Wallpaper and style’ setting (Material You) missing in FP4 version of Android 12?

To clarify, new features are good. The problem is when it changes the UI without any options and without enabling

1 Like

Well hello to the forum, maybe you’d like to explain why you are so upset with the update. Saying ‘shameful’ says nothing except that you are un happy with what you expect maybe.

This is a base roll out of an update to A12 and has little to do with Fairphone, except they push it to users. They are not some Samsung body with resources that can add their own flair or tweak the Android OS to any noticeable degree.

@pcam

Same really, this is not a feature added by Fairphone, this is an Android 12 base update, so it’s down to Google’s idea of what the market wants, and of course there will be a minority that don’t like it.

1 Like

Not really as you can see in my FP3 Screenshot above, that is how Google provides it. The FP implemention is def missing something.

That seems to be the same on the A13 beta for the FP3

Terrible options :frowning:

1 Like

My personal guess is: the people where screaming its not there. It seems FPOS is based on A12 and not A12L which introduced this feature outside of Pixel Phones. FP tried to do their customers a favour and tried to implememt it in A12 and thats the outcome now…

4 Likes

@anon9989719 the menu colours now look really bad on my phone due to my background. It’s really irritating not being able to change it back to how it was.

3 Likes

Ah! you’ve been moved over to the ongoing topic.

All the best

I think so too, but sometimes it’s better to do nothing, especially when your are not able to implement the feature as users wished. As it is, it’s worse than before.
Edit: Luckily I found a wallpaper where the colours aren’t that bad. But it’s annoying that you can’t really use the one you want.

1 Like

This is an Android choice not a user choice so Fairphone are not adding a user feature at a use request but providing the generic Android update.

Any complaints could be directed at Google, as if that would change much, the alternative would be for Fairphone not to implement the updates which no doubt would be contrary to their licence with Google and what the majoroty of user want.

Since the latest update, the colors in the menu automatically adjust to the background, which I find extremely annoying. How can I disable this. Haven’t found a way to do this yet.
It feels like every update introduces new degradations, but without fixing old bugs.

3 Likes

Well its not only an Android choice if it previously wasn’t in the OS. It’s also the choice of Fairphone if or how you impliment things.

I mean, ok maybe the majority of users are not interested in how the UI looks or is ok with a workaround, but how do you know the “majoroty” wants it like it is now? Do you really find it good/user-friendly as it is? Its ok if you think so, nevertheless I personally would like at least an option to set the UI back to like it was before and only get the security update.

1 Like

Why are you repeating this when it was clearly mentioned already above that this not correct? Google did not implement it this way.

On the FP3 A13 beta as you show there are settings for this, which are clearly missing on the FP4 as you can see on my FP4 Screenshot above.

The accent color based on the wallpaper, without a way to change it, is the way it worked in A12, only the Pixels had further options at that time.

AOSP got those options starting with A13. This will be fixed once the FP4 jumps to the next version, whenever that is …

4 Likes

Oh well, it was time for me to change my wallpaper anyway… (To prevent burn-in) :grinning:

1 Like

I have the same problem and the same ugly yellow-ish colour, despite my wallpapers being mostly black and blue. However, for me not all buttons are yellow, some are still baby blue like before (which makes it even uglier imo). I hope this can be changed soon.
(Should have learned from last time not to install the update immediately but here I am for security reasons xD)

Edit: I just went over to the wallpaper setting and confirmed my old wallpaper. That at least got rid of the weird tobacco yellow. When I set my lock screen again the accent colour was a weird pale grey-rose, so I set the lock screen wallpaper again (it’s already there I just picked it again) that changed the accent colour back to a baby blue/blue grey similar to what I had before.
Apparently the feature works, but it’s at least in my case picking the accent colour based on thelast wallpaper you chose, I don’t know if that’s intended.

It’s not exactly the same as before but it’s okay for me like that. Maybe trying that out helps others too.

3 Likes

mentions that “Fairphone OS version B.065” allows the user to

Further personalize your Fairphone with accent colors. System menus and buttons will automatically change color, depending on your Home Screen wallpaper.

but I don’t see any extended personalization options under com.android.settings > “Styles & Wallpaper”.

1 Like

Just see above your are not the first to find out :wink:

1 Like

@yvmuell, Material You not in FP4 version of Android 12? is different – this might be a more broad meta-issue, but No updated Styles section after update was specifically about the update released yesterday, which explicitly states that it has added this functionality.

That update is the outcome of the customer request to implement Material you. Just read above.

Edit: see it that way: with the settings you and all others miss it would be Material you, without the settings its Material You without an Option to influence the colors beside changing the wallpaper