Marcel Bokhorst calls it quits

That’s exactly what calyx is doing with their firewall. Nothing else.
Their firewall is just a frontend to set this parameters for all apps in one app.

I asked this very question in the calyx matrix room and got it confirmed by the devs.
Quasi it is only a comfort fearure

If you still want to block against blacklists on the DNS level, you have to install additional apps that use a VPN.
Is not integrated in the calyx firewall

4 Likes

It seems that crossing fingers has helped. I got a new update today and in the FAQ you linked to yesterday he wrote:

Google contacted me and explained what the problem is and how it can be solved. The next steps are being evaluated …

10 Likes

There is a lot of movement again.

Took this and a lot of similar incidents in the past as a reminder to finally ask the company I work for if they donate for FOSS projects we use. Was more of a rhetorical question though. :wink:

If more companies would only donate a thousand euros per year, this would make a huge difference for the creators. For a company like the one I work for, that would not even be a single Euro per person. I am excited to get an answer and see how much they are willing to donate.

Maybe you all can ask too, for an organisation it is probably much cheaper than the license fees they have to pay for proprietary software in case of just a single one abandoned project.

4 Likes

Yes I know, but not opportunistic encryption.

FairEmail seems to be back alive:

https://www.androidpolice.com/fairemail-back-to-play-store-after-privacy-policy/

8 Likes

Yes, Google approved a new version today!

OOUFF :smiley:

3 Likes

Let’s see what happen in near future :wink:
Hopefully the right things

An old horse will ride until it dies.
It cannot just stand still and do nothing :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately the opposite is the reality. The users are stingy.
The developers get almost nothing in donations for their apps on F-droid.

In the case of FairEmail:
Users can use the Free Software free of charge. Users can compile the app with the Pro features for free. If you want to use the app with Pro features compiled by Marcel, you have to make a donation. $5 for lifetime use on as many devices as you have! :face_with_spiral_eyes:
But, the internet is full of complaints from users: Marcel is being rude because he wants money for free open source software that he develops in his spare time.
Oh man, humanity is just ungrateful. I can understand every FLOSS Dev. who eventually gets tired of it.

11 Likes

That’s why wonderful people from our awesome community have contributed to a “Free Software Donation Day”:

3 Likes

I remitted 7.50 Euro for every download because these apps are really good and people I know have no problems to do similar.
But it is true: Something is wrong with some people. They try to save the tip for the waiter or 50 Cents for the toilet but on the motorway no problem for the same people to go with maximum speed irrespective of petrol cost.
Well, we cannot change them but I want to say is: Stingy does not mean in most cases lack of money. I think the main problem are expectations. They think free software must be for free!! If you look in the Playstore most apps can be downloaded without payment. But they are not free- you have to pay with your data!
Marcels apps are free of trackers. Why not paying for them?
Do we need a new marketing concept for privacy-respecting apps?

5 Likes

Perhaps one of the main reasons is that the mass of people don’t care about data protection. “I have nothing to hide.” And another cause is certainly the “greed is cool” mentality that has prevailed for some time. According to this, it is completely OK for such people (and unfortunately, that seems to be most of them!) to be completely leaked, as long as everything is “free”. By free, they mean that they don’t have to pay any money. As I said, the data don’t matter…
Such people do not even recognise the high value of FOSS software. They can’t. They don’t think about it at all.

3 Likes

I purchased the pro featured version a couple of days ago and I really like it. Unlike GMAil, the Fairmail app is very well thought out. Great with multiple mail boxes too as I can add the ones I want to see to right away to unified inbox while the less important mailboxes can be excluded.

Thanks ’ teezeh’ for making me notice Fairmail. Fingers crossed Godgle don’t find reason to remove it in the future.

I bought it years ago. 5 EUR or whatever it was for lifetime license on unlimited devices is a bargain price. For people in poorer countries (Marcel and I are from NL) it might be a bit steep, I don’t know.

1 Like

The F-droid version can also be unlocked for 0.10 cents and from Github for nothing.
At Riseup.net, fundraising is always like this: Everyone donates what they can, people from Europe and the US also pay for people from poorer countries. I don’t donate much to Riseup because my Tor exit and Monero nodes cost a few hundred € a month.

Apart from subscribing to the pro version, i give regularly to developers as Marcel : 30€ in 2018, 30 more in 2020 and 20€ in 2021.

That’s cheap considering the quality of the appplication and his involvement.

4 Likes

May be it is a little bit off-topic. So the moderator should feel free to shift the post.

The Netguard firewall pro-version is great!!
The problem I had in the past was caused by Google Play Store, because I bought a longer time ago the pro-version in the Play store. But the play store does not allow the ad-guard. Later on I deleted the play-version, installed the F-droid one and remitted money to Marcel Bokhorst.
But the ad-guard did not work at all. I took days to find out that the Play-Store disturbed and blocked it. I had to go to my Playstore account “Manage apps and account” - “Manage” - press the triangle to change from "installed apps to “not installed apps” and delete Netguard.
But bear in mind: Your paid app in Google Play is lost. If you want to install again via Google you have to pay to Google again.
(Better to pay directly to Marcel!!!)
Hope his post helps to reduce mails to Marcel a little bit ,-)

4 Likes

Yes, never pay the evil …

2 Likes

Its really strange :
Deleted Netguard in the Playstore list and installed from F-Droid as reported above but just see that Playstore says: Netguard is installed.
I cannot get rid of Google ,-)
Now i am waiting eagerly for the final release of Calyx!!!

If you don’t get rid of the Play Store, that’s no surprise :wink: .
NetGuard on the Play Store is package name eu.faircode.netguard, NetGuard on F-Droid is package name eu.faircode.netguard, the Play Store can’t see any difference (as there is none).

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.