Looking for good video and image apps

Fellow community members,

Recently switched from a Samsung S6 to a Fairphone 3. Great choice, but I am struggling with finding decent Image and Video apps. Not for editing specifically, but for navigating through those. The Samsung phone has native apps for them, Fairphone doesn’t.

I am wondering, what kind of apps do you use for managing and navigating through your videos and pictures?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome! :slightly_smiling_face:

My FP3 had by default the application “Photos”, from Google, which in addition to allowing you to view the photos and videos also has a simple editor integrated. If your phone doesn’t have it, you can download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos

Alternatively, you can use the “Simple Gallery” application (also on the Play Store) or its Pro version from F-Droid.

Good luck with that! :smiley:

4 Likes

*Proprietary software alert*

F-Stop has been my gallery app for the better part of a decade. Sadly its code is proprietary but it’s so good I actually paid for the premium version some years ago.

It has lots of settings (full brightness when viewing pictures, autoplaying video, rotating pictures to best fit the screen, and so on), works quickly and has some editing capabilities. I’ll periodically inspect all available libre gallery apps to see if I can finally replace this app, but nothing has ever held a candle to F-Stop.

1 Like

I use a FOTO Gallery but am also looking for a FOSS option.

Found these two that got updates recently and sound ok:
Simple Gallery Pro - Photo Manager & Editor (Browse your memories without any interruptions.) - https://f-droid.org/app/com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro

A Photo Manager (Manage local photos: Find/Copy/Edit-Exif and show in Gallery or Map.) - https://f-droid.org/app/de.k3b.android.androFotoFinder

1 Like

I use either Google Photos or the Files app. Both were included with the FP3. I tried some third party gallery apps, but found that none of those had a significant value-add.

1 Like

I had the exact same problem, and recently started testing the same two apps that @arizonadeux mentions ; so far, they fill my (basic) needs.

1 Like

I have been looking for the photo viewer app on the Fairphone, but only found the google photos app that I don’t really understand how works. It is messy, photos get moved around without me knowing where they go, and it is not easy to find out what is on- or off-line, so thank you for the suggestion of Simple Gallery. Now I just need to find out how to get the old photos in google photos from the same sim-card over in this app. Can I delete my google photo account without losing photos?

Hi,

you should probably download all your images from Google Photos before deleting your account there. You can then copy them over to your device - but you will of course lose the cloud backup functionality that Google offers (which also frees up storage on your device).

Google has an extensive help for Photos at

where you should find all necessary information about how to export your photos.

Best wishes,
Thomas

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I tried downloading, but all photos got organised into folders, so it’s a right mess to watch photos.

Last ned Outlook for Android