwlanmap and openwifi.su? The android client switched to uploading to openwifi.su. Is a new name part of the server move? Are they separate projects? Do they share data?

1 Like

Iā€™m confused too. After the latest update the standard setting was to upload to openwifi.su but the leaderboard on openwifi.su was outdated by months.
Iā€™ve sent a mail to openwifiā€™s contact address but the response was very hard to understand (I think the guy was russian).
I changed the setting to upload to openwlanmap, but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s really better.
But since the data is freely licensed Iā€™d hope they share.

I just updated the wiki for the first time in months and see that nobody of us in the leaderboard seems active anymore. Except for @sim6, but he isnā€™t active in the forum anymore.

So letā€™s start stumbling, mapping and beaconing again! :smile:

Also does anybody already know why OpenWlanMap split into two websites with mismatched data sets?

1 Like

There seems to be something odd about OWM. I lost rank and points and my update last week isnā€™t showing.

Youā€™re uploading to the new webiste youā€™re rank 27 there.

At that website the list is showing me at 23, with 28123 points. Whilst my phone is showing rank 24 with 22204 points. So I get confused.

Would someone please tell me what this topic is about? Surely I can read ā€œFree Cell & Wlan Databasesā€ but I donā€™t have a clue what that could be good forā€¦ Anyone up for an explanation?

2 Likes

Itā€™s about free alternatives for Googleā€™s, Appleā€™s and other Wifi/Cell Databases used for their location services.
If you have Google Services on your phone, then you can use their location service to get a rough Location via wifi and cell networks without GPS. If you start GPS Google will - without your explicit permission - track your phone and save your data on their servers. This data will then belong to Google. They donā€™t just do it with location data.

These free Databases are different: You can upload your data on a voluntary basis and the data will be free (means: doesnā€™t belong to anybody // everybody can use it without having to pay anything for it). Also most of these databases (or is it all of them? donā€™t know right now) have an opt-out function, meaning: If you want your Wifi-Router not to be in the database you can remove it permanently.

Now, if you donā€™t have Google (anti)services installed on your Fairphone you can use Āµg UnifiedNlp as a Location Service without GPS.

3 Likes

Thank you. Once I have my FP2 you will probably see me ask lots of questions on how to get rid of data collection machine google. I saw the other topic with the alternative apps already. Gonna read into all that more closely!

3 Likes

I stopped with OpenWlanMap. I canā€™t upload anymore. There is no reply on message to OpenWlanMap.
So I ended up removing the app from my phone.

Yeah I have the same problems. It would be sad if this was the endā€¦ :frowning:

I still dont completely understand the OpenWlanMap OpenWifi.su split, but i think uploads to either of them make it onto http://owm.vreeken.net/map/ . I had the trouble uploading, and the developer suggested switching on the ā€œUpload data via insecure HTTPā€ in the options, which works for me.

1 Like

Uploading via insecure HTTP is definitely a no go for me, never.
Sorry to say, but a developer how suggest to use an insecure HTTP???
I am flabbergasted by such a suggestion.:rage:

Uploading works again for me, with secure https.

And I think openwifi.su is the project that should be supported.

I tried to install OpenWLANMap on my FP2. When I go to preferences several lines are unreadable because they show numbers instead of letters.
Re-enable the Privacy Impact makes no difference.

If I install OpenWLANMini I see less options (itā€™s the mini version) in the preferences, but they are all readable.

Hi,
I have been contributing to this interesting project- itā€™s similar to OpenStreetMaps.org which Iā€™m also a big fan of. Itā€™s basically an open source WiFi map of the world, collected using an app on android mobiles. There are commercial versions of this in existence, for example, itā€™s one of the things google streetview cars do when they drive around.

I was hoping posting here would find one of the members of the team ā€œFairphoneā€ which Iā€™d join if theyā€™d like- although Iā€™m out of their geographical areaā€¦ Iā€™d need the team ID code from them.

If anyoneā€™s interested in this themselves or just wants to see or read more the projects page is here: http://www.openwlanmap.org/owlmapatandroid.php?lang=en

A map of their current coverage is here: http://owm.vreeken.net/map/

Hey @matthew
I moved your post here.
The first post is a Wiki, you can add yourself to the top list(s).

New contributors are always welcome :smiley:

A post was split to a new topic: :pencil: List of Free Cell & WiFi Databases for Location Services