Made in China undermines the fair claim

I though that this concept was interesting. However, when I went to the site, I saw that the phone was made in China. For me, this makes a mockery of the whole ethical claim.

Have you checked all the blog post?

This one for instance: http://www.fairphone.com/2014/07/28/worker-welfare-fund-electing-worker-representatives/

Throwing rocks at chinese workers is not the way, trying to show them that their lives can be better is…

Not everything is done in China either…

3 Likes

Hi @antityco

You might want to read this and in general: this .

Although, you are correct when claiming that the phone is assembled in China, you can also see that a lot of parts come from other continents, where the whole idea behind “fair” (as in “fair materials”, “fair prices” …) stands out even more.

Therefore I don’t quite understand why it would undermine the fair claim, just because it’ assembled in China.

Kind regards,

Robin

2 Likes

@antityco

I agree with Robin and Zoidbergforpresident - please read the links above. Fairphone are making a big attempt to address some the problems associated with manufacturing and assembly in China. In the great scheme of things, Fairphone is a very small project and operation, but hopefully it will inspire better models for working practices within China from a grass roots level, as well as maybe setting a bench mark for other Global companies to be compared to. I imagine that anywhere in the world Fairphone could have chosen to do assembly would possibly be imperfect. From what I read it seems to Fairphone took a pragmatic decision to use China because of the proximity to most components, infrastructure, expertise / workforce + the disproportionate positive affect that the ideas employed by Fairphone could have in this environment.

I think Fairphone have made it quite clear that they can’t solve all the problems, and for that they should be commended for their transparency and honesty. They are making small positive impact in a world with big problems and that, in my view, should be supported.

1 Like

Seems like others have already directed you to information to read here. Just because a product is made in china doesn’t automatically mean it is unethical. Fairphone have already made an impact on the way it treats the employees it uses - this is quite a big deal and it does unfortunately need to happen in china to make the impact since that’s where a lot of phones are built.

Ridiculous statements like the one made by the original poster here are quickly and easily countered by the folks here at this forum, but unfortunately this (incorrect) sentiment is a kneejerk response many uninformed people have about FairPhone.

It’s sometimes disheartening to see how much time I have to spend explaining that, yes, the FairPhone itself is not 100% fair (far from), but that it’s a means to and end in a movement that has only just begun.

2 Likes

Et voila, this is very well said !

1 Like