MDM (Mobile Device Management)

I started a small reseach on MDM software and the bigger ones are as far as I know:

• G Suite from Google,
  • AirWatch,
  • Mobilelron,
  • Samsung Knox, …

Does anyone have experiences using FP1, FP1u and/or FP2 with MDM?

Is there also an open source solution?

Greetings
Werner

Useful links:

I don’t know nothing about MDM, but…

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20612067/open-source-mobile-device-management-solution-for-android

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback so far :slight_smile:

I had no time to try any of the mentioned solutions, but I think I will try out the following solutions and report how they are working on Fairphones:

• Google G Suite (which is free for NGOs)
  • Samsung Knox (several Austrian providers offer this to their business partners)
  • WSO2 (which is open source)
  • (maybe) Airwatch

I think MDM is an interesting field.
On the one hand (as a sysadmin) you want to administrate your devices easily, on the other hand these tools have a lot of power over the devices and their data (e.g. remote wipe etc.).
I’m curious about the user acceptance to such tools. What are your experiences?

Last Thursday I talked to a T-Mobile employee about this topic (also referencing to your curiosity) and he said that he wouldn’t use a Fairphone for both his work and private communication because due to company regulations he would have to install a MDM software (don’t know which).

Then the company could monitor both his work and his private SIM card. Or are there ways to separately handle two user accounts? Can MDM be restricted to only one user account and when I get home I just switch to my private profile?

Hi @Stefan,

I just started my research, so I do not know exactly how MDM solutions can be focused on only one account (sim card). I guess there are different approaches.
But you are absolutely right privacy and data is an important issue if it comes to MDM!
Therefore I’m quite interested in open source solutions where the administration and data is not stored somewhere beyond my control…

2 Likes

Fairphone is partnering with Uhuru Mobile. Maybe that’s what you are looking for, @werner_noebauer ?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

It is not free, but much easier to use that Samsung Knox Suite:

You wrote that quite a long time ago but it’s still an interesting topic. I think users will fall into at least two categories: those who care and those who don’t. The latter are obviously not going to be an immediate problem, though I think that such users should be educated to care what happens on their devices, whether private or corporate.

For those who do care, their willingness to BYOD is probably an indication that they will accept a rationally presented case. In particular, the use of containerisation means that sysadmins don’t need, or necessarily have, the ability to intervene (e.g. wipe) outside of the container. And in most cases I think the phone’s owner can always remove the containerised apps and data if they change their mind.

Where I work, the BYOD service is offered, but certainly not imposed; if the corporation requires some employees to use mobile devices then it has to supply them.