London based Fairphone event 2019

Hi there,

I am from a University with a 2 star Fairtrade Award status, gained in June 2018 through the Fairtrade award pilot scheme. We helped to shape the way other colleges and University’s gain fairtrade status, so we are currently one of 4 with this acceditation across the country. In celebration of this we run Fairtrade Fair for Fairtrade Fortnight on our campus, inviting organisations to come in and help inform and educate our students on Fairtrade, Sustainability, ethical sourcing, empowerment, equality etc. I’ve been trying to get Fairphones to join us since earlier this year without any luck. Would there be an opportunity for Fairtrade Fornight 2019, on our campus, during our Fairtrade Fair??

4 Likes

This is a community forum, so don’t expect to reach the company here, but would you be interested in Fairphone community members joining the event?

3 Likes

Can you tell us the date? Or at least some estimate?

2 Likes

As Paula said this is a community forum, so we (in the community) could probably assist in organising a community based event.

I’m based up in Bradford, but would be happy to help if and where I can.

What would you want to happen, what would it involve, when would this be happening and where? Happy to have this as a PM discussion, but it would be nice if we can involve others from the community in assisting :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And another chance for me to tag some people :grin: : @anthony @Louisa_Radice

4 Likes

And if in fact you want to contact the company, please visit their contact page:
https://www.fairphone.com/en/about/contact-us/?ref=footer
I guess, most likely “press and events” would be the fitting category.

3 Likes

Hi there, yes i would be interested. You can email me on j.e.williamson@mdx.ac.uk and we can discuss further if that helps?

1 Like

Yes, the date we will be holding our events is Monday 25th February 2019. It will be held in our main entrance of our campus. roughly around 10am to 4pm

1 Like

Thanks Chris, absolutely happy to have a community based event. I wanted to use the opportunity at my event to raise aware of Fairphones, what it is, how it is deemed as “Fair” extra, I think this would go down brilliantly with our students. Our students are well aware of Fairtrade now and it’s “Typical” products so I’m looking to branch out a little further. happy to take recommendation on this or if something similar has been done before. The event is being held on our Campus in Hendon NW4, around 10am to 4pm - 25th February 2019.

1 Like

Thanks Bert, I do have a slot scheduled to get in touch with them directly, Oct/Nov time they told me to get back to them and gave me an email address. But happy to work with the Community on it instead??

1 Like

Please write only one reply and respond to someone by quoting their post (highlight a sentence and press the “quote” button that appears) or referring to them by @mentioning them.

2 Likes

Hi,
I guess, community and company don’t have to be alternatives. Maybe they could both be involved.
While the community could serve as an example of public engagement, the company obviously can illustrate/inform about all the business struggles, hardships and dependencies that stand in the way of fair(er) electronics.
By the way; do you know about a kind of pioneer in fair electronics, the fair computer mouse from Germany? This project started in 2009 and the mouse hit the market as the first (partially) fair IT-gadget by the end of 2012.
You find contact information on this page: https://www.nager-it.de/en/informationen/kontakt
And media information on this page: https://www.nager-it.de/en/informationen/presse
Maybe they would be interested as well.

1 Like

Thanks @BertG no i didnt, I’ll take a look at that as well. I’m trying to think of things that will really appeal to students, get them interested. This is great, thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.