Lineage 17.1 - FP2

I had a dream for Christmas … and have it for 2021… :wink:

2 Likes

Juste wondering now. Did you have an SD-card formatted as internal or external storage? Mine is external, and perhaps that’s why I had bugs saving photos on it.

As external, if i’m right.

1 Like

Hi
In my case the random reboot happens after charging the phone. About 5-10 reboots, then everything is fine until the next charging. It can not be the battery since it happens even if the phone lays still on the table. And no problem when moving around with it. I have my FP2 since about 5 years. Switched to Lineage OS about about two years ago because of Android10. Currently installed version 17.1 with update from 18th December. I have the problem since about the beginning of 2020, it must have come with some of the Lineage updates.
Happy New Year,
Markus

1 Like

As LOS 17.1 for FP2 became official in March 2020, that would mean since you installed it. And it also means you can’t have installed LOS 17.1 2 years ago.

As for me, I noticed these reboots in september-october, but I probably had a few before.
And they’re not as often for me (once a week) and not necessarily while charging. It may be another problem for you.
Did you nevertheless try another battery, it may help (you could contact a fairphoneangel perhaps)?

I continued to use LOS 16.1, have spared me the installation of 17.1, because I expect me more no improvement in stability
But I can give you one suggestion:
If you have root access you can try
Battery Charge Limit

the program will stop charging before reaching 100%.
I have set it to 92%, and I believe at least that my reboots are less.
2 Likes

I had a reboot this morning just after disabling flight mode, and I’m wondering whether my reboots don’t happen when there is a reconnection to the network. I’ll look more carefully next time.

Switched to 17.1 in April 2020
Update nightlies roughly every 2-3 weeks

#) Reboots
Never had any random reboots during normal operation.
Maybe this is because I regularly (almost daily) shut down the phone completely.
But - I do experience occasional, unintended reboots when shutting down. Roughly every 10th shut down.

#) Mobile issue
Over the time it changed behavior
. at the beginning only first connect successful, no reconnect possible - had to reboot completely
. in between (summer/autumn) better situation - repeated reconnects without reboot more frequently possible. But never fully predictable.
. presently back to ‘works only once’. The trick with switching to flight mode doesn’t work for me (never has, as far as I can recall)

1 Like

Yes indeed! I hadn’t said it in my post.

Same for me.

Yes, and then for me flight mode would sometimes work, and then sometimes wouldn’t.

Same for me, though even switching flight mode for 5 minutes doesn’t work (really five minutes, shorter may not work) for you?

1 Like

I never checked out the flight mode option really systematically.
But right now flight mode 1-2 min didn’t work.
Previously (some months ago) longer flight mode (10 - 30 min) didn’t work either.

2 Likes

@chrmhoffmann any hope for LOS 18.1 on FP2?

2 Likes

Hi Martin,

Just looking into this thread again after some time.

The problem with the non-working timeout for automatic locking seems to be a general problem on LOS 17.1. See, for example, here:

If you still want to use a timeout for screen locking, you may want to try the following workaround: Turn OFF the setting “On/Off locks device immediately” (translated from German). Then the timeout set above is honored. To lock the screen manually, you could use the On/Off Menu (press and hold On/Off button). Enable the corresponding option in the Settings under System > Keys > On/Off Menu > Lock (also translated, so no guarantee for correct labels).

Greetz
Phant

2 Likes

Hi there,

just to add my comment:
I upgraded our three FP2 to LineageOS 17.1 in July and keep them up to date quite regularly. All of them experience the “no mobile data”-feature.
I did not spend too much time in investigating, but it’s hard to find a pattern when mobile data works and when it doesn’t. 90% when leaving wifi it does not. Reboot helps.

But nevertheless: Thanks to Chris (and everyon else) to maintain Lineage for FP2. I hope for some more time! :slight_smile:

Regards
Hansjörg

2 Likes

According to /e/, the Fairphone 2 is scheduled to be upgraded to /e/'s own Android 10 this January. Since /e/ is based on LineageOS, a comparison of possible quirks could be interesting, and the e foundation has developers on board to look into stuff. Perhaps there could be synergy effects :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for saying. I will do some comparisons when it’s released.
(I was considering registering for downloading the alpha or beta build (I don’t quite get how they deal with their builds), but if it seems it’s ready…)

I’ve been using Android 10 based /e/OS (alpha version) for about 6 months now and I’ve never noticed that problem.

3 Likes

I had some spare-time to between X-mas and new year’s eave and finally jumped to 17.1 with my Fairphone 2 (from LOS 16).

My setup is very simple:

• latest Lineage OS (no gapps)
  • F-Droid priv. extension (OTA is the correct one? had to install the magisk module in addition as it did not work with the extension flashed via TWRP)
  • Magisk - replaced Lineage SU Addon to be able to use some apps which require root
  • AFWall+ as firewall is running

I also face the two issues. Mobile data does not work sometimes, sometimes it does.
I normally de-active Mobile Data when I’m at home and active WLAN. When I leave my flat I do it the other way around.
I also still have random reboots, but I already had them on LOS16 - never really investigated this, as it happens about 1-3 times per week and I somehow live with that even it is a bit annoying.

Most annoying thing with rebooting for me is, that I use Spotify (I get it via from Aurora store and it works fine without GSF) and after every reboot the external SD card on my FP2 needs some time until it is useable after the reboot. Spotify looses all the downloaded music on the sd-card and the only way to fix this is to restore the data (I use OAndBackupX to do so). Now with the additional necessary reboots I have to go through this procedure even more often :-/.

1 Like

I used (and use) this app

Battery Charge Limit

as well, but for me it does not prevent the random reboots. @d2w what it your lower “begin-charging” % value?

In general for me it feels like that the battery lasts a bit longer with LOS 17.1 than with 16 - not sure why.

1 Like

I have entered 80% for “begin-charging”.

I still have Reboots, but not so directly related to the charging.
At the moment, mine has been running for 7 days, it may be that it runs for a few weeks, but it can also be that it is rebooting in the next moment, both has already been experienced.

To everyone facing mobile data not turning ON issue.

Could you please check if you have these errors in the log?:Lineage 17.1 - FP2

Based on that we can try some other things.

2 Likes