Linux Deploy: Run real Linux on your FP2

I can recommend “Linux Deploy” for those who want a fully blown Linux installation on their FP2 or other Android devices. I tested it today and the performance running Ubuntu with LXDE desktop and desktop apps like LibreOffice was outstanding.
Linux Deploy is not a virtual machine hypervisor but mounts the linux filesystem in a chroot “jail” and shares Androids kernel and the phone hardware. You can even run several distros in parallel.
VNC viewer (on F-Droid) or any other VNC application directly on the phone, or on a remote machine, or an X-Server can be used to display the desktop.
Good news for FOSS fans: The app is not only available on the Google Play store, but the APK can be downloaded directly from the apps github page: https://github.com/meefik/linuxdeploy/releases

11 Likes

When you go to “Yalp” and you are looking for “Linux Deploy” you are getting a more detailed explanation about this app, what it needs and what it can do!

I don’t see a connection betweet “real Linux” and “Ubuntu” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I only just saw this - and… I don’t see a connection between “real Linux” and “App”? You mean a linux running inside an Android? That’s not really what I was hoping to see when looking at this thread… :frowning:

1 Like

Linux is just a kernel… The operating system (e. g. a Linux distribution) consists of the kernel and the userspace portion, mostly being GNU. Android consists of a (heavily patched) Linux Kernel and its own userspace portion.

This is what you have to expect these days, as disgusting it may be. Let’s hope Fairphone joins Librem’s efforts for a true Free Software phone.

2 Likes

I tried to install debian and it failed:

[17:17:18] >>> deploy
[17:17:18] ## bootstrap/rootfs : do_install && do_configure
[17:17:18] :: Installing bootstrap/rootfs ... 
[17:17:18] Checking installation path ... done
[17:17:18] Making file system (auto) ... ext2fs_check_if_mount: Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to missing mtab file while determining whether /sdcard/linux.img is mounted.
[17:17:19] done
[17:17:20] Checking file system ... done
[17:17:20] Mounting partitions: 
[17:17:20] / ... mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /data/local/mnt failed: Invalid argument
[17:17:20] fail
[17:17:20] <<< deploy

Did you need to edit any installation configuration settings? Hod did you mount your SD card? Any other idea why it failed?

Thanks
Simon

I did an update to latest Linux Deploy 2.0.5-229 (on FP2 with rooted and latest FP Open OS) and tried to install debian, but still fail:
(note: I did run it via adb for easier copping of output, using the app on the phone gives the same result)

root@FP2:/data/data/ru.meefik.linuxdeploy/bin # ./linuxdeploy -d -p debian deploy
## bootstrap/rootfs : do_install && do_configure
:: Installing bootstrap/rootfs ... 
Checking installation path ... done
Making new disk image (1596 MB) ... done
Making file system (ext4) ... done
Checking file system ... done
Mounting partitions: 
/ ... mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /data/local/mnt failed: Device or resource busy
fail
root@FP2:/data/data/ru.meefik.linuxdeploy/bin # 

log file for command with included trace parameter: linux_deploy_log1.txt.gpx (51.8 KB)
config file for image: debian.conf.gpx (833 Bytes)
(note: restore suffix, had to change it to be able to upload the files)

I just noted that the debian.img was created on internal storage although I intended to create it on the (external) micro SD card. To be honest, I’m still struggling a bit with the concept of how adroid handles the micro sd card (which GUI options lead to which mount points for which usage, etc?). Not sure if this is the root cause here, but maybe still worth to fix. :slight_smile:

@M_Dammer can you give me a helping hand?
How did you configure your micro SD card (if you use any)? What settings in Deploy Linux and for the image file to be installed did you change? Do you spot my error?

Thanks for any help!
Simon

This topic was automatically closed after 183 days. New replies are no longer allowed.