Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

Unified NLP is very cool, but only a replement for Location Services, not for the Maps API, which - I guess - is what Strava needs.

Thanks for the recommendations. I currently have HEREMaps but havenā€™t made use of it. It isnā€™t quite what I need because it does not offer navigation for cyclists (only cars, pedestrians, and stupidly: public transport). As for Strava, I sideloaded it, but it requires Google services to run. Strangely it does not require Google Maps enabled as it seems to be accessing it through the web.

I think the Google Maps API is part of the Google Play Services and not the Google Maps App. But donā€™t take my word for it.

I got used to the Google-provided Trust Agents for ā€œSmart Unlockingā€ the phone, e.g. when connected to my carā€™s BT hands free audio system. Going Google-free (without a FP2 Iā€™m testing this on my OPO) thereā€™s no trust agent - is there an alternative?

Thank you!

Not really to the topic but it bugs me: Why would puclic transport be stupid in a maps app?

3 Likes

Does anyone know of a decent weather app or widget? My F-Droid search wasnā€™t terribly convincingā€¦ Ideally Iā€™d like something where I can just store a few locations by postal code, no location services necessary. If I need a new location Iā€™m happy to add it manually. Thanks!

2 Likes

I am sorry about this comment, I must be one of very few people who do not need assisted navigation when taking public transport :grin:

Depends what country you are in. In the UK the Met Office app is well designed and comprehensive despite a dated design. I think you can get it on f-droid.

Priority would be Germany, though something that can also handle other countries would of course be even better :wink:

It does do Germany and probably any other country you can think of. Maybe you should also try asking on the German speaking forum?

1 Like

Iā€™ve got my phone now as well, and am busy ungooglling itā€¦ Until now, Iā€™m having the following issues:

The ā€˜disableā€™ button for Google Play Services is sometimes greyed out, sometimes not. If anybody knows when and why please let me know.

For me, itā€™s greyed out and I canā€™t disable. Is there any known trick to disable this app/service?

Anytime I Installed an F-Droid-app, the telephone gave me a notification. Forgot what it precisely was, but it involved google chekink app-integrity or something? I accidentally accepted. Does anybody know, how to change this setting (and maybe make sure, I donā€™t get the message in the future?

Thanks.

2 Likes

I (thought I) ungoogled my phone. Afterwards I installted AFWall (Firewall) and Facebook (but NOT the messenger). In my normal Firewall-settings FB ist noch permitted to access the internet. But if somebody writes a FB-Message, it pops up as a notificatin. I canā€™t open the message, as I donā€™t have the app.
How do I stop FB getting all the messages? I also have the App Autostarts and have tried to disable FB everywhere.
Ist it Google Play Services that snoops around???

Ok, I found the trick via this practical ungoogling website (focused on Android 6.0)

Key is the order in which you disable apps. I enabled Google Play Store, GOogle Drive and Google account manager (just guess-work) and suddenly I could disable Google Play Services.

3 Likes

Another issue after ungoogling my phone ( I have the Google Framework and Play Services running but all Google apps apart from the Play store are disabled): casting a short video with Chromecast was awful. Both picture and sound are very scrambled. I am not sure though whether this is actually related to de-Googling or should just go under the general issues thread?

So I also tried ungoogling my FP2 as much as possible. A few apps that I couldnā€™t replace with F-Droid that I wanted to have nontheless (SoundCloud, EasyEyes and stuff like that) I sent to my phone via bluetooth after having extracted the .apk on my tablet using Apk Extractor (only available on the Play Store so thatā€™s kind of a weird workaround)

SoundCloud tells me that I have to update Google Play Services for it to run, I tap ā€œupdateā€ and nothing happens, but the app works perfectly :wink:

Since I disabled Google Services Framework I keep getting the message that Google Play Services crashed. Thatā€™s a little tedious, does anyone know how to get rid of that? Canā€™t disable Google Play Services itselfā€¦

And Osmand is annoying as hell (to be quite honest it has always been to me, horrible user interface imho), this time because I canā€™t download the world base map. The download always gets stuck at 1%, no matter if Iā€™m on wifi or cellular network. Has anyone made the same experience?

As a gallery app I am using Quickpic, same ā€œtrickā€ with Apk Extractor and bluetooth, couldā€™nt find a good alternative on F-Droid

If youā€™re in need of a good dictionary app like I am, I found a seemingly trustworthy link to the APK of dict.cc, couldnā€™t find a good dictionary on F-Droid.

2 Likes

Here it is on F-Droid.

Such nonsense messages could be stopped with root and XPosed.

I also got that until I disabled Google Play Services, when I was connected to the internet. Did you try this:

I quite like QuickDic. It stores dictionaries offline, but of course doesnā€™t know as many words as large online dictionaries.

2 Likes

oui oui, bien sƻr !
Ce nā€™est pas du tout ce que jā€™avais demandĆ© mais juste celui au-dessous duquel jā€™avais rĆ©pondu.
Je ne savais pas encore Ć  ce moment lĆ  que les posts se suivent par ordre chronologique et non par ā€œpostantā€ā€¦
1000 excuses pour cette confusion, je nā€™aurais jamais pensĆ© demander un travail pareil !
Jā€™ai mĆŖme honte que tu aies pu croire Ƨa !

Tā€™inquiĆØtes, je tā€™en veux pas :wink: et dĆ©solĆ©e que je nā€™ai plus rĆ©pondu Ć  grand chose depuis - jā€™ai eu un entretien dā€™embauche et jā€™en aurai la suite la semaine prochaine - bien important pour moi. Du coup, pas beaucoup de tempsā€¦ A+

Hooray, it worked! I managed to disable Google Play Services. The link that schept posted helped me a lot. I had to enable aaaaall the GAPPS again and then when I tried disabling Google Play Services first thing it finally worked.

I now remember why I didnā€™t look for App Extractor on F-Droid, because I thought I had to use a googelized device to download and extract apps from the Play Store. But after two more days of reading on the forum Iā€™m gonna try evozi next, thanks, community!

Iā€™ll try out QuickDic soon, so far Iā€™m quite happy I found dict.cc :))

3 Likes

BTW if there still is the need I would like to offer my french skills to translate the wiki post. Iā€™m not a native speaker but I would give it a shot. I would just need some help with specific terms like ā€œrootableā€, ā€œcompilingā€ etc. ā€¦ :wink: Anyone interested in doing that together?