Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

T’was a long time ago and I do not have the FP2 any more. I think it’s Settings - Accounts - Google. Log in with your Google username and pwd and before you do anything else, untick all the boxes otherwise it will start syncing everything automatically. Hope that helps. F.

GMX and Web.de chose the marketing brand “E-Mail made in Germany”, which in particular means nothing while pretending to be extraordinarily secure. I refuse to call this behaviour customer oriented. Not to mention De-Mail, the German approach to secure (not) and trusted (not) legal electronic mail.

Most email providers, just as United Internet, in truth are advertising companies which don’t give a damn about their users’ security, rather profit from tracking and snooping them, collecting their personal data etc. Cynically you could say you get what you pay for.

Therefore I chose to actually pay my email provider of choice for being just a trustworthy email provider.

On the other hand I don’t understand why I should need a separate app just for dealing with just one provider while making use of an open standard (email). There are far better generic apps out there (K-9 Mail, for example).

2 Likes

Hi
I can install Etar and the Offline Calendar on my FP2 OpenOS. But when I want to create an event by tapping on a day or hour, a page opens saying “charging” and nothing else happens. Any idea what that means ?
Thanks à lot

@StephanK, thanks for the explanation about web.de and GMX.

That’s why I use K9 with a paid and very trustworthy e-mail provider as well. :wink: (Dutch provider XS4ALL was derived from a hacker collective almost 25 years ago. If anyone cares about privacy and security, it’s them.)

Murks, what does the screen look like? Is it an Etar-screen, or the FP charging screen?

1 Like

Hi
I think it’s an ETAR screen, the menu is still available. I don’t even know what is being charged. After all, I didn’t wait for hours … :frowning: Does it mean the application is trying to establish a network connection ? I thought its meant to be “standalone” ?

I am curious, if it’s not overreaching on my part, what components do you use microG for ? I have explored it for Ingress (got me banned lol) but apart from this, LocationProviders and apps which require GMF (which I usually just doesn’t install) I wouldn’t use it. Most of the apps I see on GPlay are on Aptoide, too.

1 Like

Location (Mozilla backend), Maps API v2 (OpenStreetMap) and Push Notifications (yes, I know, metadata…)
I also use BlankStore for update my (ugh) non-free apps. Most of them are transport apps (Transportr doesn’t have support for Madrid metro nor train) and communication tools (hate their GCM dependency, ¬¬). Everything else is free on my phone (I prefer mobile websites to proprietary apps).

Aptoide apps could depend of GMS too. It just depends on the developer.

2 Likes

Aptoide apps could depend of GMS too. It just depends on the developer.

Most GMF dependent apps I use from Aptoide (like slack) whine about the lack of GMF but work anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I know. The “GMS are needed” popup is very annoying for me (specially for Slack) and I prefer knowing when someone mentions me (or @here or @all) on Slack too, :slight_smile:
Anyway, I needed the Maps API v2, so… But I would be nice to have an option to filter which apps can request a token for GCM (I don’t know why my bus app requires this, honestly)

PD: Should any moderator move this conversation to other microG-related thread? I feel it doesn’t belong to this thread anymore.
Edit: Thank you, @Stefan

1 Like

Hello Marco
I have owned my FP2 for almost a year, I do not like the ethos of the Google corporation and would like to be free of it. I understand I can change my operating system but as I am 66 years old and while not stupid I’m confused by the jargen used when reading the topics on “rooting” etc. I would love the FP2 more if everything google was removed from it and I could download the apps I chose to have.
CAN YOU HELP ME

Andy Grant recycledtwice@yahoo.com

Hi,
It is actually not too difficult, you just need some patience!
Try to read this post first:

Begin with installing fairphone open os and then you can check what you miss.
Good luck and I hope that you will like the open os! Your battery should last longer.

And by the way, here’s the direct link to the instructions on how to install fairphone open os:
http://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/user/fairphone-open-source-os-installation-instructions.html
I used the first method, which is easy and worked fine for me!

Be aware that without Google Mobile Services (GMS), which you won’t have by default on the Open OS, you will not have access to the Google Play Store, which means, that you will have to make some extra effort if you want to install apps from there.
If you are happy with the apps from, e.g., fdroid, then forget what I said above.

There’s a lot of information on a phone without google here:

2 Likes

I have a FP1 and am Google free without having changed the operating system. Apps come from F-Droid, some directly from companies (german railway company e.g.). Some of them will tell you, that they can’t be used without Google Playstore account, but work fine if you ignore that.
Some Apps won’t be possible to install (the ones only available in Google Playstore), or maybe only with some tricks, which I don’t know as I don’t really miss them.
Big advantage: No Apps constantly sending data and “spam”: saves your battery and roaming costs (if you are frequently abroad this matters).
No geo-localization seither, which has advantages and disadvantages. I just decided to have an extra GPS for hikes in unknown territory. For maps I recommend Open Street Map.

1 Like

Hi,
I have two questions: the first, if we care about open source and free alternatives we should not use owncloud while we should use nextcloud that it is the open source and free version. From wikipedia
Despite the fork’s young age, the amount of Nextcloud contributions quickly overtook ownClouds numbers as can be seen by GitHub statistics.[14][15] It has been compared multiple times with the fork of OpenOffice, where engineers left the project to form LibreOffice
What do you think?
The second, some of the user of the forum @paulakreuzer are able to use davdroid together with owncloud or nextcloud?
Thank you

2 Likes

I installed the latest version of open source OS of fairphone 2. Since the version release 16.05.0 it supports Unified Location provider.
What is better to do in order to use all features without google eye, installing µg UnifiedNlp (no GAPPS) together with some location providers or install microG or do I need both?
Thank you

Yes, Davdroid with Owcloud is a combination used rather often. I’m using this combination myself with a self hosted Owncloud-Server.

Btw: Owncloud is open source as well, so there’s no issue in using it in this regard.

1 Like

Ok thank you.
Of course both owncloud and nextcloud are open source software while only the second is free in the deep sense. There is the same ratio between openoffice and libreoffice as stated by wikipedia.

1 Like

If you just want to use it for the location services then the unified nlp is enough. Installing the core will emulate (and indirectly/anonymously use) more google services like play and push. If you want that you’ll need to follow this guide (Level 5 Step 5).

1 Like

Ah you’re referring to the ”proprietary Enterprise Edition with additional features" (cited from the Wikipedia article").

I personally don’t have an issue when a company is providing commercial add-ons to a an open source product. Probably without Owncloud Inc. Own-/Nextcloud wouldn’t have been started or got as far at all. I’m working for money myself.

Thanks for the hint to Nextcloud, I think I’ll have a look at it when I can afford the time.

2 Likes