Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

Use
these
sources.

Ok, so apparently, this isn’t quite true:

They still encrypt your messages, but with another method. Nevertheless they abandonned the passphrase and changed it to pin/pattern. But the thing is, the pin/pattern is the same one you use when unlocking your device and you can’t change it, so this feature is essentially completetly useless.

1 Like

Thanks for the sources, will take a deeper look later. But, according to the later link…

…this statement doesn’t seem to be accurate. A «random key stored in the Android keystore» is not the same thing as the user PIN. But anyway, I need to study the cryptography architecture of Signal to re-learn what’s this feature for (it must have a purpose).

2 Likes

Hello dear community,

I’d love to use my new Farphone 2 without the Google stuff that I find soooo invasive in privacy. I am defintly not a geek so I try to find tutorial to do so and got stuck… How to use my phone, the main daily apps without giving my full life to Google ?
There’s also a ethical confusion in my head to go for a Fairphone and still having to use Google everywhere…

Thank so much for your help/tips/ideas!

Here’s a starting point …

2 Likes

My fairphone runs fairly google-less. In particular, there is no Google search, no “Ok Google”, no Google maps, no Google PlayStore, no Google mail, no Google calendar, no Google account, no Google Apps (GAPPS).
My recipe:

1. install Fairphone Open OS which replaces the default Fairphone OS. Official install instructions: https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/user/fairphone-open-source-os-installation-instructions.html
  2. go to settings → developer options → root access and check “apps only”. (Yes, rooting your fairphone is this easy …) This is a necessary precondition for the next step.
  3. Use the included www browser firefox-klar to download f-droid from https://f-droid.org/ Install f-droid. This is an alternative app store. The apps listed in f-droid are not only google-less but also seriously open source.
  4. Download and install a set of google-less Alternatives to essential smartphone applications from f-droid:
    • Internet search: duckduckgo
    • email: K-9 Mail
    • calendar: etar + Todo Agenda + DAVx5 (in case your dates reside on an external calendar server)
    • navigation: OsmAnd and/or Maps
    • public transport: Transportr
    • instant messanger: conversation (You’ll need a XMPP account. I’d recommend wiuwiu.de . But there are viable alternatives)

If a particular app is not listed on f-droid you give yalp a try. This app provides anonymous access to apps on google-play without a google account.

I am quite happy with the above set of apps. Some work even better than the google equivalent…

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your G-free settings ;D.

A privacy/Security issue about Duckduckgo found this Blog (in German).

3 Likes

Thann si much KaiMartin for your réponse and recipe ! I’ll definitly try this out ! I was afraid to root the phone as many people say it could damage the phone. But now I know how to do it clean :wink:

An interesting Web site about how to live without GAFA.

A thorough guide about living without Google can be found here:

2 Likes

There is a critical difference between having to yield data when legally required and doing business based on user data.
Anyway, I recently switched to Metager. The society that runs this service is based in Germany and so is subject to European law. I tend to trust European data protection more than the US american counter part.

3 Likes

You are welcome!
My desktops and laptops all run Linux exclusively. Regular android with all the parts that are declared inaccessible to the user feels rather strange and limiting to me. If “rooting” your android were so dangerous as corporate information suggests, then why are all the rooted by default Linux systems out there virtually free of malware?

1 Like

The guy who writes this blog keeps recommending StartPage, even though they literally pay G00gle and he also wrote that it’s owned by an advertising company now, therefore I wouldn’t trust him blindly (as you shouldn’t anyone).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.