Living Wage Petition

Hi everyone,

Jan here with a bit of activism on a Monday afternoon :smile: :fist:
Many of you know that living wages are a topic close to our hearts. Our living wage program has been up and running since 2019. For less than $2 extra per phone, all people working in factories that don’t earn a living wage get an additional salary of up to three months.

As with most things Fairphone, the idea here is to establish living wages as the new normal in the electronics industry and have other (read: bigger) players adopt our frameworks in their assembly factories to really scale the impact. We’ve openly shared our guidelines, investment calculators and our legal templates - We’ve even sent personal letters to the CEOs of all the big smartphone brands out there, just in case they missed our invite… but no answer yet.

However, there’s a new opening for us to put living wages on the map. As part of their upcoming Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive, we’re calling on the EU to make living wages a human right. Every signature in this petition gets us closer to adding it to the ballot.:

Change.org Petition

I’ll check back in here over the course of the week if you have any questions for us.
As always, really appreciate the support.

All the best,
Jan

11 Likes

Thanks for the work on supplying a decent or better wage, it is the only reason 3 people in my family bought an FP but I don’t sign petitions.

I don’t like the idea of government oversight with all the legislation that follows and then has to be enforced. It’s a great job for government and enforcers but not one I want to support.

Will always buy fairtrade but will never enforce on another.

All the best and thank you for your efforts, but I’m not trying to change the world for the better :slight_smile:

1 Like

An update here is that we already have 2.5k signatures! :tada: Thanks to those of you who have already signed. We’ve still got some way to go to reach 20k, so if you haven’t done so yet, please do! :blue_heart:

4 Likes

I was not able to find the recipient of the petition on change.org - thanks for providing it here. Maybe you want to communicate that gap to them - ?

Signed.

I very much appreciate your work, am a happy user of FP2 on FPOOS and have moved some family members to Fairphone and/or /e/. The combination of sustainability, social responsibility and privacy I get with your products is unparalleled (as far as I can tell) - that is worth a significant premium for me.

Danke & Grüße von
nobi

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.