Meta Discussion about List of Free Cell & WiFi Databases for Location Services

Count me in the Fairphoners/Paul team.

Due to a problem my ranking is 327. OWM is looking into my problem with the ranking, which started after importing my data on OWM after a reset of my Fairphone.

1 Like

Joined. Would be nice if they could rename the team to just ā€œFairphoneā€, but no worries if they canā€™t.

1 Like

Hey Iā€™m open to change the name, its just that my name and the teamā€™s name will be the same.

EDIT: I changed my name to ā€œFairphoneā€ as you suggested. I like it, because without the ā€œ-ersā€ in the end it works well as a username and as a team name. :smiley:
The name will change in the highscore list next time I upload data.

@Lidwien Seems like your rank is back. :smiley: Nr. 77 as Tux right? Because there is also a Tuxje at 69 who wasnā€™t there before.
Cool weā€™re allready rank 17 as a Team :slight_smile:

Yes, I am Tux. Due to some problems I had made an account as Tuxje.
So both Tuxje and Tux is me.
I will continue as Tux. Consider Tuxje as a bonus :wink:

1 Like

EDIT: Service has been moved and everything is back up and running :smiley:

@paulakreuzer Do you know what has happend to openwlanmap public DB download? Seems like you can download it anymore or the file is still there but is zero bytes.

Are you talking about db.tar.bz2? When I try to download it it says 7.5 kb.
Maybe it has/had to do with the moving of the server?

I hope itā€™s a missing cron job, and not a policy changeā€¦ Makes it hard to plan my ridesā€¦ Any idea who to contact?

There is a contact form right here.

Does anyone know what is happening with openwlanmap and openwifi.su? The android client switched to uploading to openwifi.su. Is a new name part of the server move? Are they separate projects? Do they share data?

1 Like

Iā€™m confused too. After the latest update the standard setting was to upload to openwifi.su but the leaderboard on openwifi.su was outdated by months.
Iā€™ve sent a mail to openwifiā€™s contact address but the response was very hard to understand (I think the guy was russian).
I changed the setting to upload to openwlanmap, but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s really better.
But since the data is freely licensed Iā€™d hope they share.

I just updated the wiki for the first time in months and see that nobody of us in the leaderboard seems active anymore. Except for @sim6, but he isnā€™t active in the forum anymore.

So letā€™s start stumbling, mapping and beaconing again! :smile:

Also does anybody already know why OpenWlanMap split into two websites with mismatched data sets?

1 Like

There seems to be something odd about OWM. I lost rank and points and my update last week isnā€™t showing.

Youā€™re uploading to the new webiste youā€™re rank 27 there.

At that website the list is showing me at 23, with 28123 points. Whilst my phone is showing rank 24 with 22204 points. So I get confused.

Would someone please tell me what this topic is about? Surely I can read ā€œFree Cell & Wlan Databasesā€ but I donā€™t have a clue what that could be good forā€¦ Anyone up for an explanation?

2 Likes

Itā€™s about free alternatives for Googleā€™s, Appleā€™s and other Wifi/Cell Databases used for their location services.
If you have Google Services on your phone, then you can use their location service to get a rough Location via wifi and cell networks without GPS. If you start GPS Google will - without your explicit permission - track your phone and save your data on their servers. This data will then belong to Google. They donā€™t just do it with location data.

These free Databases are different: You can upload your data on a voluntary basis and the data will be free (means: doesnā€™t belong to anybody // everybody can use it without having to pay anything for it). Also most of these databases (or is it all of them? donā€™t know right now) have an opt-out function, meaning: If you want your Wifi-Router not to be in the database you can remove it permanently.

Now, if you donā€™t have Google (anti)services installed on your Fairphone you can use Āµg UnifiedNlp as a Location Service without GPS.

3 Likes

Thank you. Once I have my FP2 you will probably see me ask lots of questions on how to get rid of data collection machine google. I saw the other topic with the alternative apps already. Gonna read into all that more closely!

3 Likes

I stopped with OpenWlanMap. I canā€™t upload anymore. There is no reply on message to OpenWlanMap.
So I ended up removing the app from my phone.